When was the Koronus Passage Closed?

By MorbidDon, in Rogue Trader Gamemasters

I thought I read that the Maw was first discovered - then people spread out into Koronus, eventually leading to Footfall being founded then it closed for hundreds of years and now has been open for less than 200 years?

I could be totally off - as I haven't read the history in several months... (both from the core book + the supplement offered for free on FF website links)

The dates I could find in my research are as follows:

410.M41 Founding of Footfall

813.M41 The Maw Closes (Early in that Year)

Civil War & Mayhem Ensue
813.M41 The Maw Opens (Late in that Year)

Wasn't the Passage aka the Maw closed for like 400 years after its discovery, or am I wrong?

Please Advise

Morbid

917-924.M40 Port Wander is founded by the Imperial Navy.

997.M40 The Discovery of the Maw.

055.M41 The Lords Sector Calixis are granted the right to issue Warrants of Trade.

410.M41 Rogue Trader Parsimus Dewain founds Footfall.

422.M41 Waaagh! Gulgrog lays siege to Port Wander.

528.M41 An Explorator sub-fleet begins the Mechanicus exploration of the Expanse.

754-761.M41 Aspyce Chorda begins her campaign against the Chaos pirates of Iniquity.

794.M41 Enter - Karrad Vall.

805.M41 Karrad Vall establishes his base at Iniquity

813.M41 The Strangling: The Great Warp Storms swell and the Maw snaps shut for the first time in centuries. This lasts only a year.

816.M41 Current date line and the events of Forsaken Bounty, Dark Frontier, Into the Maw, etc.

It took over 200 years after the first legendary passage of the Maw for the Angevin Crusade to even begin. That crusade, the war against Meretech,the forming of the Calixis Sector, and the eventual establishment of Port Wander absorbed another 1600 years. All that takes us back up to the top.

Also keep in mind that time in the warp runs weird. I figure that Rogue Traders only age a year for every 5-6 years planet-dwellers age. So while 1600 years might seem a long time, 300-400 isn't so much.

Note that the line in bold print mentions the closing of the Maw, and that lasted for less than a year. It's also the first time in centuries. It doesn't mention how long the other times lasted.

I have to wonder why you've asked this. People in the past have posted on this subject. They use it as a plot device to reset their campaigns. As presented, they were all bad ideas. Be careful how you use abitrary and contrived events in your campaign. They tend to make your players lose interest.

Edited by Errant Knight

I wanted to create a "bunker" on footfall that hasn't been opened since those first founding years when it was built and utilized...

My players (those are who versed) have a tendency to connect the proverbial dots - so I wanted to get my dates right was all Errant.

AS far as the NPC "public" knows on Footfall - said "Bunker" is inaccessible and no one knows why or what dwells within was the theme of this site I wanted to introduce in my Footfall GM's Guide.

Again I could swore I saw the info somewhere - looks like I'm wrong though...

Granted I thought the whole premise of RT was rediscovering worlds that were cut off from the Warp Storms that constitute said "Maw"

Thanks for the Insight tho - I will tread lightly as I don't seek to upset player interest - if anything Player interest trumps GM interests, so to speak

Stay GAMING

Morbid

Ah, players that investigate, take notes, and deduce from their findings...ain't that a b*t*h? You love 'em and hate 'em simultaneously. They cause us extra work.

As I understand, most human-inhabited worlds of the Expanse were colonized during the Dark Ages or the Great Crusade. I could be mistaken. I'm certain there are many that are Botany Bay-style colonies of the last 1000 years.

Yeah you know how it is with these pesky players LOL!

Anyhow - granted this may be something specific to my Bizzaro Timeline for 40k

Humanity’s first foray into The Expanse is theorized to have occurred between 400.M39 and 800.M39; though “wide-spread” travel there doesn’t happen until the beginning of M41…

The Koronus after discovery was inaccessible from 800.M36 to 997.M40 (rough estimate of 4000 years).

I.E. Window of Time / History in which to seed things = 4,000 Years (humanity's cutoff due to the Maw)

How's this Look?

760.M36: Haarlock's Progress (may have gone beyond into the Koronus Expanse)

101.M38: The Koronus Fragments are found in a data vault…

322-384.M39: Angevin Crusade
878.M39: Abenicus’ Theorem and the Mistaken Age (suggests that there exists a safe passage through the veil of Warp Storms that crowd the edges of the Drusus Marches)

917-924.M40: Port Wander is founded by the Imperial Navy.

997.M40: Rogue Trader Purity Lathimon discovered a narrow warp route through the raging Warp Storm…

997.M40: The Discovery of the Maw.

055.M41: Calixian Warrants of Trade Granted for Koronus Expanse

101.M41: Kobras Aquairre enters the Koronus Expanse

151.M41: Death of Kobras Aquairre

152.M41: First Eldar Raid in the Koronus Expanse

188-274.M41: Formation of Winterscale's Realm

410.M41 Rogue Trader Parsimus Dewain founds Footfall…

422.M41: WAAAGH! Gulgrog Assaults Port Wander

528.M41: An Explorator sub-fleet begins the Mechanicus exploration of the Expanse / Disciples of Thule Enter the Koronus Expanse

703.M41: The Haarlock Purges

741.M41: Thulean data-vaults recovered from Dolorium's voids…

785.M41: The Claimant Wars : A short, destructive conflict erupts between the forces of the Rogue Traders Calligos Winterscale and Aspyce Chorda on Lucin’s Breath.

813.M41: The Strangling: The Great Warp Storms swell and the Maw snaps shut for the first time in centuries. This lasts only a year.

816.M41: An Age of Opportunity : A new generation of Rogue Traders and their retinues of explorers begins to move into the Koronus Expanse. They enter the little-known region in search of new opportunities for wealth, commerce and Imperial colonization. Little do they know of the hidden dangers that lie within the Expanse, and the threat they present to the Calixis Sector and the broader Imperium of Man...

Edited by MorbidDon

My knowledge of 40k lore is less than stellar. I make up for it with a bit of real rocket science. To me, the warp storms are less a supernatural occurance inhabited by demons than they are stellar clusters with stars so close the radiation makes the place uninhabitable (except to certain xenos that ignorant humans choose to call demons), while the stellar void signatures make it unnavigable.

So I'm going to say your timeline looks excellent, though I can't say how well it fits in with canon.

Needs to be 10,000+ years earlier. Humanity first colonized the Expanse prior to the end of the Dark Age of Technology.

Hey LoneKharnivore - do you mean M26?

If so thats even better for me to seed things...

Advise?