Questions about the Stoic complication

By Notch, in Rogue Trader Rules Questions

Hello everybody!

Stoic: The vessel behaves like a beast of burden, plodding but reliable. Due to its somewhat plodding behaviour,
whenever the crew would gain Profit Factor from an Endeavour, reduce the amount gained by 1. However, whenever
one of the ship’s Component’s becomes damaged or unpowered, roll 1d10. On a 7 or higher, the ship shrugs off the
damage and it is ignored.

1) How am I supposed to explain in game terms the reduction in profit factor? Ok, my ship is "plodding but reliable"... so what? They pay me less for that?

2) Does the malus apply to multiple ships? Do I earn 0 PF for having an armada of reliable ships?

3) Isn't the malus too much? I can handle -1 speed or -4 hull integrity, but -1 PF is a LOT in RT terms.

I don't understand it quite well, since the other machine spirit oddities are ship-related, while this is endeavour-related.

If the wine's bad, throw it out.

Seriously, if you don't like the option, change it or throw it out. I think it's supposed to indicate the ship always coming in late. You can roleplay that out, if you wish, or simply assume that it does everything slow, including warp travel, in-system travel, loading and unloading cargo, etc. After the initial ship, I ignore the tables. I make up my own from that point on. There's some really good examples on the 'net. I've stolen most of mine.

If the wine's bad, throw it out.

Seriously, if you don't like the option, change it or throw it out.

I know, but I don't like the idea of changing something just because I don't like it. I'm usually for "accept the result and try to make the best of it". I'll discuss it with my GM.

I think it's supposed to indicate the ship always coming in late. You can roleplay that out, if you wish, or simply assume that it does everything slow, including warp travel, in-system travel, loading and unloading cargo, etc.

That wouldn't mean a malus in speed or in navigation times?

Awhile back we brainstormed 15 new oddities to raise the number up to 25, so you could give that a perusal to see if they would work for you here: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/85180-lmachine-spirit-oddities/

No guarantee that they're balanced, but that's the 40K Promise!

Nice ideas! Thanks for the input.

You could keep Stoic but talk to the DM to give your Rogue Trader Hard Bargain earlier for free or a discount since he's used to talking around the fact that he showed up late.

It takes the ship longer to get everywhere meaning that more provisions and more crew payments will be needed during an adventure. Resulting in a lower gain of profit factor. For multiple ships with that same oddity I suggest either changing some or lowering the penalty as it could quickly become impossible to use them all, alternatively, if that isn't a choice, just leave one ship at port and then switch ships letting the fact that you won't need to stop for repairs (just walk over to the next one) when you stop buy you back some time.

Hmm, one would think, without actually getting my books out to check, that Ork ships should absorb more hits, being more armored junk, and less of their parts actually contributing to their functionality. If the Orks can think "this stuff'll work!", and it does, it should stand to reason that "ah, it don't looks dat' bad. Just dinged a little." should keep the same junk working.

I know that in BFK, Ork ships that have torps have infinite torps; they'll shove any junk that might not be important into the tubes. Otherwise, the Imperial forces only have three ships and a distant station to fight with, not including anything you bring to the table, so boarding actions seem like they could be a good way for the Ork ships to distract you, and let the Roks pass. Again, this is more my thought than me actually looking in my books, so sorry if it's just whatever. In my brain, Ork ships SHOULD have shite BS, as Orks ALWAYS miss with guns, but they should be able to take a hit, and keep coming, then close to board you, so they can loot. make sure it doesn't all just wind down to your party is too advanced, and/or you actually got all the help you could. In that case, you might steamroll them, in the event the campaign did another "baby's first adventure?", and set the Orks for if one or two assets left you for dead, and you still want to win. Sometimes, this game can be good for it, between them not knowing what you've done, and you possibly pimping gear and skills, no offense; sometimes, overly clever players break the whole game, and it doesn't even seem weird, till it goes flop in their favor.

Horrendously silly thought. Perhaps give the Orks, maybe the Roks, so that the cruisers aren't impeded, boarding torpedoes, sort of another way to get boyz on your ships, and initiate boarding actions. Don't dump the whole thing inexorably back in the campaigns favor, but if it helps the Orks get more quickly to how they tend to fight, go for it.

Edited by venkelos