Imperial Guard for Regionals?

By Jedlington, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest - Strategy

I'll be playing in Regionals this weekend.

I'm traditionally a SM player (having won the store championship with a fairly boring but consistent Cato deck) but want to try something different for Regionals, and I'm thinking AM. Knowing our local meta, it will also be nice for some variety!

I've got, what I think is a fairly solid AM deck together - but the big question is - Straken or Coteaz??

I've played a few games with Straken (with mixed success) but haven't had a chance to trial Coteaz. I love the idea of him, but think that you need to play a few games to get the feel of him, particularly getting used to the sacrifice mechanism. I also think that Straken's signature squad are better, but that 8/8/8 has me tempted...

I don't think the deck needs to change very much between the two - and will literally just be the case of swapping the sig squad in and out.

Are there any experienced AM players out there who could lend some friendly advice??

Hello,

A.M. has been my faction from the very beginning and every chance I get-I play them.

I have always felt that the difference between Straken and Coteaz is that Straken is more of a team player who needs at times a good amount of protection in order to make it to end game as opposed to Coteaz who is just fairly self-serving and can hit real hard.

In my deck with Straken I tend to put him with a lot of soldiers/warriors and try to keep the cost curve fairly low. In my deck with Coteaz, I tend to put more cards that will allow him to be fueled longer and just have a great command game.