X-Wings - Trench Run Trio

By stackeffect, in X-Wing

Awhile back I posted a question about repainting the cannon barrels on one of my X-Wings. Well, one thing led to another, and soon after that I did a complete repaint of Wedge, then Luke, and I just completed Biggs. Before I began on the first X-Wing, I had never painted a miniature before.

Wedge is a little rough for photos (as he was the first full repaint and had to be redone after the first attempt), but he looks good during games.

I learned a lot through the process, especially the freehand detailing.

ra46Qaml.jpg

zcUGsX0l.jpg

Red 2 - Wedge Antilles

GF9qVfCl.jpg

Red 5 - Luke Skywalker

7hLoDVpl.jpg

Red 3 - Biggs Darklighter

A2D1AEDl.jpg

Edited to add image.

Edited by stackeffect

I love how this has no replies but almost 20 likes. These are great, especially that Astromech detail!!

You could say that everyone is awestruck by the incredible beauty of the models.

They are absolutely gorgeous.

Great job! Did you freehand the markings or did you use a liquid mask/masking tape?

Thank you guys for the encouragement.

I freehanded the markings with the notable exception of the spirals on Luke and Bigg's laser barrels. For that I used very thinly cut masking tape, and it went very smoothly.

When I started on Wedge, I attempted masking the wing markings, but after some seepage on the larger red parts, I gave up on the masking approach. I went back over and freehanded it all (including the red I had already done). Usually I had to touch up with the base color, especially on the smaller markings or the long straight lines. Ultimately, thinned paint and patience were key.

What did you use for reference images? Are there colour plans of all the movie X-wings easy to find?

Will definately have to try this. It's just cool.

Very nice! You should dirty them up a bit, though - even a light coat of black wash would really make 'em pop.

What brand & color did you use for the base grey?

Thanks for sharing!

I primarily used model photos from modelermagic.com for reference. They have a number of detailed X-Wing models with good photography. Just search "Red 5", "Red 2", or "Red 3". I referred most to the photos shot in front of a blue screen.

There is another site that has photos of the models from the films, but I can't find it right now. I'll post it if I am able to find it later.

Edited by stackeffect

Very nice! You should dirty them up a bit, though - even a light coat of black wash would really make 'em pop.

What brand & color did you use for the base grey?

Thanks for sharing!

I gave serious thought to dirtying the ships up, and I know it would make some of the smaller details pop, but after all the hard work, I kind of like the "just got it washed and waxed" look. I might add some damage down the road after I'm further removed from the initial paint process, but for now, I can't bring myself to add significant battle damage or a dirty wash.

The base gray I used on the X-Wings is Ulthuan Grey by Citadel.

I used Citadel's Mephiston Red for the Rebel red. When I first started, I was mixing it with darker gray, but I found the color right out of the container is actually quite good.

Wow! I'm impressed on the detail for the X-Wings

Well done man, I love it. The minor details can make a HUGE difference on these models.

Droids are over the top man, GREAT job.

For someone who has never painted miniatures before, excellent job! So clean. If you could get some weathering on them will really make them awesome!

One of the reasons I got into this game was because I was tired of all the unpainted miniatures I own that would never see the table top. These models make me want to break out my paints and brushes again. Very, VERY well done!

didn't realize wedge had that much Yellow. these are the best Xwings ive ever seen!

Those are really well done! Bravo!

I don't know what you used for masking tape but Tamiya makes some great tape. Designed for modelers it's thin, bends easily and cuts nice. You can also use Post-it notes for masking straight lines. Just go easy when applying the paint. Too thin and it will seep thru the paper.

So wizard! This might be an "older" thread, but there's nothing like the classic ships beautifully done.

I don't know what you used for masking tape but Tamiya makes some great tape. Designed for modelers it's thin, bends easily and cuts nice. You can also use Post-it notes for masking straight lines. Just go easy when applying the paint. Too thin and it will seep thru the paper.

Thank you.

I didn't actually use masking tape. When I began on Wedge I was planning to mask it, but I found that when I committed to doing it all freehand, I had a greater degree of control and better lines as a result.

Edited by stackeffect

As cool as some of the new ships are, THe T-65 Model is still one of my favorites.

Thank you.

I didn't actually use masking tape. When I began on Wedge I was planning to mask it, but I found that when I committed to doing it all freehand, I had a greater degree of control and better lines as a result.

Your hands are A LOT steadier than mine! Amazing free hand work.