Impressions and questions about problems I had in first couple of games

By Dr Tak, in Chaos in the Old World

First... I really love this games, but the rules and the FAQ leaves a lot to interpretation...

questions:

1- If while turning the dial at the end of the turn, one player gets "victory", while another get bonus VP and gets to 50... who wins?

2- If a card or a figure (like the graeat unclean one upgrade) puts corruption tokens on a region and put the total token to 12 during the summonning phase, is the region ruined at that moment, or can other player put cultists to be able to cash in the "ruination" of the zone in hte corruption phase?

3- With the graet unclean one upgrade... can you summon him time and time again in the same place in the same summoning phase to get more than once the 3 corruption tokens?

4- does teleport count as a summon? (in the event that there is a card preventing summons from a zone).

5- if an event card that used event token "is pushed out of play by other cards who doesn't use event tokens) does the token stay on the board (is the event related to this token still in play) or do we remove it?

thanks for your imputs.

right now I had a tie between khorne and slaanesh (hence question 1)

and a close win by tzeenth (dial win)

Dr Tak said:

First... I really love this games, but the rules and the FAQ leaves a lot to interpretation...

questions:

1- If while turning the dial at the end of the turn, one player gets "victory", while another get bonus VP and gets to 50... who wins?

Check the back of the rule book, it reads: First, check the Threat dials. If any player's dial shows "Victory!," that player windws. (Ties broken by victory points.)

So the person who hit victory on the dial has won.

Dr Tak said:

2- If a card or a figure (like the graeat unclean one upgrade) puts corruption tokens on a region and put the total token to 12 during the summonning phase, is the region ruined at that moment, or can other player put cultists to be able to cash in the "ruination" of the zone in hte corruption phase?

You don't check for ruination until after summoning is over, so the region is still in play. Other players can summon to that region, and corruption tokens can even be removed by at least one card. It can be a good tactic to summon to a region that is likely to be corrupted. Take a quick look at the chart on the bottom left of page 9. You do each phase in its entirety before moving onto the next one.

Dr Tak said:

3- With the graet unclean one upgrade... can you summon him time and time again in the same place in the same summoning phase to get more than once the 3 corruption tokens?

The only place I found that says you can't do this is in the Glossary on page 31. "Summon: To place a follower on a new region. A figure can be summoned from either a player's stockpile or a different region" Between the cheese factor and the definition of summon it isn't allowed. Now if you want to summon him to one region and then on your next summon spend power to summon him to a different region that would be allowed.

Dr Tak said:

4- does teleport count as a summon? (in the event that there is a card preventing summons from a zone).

Dr Tak said:

5- if an event card that used event token "is pushed out of play by other cards who doesn't use event tokens) does the token stay on the board (is the event related to this token still in play) or do we remove it?

Check out page 24 where they define event tokens. It says "If Event tokens remain in play after all cards that define their Event token effects have been removed from the Old World card track, those Event tokens remain, but have no effect on play until such time as a new Old World card redefines them. I don't see it really mattering right now. I just glanced through the old world cards and every card I saw dealing with event tokens said to remove event tokens on the board and remove any other old world cards with the twin tailed comet symbol. Unless I missed a card I can only see this rule in place for a future expansion.

Dr Tak said:

thanks for your imputs.

right now I had a tie between khorne and slaanesh (hence question 1)

and a close win by tzeenth (dial win)

Hope this helps. They only answer I don't like is the teleport one, but it seems pretty clear in the rules that teleport = summoning.

I agree with all the above answers.

As with most games, follow the clearly defined phases and the steps within each phase and most of your early issues will be resolved.

"Summon" = "move" = "place" as pointed out from the rules. So Teleport is "summoning" a unit - you just don't pay the typical summoning costs (as it is the the card moving the figure not the power points. And anything that would prevent summoning would prevent Teleporting, such as Field of Carnage (unless Teleport was being used on Khorne's figures).

And adding the two corruption tokens when the Great Unclean One is placed should only count when you move to a new region. So if you want to spend the points to summon him to Region A, get 2 corruption, and then to Region B, to get the two corruption there, and then back to Region A, that would work. However, I don't think you have enough power points in a single turn to make this work.

So far, all Twin-tailed Event cards remove all previous Event tokens. The rule doesn't make much sense unless they wanted to open it up for expansions or there were cards in the early editions that later got cut. So an event card might expire (from being pushed off the track) and the event tokens stick around. But I see no reason why they couldn't be removed at the same time the card leaves. I have found no game instance where it matters one way or the other.

wow... thanks alot guys...

We were 2 people who had read the rules... but sometimes missing a critical sentence makes a whole difference...

Many thanks to you both

Dr Tak said:

wow... thanks alot guys...

We were 2 people who had read the rules... but sometimes missing a critical sentence makes a whole difference...

Many thanks to you both

This game, perhaps more so than many others, relies on very strict interpretation of its very precise rules.

Which I like.

I agree with that. On saturday we had a three way tie between Nurgle, Tzeench and Khorne. I was playing Nurgle and managed to hit 65 VP. But Tzeentch and Khorne both hit their dial, with Tzeentch in the lead. Initially I had no idea what was supposed to happen, but I broke out the rule book, and there was my answer.