Clarification on Old World deck

By Jackwraith, in Chaos in the Old World

So, if the Old World deck, which is made up of 7 cards, runs out, the game is over and the players lose. So, in essence, since there's an Old World phase every turn, this means that no 4-player game will ever go more than 7 game turns? That seems a little... limited, doesn't it? Am I missing something?

You have it pegged. A 4-player game is limited to only 7 rounds (and a 3-player to 8 rounds). The game is meant to be fast and furious. If you stall too long, the game will win.

However, in the games I have played or shown, this hasn't been an issue yet. Even when we got close to running out of clock, the game ended one of the other 3 ways and a Player was declared the winner.

You will have such a good time playing this game, and there are plenty of actions each round, that you will barely realize tehre was a threat from teh game itself.

Jackwraith said:

So, if the Old World deck, which is made up of 7 cards, runs out, the game is over and the players lose. So, in essence, since there's an Old World phase every turn, this means that no 4-player game will ever go more than 7 game turns? That seems a little... limited, doesn't it? Am I missing something?

i think you're thinking that one turn belongs to one player only, which is false. because then it would only be 1.75 of a real turn.

each turn, all 4 players are playing.

No, I realized that. I guess I'm just underestimating the amount of action that can take place in each total game turn. Colts is probably right. Thanks for the replies.

Jackwraith said:

No, I realized that. I guess I'm just underestimating the amount of action that can take place in each total game turn. Colts is probably right. Thanks for the replies.

Between summoning figures and playing cheap or free cards, most players will have upwards of 4 or 5 actions per round. Once some upgrades take place (Nurgle's in particular), a player can get almost a dozen actions in one round (that might be stretching it). By the time you do the other stuff - resolve battle in nine regions, place corruption in nine regions, resolve Old World cards and all the other ancillary stuff, a single round takes up a good chunk of time. It is a full game experience.

Yeah, I've played it four times now, and the old world deck never ran out. The game usually ended at turn 5, or turn 6 in our 3 player game.

The real scare is if Franz's Decree gets played, which just burns a card from the deck, effectively losing you a turn. That happened in two games, and it still wasn't an issue.

I kinda want the Old World Deck to have a little more bite to it. I could totally see FF releasing a "Hard Mode" Expansion that could feature really nasty cards. Stuff like "Place no corruption this turn". Or cards that basically hand the game to a single God, such that all three must gang up on him to have any chance, like "Only Khorne may fight battles this turn" Or "Place two warp stone in every location" or "Place a noble in each region" Or "Place an event token in each non-populous region, each region with an even token gains populous" Really wacky **** like that.

Gorehammer said:

Yeah, I've played it four times now, and the old world deck never ran out. The game usually ended at turn 5, or turn 6 in our 3 player game.

The real scare is if Franz's Decree gets played, which just burns a card from the deck, effectively losing you a turn. That happened in two games, and it still wasn't an issue.

I kinda want the Old World Deck to have a little more bite to it. I could totally see FF releasing a "Hard Mode" Expansion that could feature really nasty cards. Stuff like "Place no corruption this turn". Or cards that basically hand the game to a single God, such that all three must gang up on him to have any chance, like "Only Khorne may fight battles this turn" Or "Place two warp stone in every location" or "Place a noble in each region" Or "Place an event token in each non-populous region, each region with an even token gains populous" Really wacky **** like that.