The Enduring Evil - Descent, Rebalanced

By Antistone, in Descent Home Brews

• The surge cost for Static's surge ability should be 1, not 2.
  • Storm Bead shouldn't give Arcing 1, it should give "S: Arcing 1", meaning you can get 1 rank of Arcing for each surge spent.
  • Overdrive should be a Wizardry skill, not a Subterfuge skill.

There may be other errors, those are just some I happened to notice.

The cards look nice, and I appreciate the effort, but I suspect they have copyright issues. Even if FFG doesn't care about the Descent art (which I'm not certain of), I think I recognized at least one image from another IP.

Antistone,

Corrections made. Those were unintended changes, obviously. It probably comes from doing the job alone. Thank you for pointing them out. I am eager to learn of any others you, or anyone else may find. And Thank You again for this wonderful mod.

-XmenDynasty

Thanks for "Private Collection" quest. Anymore quests after this creation?

None so far. Are you close to running out?

Still got 2 to 3 main quests to go. I am more into your new short quests. Like Honor Guard.

XmenDynasty, is there a chance to get the files for these cards?

Just to clarify (sorry to be ignorant), these 10 decks can be ordered through Artscow for 10.99 apiece, or just under $110, plus tax. Is that correct, or am I missing something? (I haven't ordered through Artscow before.) Thanks for this effort, both Antistone and XmenDynasty! I have long been interested in Enduring Evil and think very highly of it, but was a little concerned about the lack of the high quality cards. I know...that's eccentric. (It's also been a time issue.) Anyway, this nicely fills that void, apparently, though it appears to be a little pricey. Still, it could well be worth it. Thanks again.

Schmiegel said:

Just to clarify (sorry to be ignorant), these 10 decks can be ordered through Artscow for 10.99 apiece, or just under $110, plus tax. Is that correct, or am I missing something?

Yes, you are correct, that's a good point. Perhaps that can be chalked up to denial of some sort on a subconscious level as the price tag had already reached a somewhat disturbing level.. By implication, then, the rest of my assumption was correct. Oof. Still, it would provide many hours of entertainment. A luxury item to say the least, but a good option to have all the same.

the cards are great. really great. i'd like to get selected 50 or 100 printed, but all of them is just too much and i don't really need all of them anyways :-/

First of all, the link works fine for me. Try cutting and pasting it into your address bar.

Schmiegel,

On the Artscow home page there is a 'Special Sale' tab. Click that and scroll downward to find the 'Custom Photo Cards' sale. Using one of those codes gets you all the decks you want, for $9.99 each, with FREE shipping and NO tax! So yes, it's almost $100, but ya gotta love good quality cards!

letsdance,

I'm sorry, but Artscow wants rather large image files for the cards. I can't e-mail 'em to ya. It's just too much. Besides, there are only a handful of 'extra' cards, and Artscow makes you order full 54-card decks anyway. So, sorry, but no can do. And getting only 2 decks, which is still 108 cards, wouldn't even give you all the Skills and Feats you would want, so I don't know what you're eliminating.

Thanks for the compliments, guys, but Antistone deserves all the credit for this wonderful mod. My hat's off to him!

-XmenDynasty

XmenDynasty said:

First of all, the link works fine for me. Try cutting and pasting it into your address bar.

XmenDynasty said:

I'm sorry, but Artscow wants rather large image files for the cards. I can't e-mail 'em to ya. It's just too much. Besides, there are only a handful of 'extra' cards, and Artscow makes you order full 54-card decks anyway. So, sorry, but no can do. And getting only 2 decks, which is still 108 cards, wouldn't even give you all the Skills and Feats you would want, so I don't know what you're eliminating.

- what i want is mostly many treasures and town cards
- what would be nice is treachery cards and maybe some skills

i would mix them with my cards. i am pretty sure what i want isn't more than 108 cards.

XmenDynasty i sent you a pm on BGG.

Xmen Dynasty, thanks for the info! Anything that makes it even slightly more manageable is a good thing. And I do love good quality cards. I just may do it, maybe in increments, even. Enduring Evil is great stuff and I see now that new quests are being added over time.

Xmen Dynasty, thanks for creating the cards. I tried to order two decks, but the process was quite byzantine on the artscow web site, at least for me... I located what appeared to be the discount codes you were referencing, but when I plugged one in during checkout, it came back "invalid code". They wanted 10.99 per deck plus 16.99 shipping (for two decks).. I can't do that. So I sent them an email, and hopefully I'll get steered in the right direction.

I couldn't locate the Enduring Evil card gallery in their web site, so had to use your links provided earlier to get directly to the appropriate web page. So I ended up skipping around the site in various sequences which may have confused matters. Anyway, I don't mean to burden you with having to tell me how to navigate their site, and I presume I will hear from them with news of how I can get the deal you mentioned, since I'm sure it must actually exist if you say so. I'll wait a couple of days for them to respond, for now. If I don't hear back, I'll ask you for further assistance. I will keep you posted. Sorry for the confusion and thanks again for creating these cards as they'll be outstanding once I actually can procur them.. gran_risa.gif

Xmen Dynasty - I'm sorry, I don't mean to pester you.. But are you sure about the free shipping on these cards? (Have you ever gotten free shipping yourself?) I got the following response to my email query to Artscow.

Hello Bob,
Thank you for choosing ArtsCow.com. We don't know what ZY572X6 is. Maybe you can ask the person who gave it to you. Thank you!

Best regards,
Cecilia

As far as that code she is referencing, it's one I chose at random after navigating to the "Custom Photo Cards Sale" under the "Special Sale" tab. It was kind of confusing as far as how that works, so I'm not surprised that I came up empty, but the lack of any further direction on her part regarding free shipping leaves me wondering if it simply is not an option. The hours of operation for Artscow are given in Hong Kong time. Does that mean the cards are shipping from Hong Kong? It's hard to imagine free shipping from Hong Kong but maybe I'm being old-fashioned.

I won't continue to beat a dead horse here (or cow) but thought I'd ask you one last time for further instruction on this, if you don't mind. Thanks!

P.S. The shipping charge listed when I tried ordering was 16.99 on an order of 21.98 (2 decks), which practically doubles the price. That's why I'm asking.

you need coupons for "Multi-purpose Cards (Rectangle)" since that's the product that the cards are printed on.

right now i see on the main page http://www.artscow.com/ (big green box on the upper left) a freeshipping special sale if you order for at least $ 20.

letsdance - thank you for the info! I'll make another pass at it and see what happens. Much appreciated.

Thanks again guys. That seems to have worked. Duh... I ordered 3 decks so far. Have to do it piecemeal, unfortunately.... (Yes, I got the free shipping.)

gran_risa.gif

Was the issue of the two links linking to the same page resolved? I had the same experience with that. (They both linked to the same page for me too.) So there were a total of 10 links, but with two of them linking to the same page.....are there actually 9 decks available, or 10? Thank you! (I don't seem to be able to find the Enduring Evil gallery in Artscow without using the links provided by Xmen Dynasty, or I wouldn't keep badgering you...)

The problem was that the correct URL was appearing in text on the page, but the actual hyperlink for one of them was a duplicate (i.e. not the same as the text you clicked on). You can get around it by copying and pasting the text into your browser instead of clicking on the link.

Considering that this forum only allows editing for a short time after a post is made, I'd assume that the hyperlink will be wrong forever. There's a similar problem with a stale link to Enduring Evil in the first post of the thread (though thankfully my signature is updateable, and so points to the right place).

Antistone - Thank you! If that had already been explained (and I think it may have been), I apologize for asking again. Anyway I now have six of the ten decks on order. My final order will be for the last four decks, including the one with the bad link. I'm looking forward to using both the cards and the Enduring Evil system and quests a great deal. Awesome the way this collaboration (clearly Antistone's inspiration and creation, but definitely enhanced by these high quality cards) has evolved! Thanks so much.

Tonight (finishing tomorrow) we're playing The Good, The Bad and the Ogre out of the Quest Compendium. I have to give that a very high recommendation, for the record, it's extremely well done (and even error-free). The guest designer did a great job.

Sorry in replying in this forum but for the life of descent i could not figure out how to sent you a private message antistone.

After we finished our 10th campaign in descent we got bored so we delved into your hero generator and we currently have 48 FULL new characters and would like to thank you and the other guys for all the effort they put into this project. What i would like to ask is about a skill called wild strikes since it doesn't say if when you DON'T roll a blank in your power dice do your other power dice count? Or do they get nullified anyhow?

Please direct any further questions about my hero editor to this thread .

Wild Strikes says: "When you make an attack roll, black dice that roll blanks are worth +3 damage, +3 range, and 3 surges, but other black dice have no effect."

That applies to all attacks, not just to attacks where you roll at least one blank. If you have Wild Strikes, rolling surges or power enhancements on black dice does nothing at all for you. For example:

enhancement + surge = nothing
blank + surge = 3 damage, 3 range, 3 surges
blank + blank = 6 damage, 6 range, 6 surges

Your average result from a black die with Wild Strikes is only slightly higher than the normal average. It's actually a very weak ability, because you end up wasting a lot of the benefits on overkill, but it might be worth it with Blast runes.

You seem to be suggesting an alternate ability where the attack works normally if you roll no blanks, but as a Wild Strike attack if you have one or more blanks. That would be a LOT more powerful, not only because it almost doubles the average result of a black die, but because it raises your minimum damage a lot - any attack with 3 or more black dice would be guaranteed damage + surges of at least 3 from those dice, which would let you kill monsters much more reliably.