Warhammer Fantasy on roll20/google hangout

By Ghaundan, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Me and some friends are going to try playing warhammer fantasy online, and so far we've gotten the dice roller so far decided to use fillable charactersheets from gitzman. Does anyone have other tips to what we can use to make warhammer fantasy work on a digital platform as smoothly as possible? I have the physical components, if that helps. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas how to streamline the gaming process so we can focus as much on the game and little on the mechanics as possible?

Me and some friends are going to try playing warhammer fantasy online, and so far we've gotten the dice roller so far decided to use fillable charactersheets from gitzman. Does anyone have other tips to what we can use to make warhammer fantasy work on a digital platform as smoothly as possible? I have the physical components, if that helps. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas how to streamline the gaming process so we can focus as much on the game and little on the mechanics as possible?

If you have access to a color scanner you can scan a selection of cards and upload them into Roll20's card decks feature. It comes loaded with a deck of poker cards, but you can upload your own card front and back images if you wish. I scan the cards in sheets and split'em up in Photoshop...

Wounds

Mutations

Diseases

Insanity's

Miscasts

Only the Basic Actions and Talents that the players have for the current characters, you can worry about scanning the rest later.

Load everything sans the Actions and Talents into the decks feature. This will allow you to deal cards from each deck to individual character/players "hands" (located under each players icon/chat window at the bottom of the screen), where they can be referenced by themselves or the gm.

Use Roll20's adjustable level bars (attached to each character icon on the table top area) to track standard Wound level, stress and fatigue. Crits can be dealt to player hands.

As for Actions and Talents, if you don't trust your players to track their own cards recharge you can upload them as character icons/tokens and use the adjustable level bars to track recharge on the table top (warning: this can make for a crowded screen if you don't have a gianormous display)...otherwise you can just upload the scanned images as handouts for easy reference of rules.

Honestly I don't upload Actions and Talents to Roll20 as I trust my players to use their cards responsibly as we reward and enjoy storytelling and interesting/dramatic ideas over min-maxing...that being said, I toss Insanity's, Corruption, Diseases and Miscasts like it's nobodies beezwax, but it's all in good fun.

To make a WFRP3 game work on a digital platform as smoothly as possible and with the minimum of worrying about the mechanics as possible you may want to consider Fantasy Grounds. Admittedly there's an element of cost involved but after the inital outlay then you're good to go. I have an ultimate licence and have been GMing a WFRP3 game (exculsively on FG) for more than a year. Downloaod the demo and give it a whirl.

Really sorry for not getting back to this thread earlier, I read both your posts and then my days were packed. My birthday, national day etc etc and suddenly days had gone by!

First off: we've done one session and that went splendid. Mostly cause we're playing Enemy within and I've done part of that before and know most of it so I can make it run fluidly and add/remove things to get the right flow. Players also like the system.

Scanning? any tips on how to do that effectiely cause there are alot of cards. Work has a scanner so I suppose I could spend some time during a weekend to scan up some stuff, might also scan up some of the careers that aren't in the players handbook.

Roll20 works great (I use it all the time) but you have to do a lot of the legwork yourself up front to set up the campaign and its' decks.

If I'm understanding correctly, Fantasy Grounds has a full set you can download that already has all the cards ready to go. I've never used it myself though, and I know nothing about the legalities (or technical hurdles) involved in Fantasy Grounds. But if time is in short supply, you might want to look into it rather than do all the tons of scanning that Roll20 would require for a game with as many moving parts as WFRP3e.

Scanning? any tips on how to do that effectiely cause there are alot of cards.

Cherry pick which cards to use. Make some of the decisions for your players, and only scan a small subset of cards you want them to interact with. The full game (with all expansions) includes dozens of melee attack options, but no single character starts with more than a couple and you never need more than half a dozen in the entire character's life. Not point in scanning things you don't plan to use.

Ask your players what, in broad terms, they want their PCs to be good at. Then scan in 2 or 3 cards relevant to each of those things and make them pick from them. Don't waste time on cards that are too weak to see use, so good they unbalance the game, or that don't match up to the things the players have already discussed as being their character's focus areas.

As for other decks, less is more. Don't worry about mutations or diseases for at least the first few sessions, if one comes up you can just hold it in front of the webcam for a moment and then scan it in between sessions. You don't even need to scan in the full wound deck. You could organize a subset of 20 or 30 cards that would work fine (set to an infinite deck in Roll20) as a critical deck at least at first. I did something similar for a homebrewed game I'm running on Roll20 that uses some mechanics from WFRP and EoTE. I made my own critical and condition cards that fit my setting, but I only had about a dozen of them for the first session and it all turned out okay.

Edited by r_b_bergstrom