Nationals at Gencon and participation cards/prizes

By ID X T, in Star Wars: The Card Game

I am flying over to Gencon from New Zealand. I am predominantly an X-wing player, but my brother is into the LCG. Personally I don't like the game, but I would like to get the Gencon LCG promo for my brother if possible.

Does anyone know when they usually give out the promos during the tournament? Is there likely to be another way I could get the promo that doesn't involve me playing in the Nationals event, like a learn to play demo or something?

I won't be competitive and I'd rather not spend all day playing a game I dislike if I can avoid it. If I had to I would probably play it out (I'm stubborn like that), but realistically it's better for everyone if I could just get the promo and drop. Is this considered bad form? Should I just suck it up and play?

Last year at nationals and worlds they gave out a single copy of the promo card during round 1 and then a 2nd copy of the card during the last round.

Last year at nationals and worlds they gave out a single copy of the promo card during round 1 and then a 2nd copy of the card during the last round.

This is how it goes for most events as well. You can probably get one and drop after round one, but to get the second one it's almost a full day commitment.

Although, it is kind of bad form to register for an event and drop right away just to get the card if the event is full. Otherwise a spot is potentially being taken from someone who wanted to play the game and win.

If the event is having problems filling, I'd say it's all good. I don't know if the event was full or even near full last year. If the event is full of players, I'd say find a way to trade for the promo.

Although, it is kind of bad form to register for an event and drop right away just to get the card if the event is full. Otherwise a spot is potentially being taken from someone who wanted to play the game and win.

If the event is having problems filling, I'd say it's all good. I don't know if the event was full or even near full last year. If the event is full of players, I'd say find a way to trade for the promo.

Last year Star Wars didn't even come close to it's max size. With regional attendance down I expect the same at nationals.

Thanks everyone. Really helpful.

Does anyone know what the promo card is going to be?

Does anyone know what the promo card is going to be?

They haven't revealed those ahead of time in the past, though occasionally some other country's nationals will be earlier than US nationals to spoil it (for instance, last year there were pictures of the French Yoda before GenCon).

So if anyone wants to help me out, I am unable again this year to attend because of work. I am willing to trade or purchase prize support.

Man, will FFG ever let us know? I mean, Call of Cthulu, Game of Thrones, and even NetRunner have had news articles about what prizes will be played for at GenCon. I keep checking back each day, hoping that there will be a Star Wars article but nothing.

Man, will FFG ever let us know? I mean, Call of Cthulu, Game of Thrones, and even NetRunner have had news articles about what prizes will be played for at GenCon. I keep checking back each day, hoping that there will be a Star Wars article but nothing.

Prizes have not been announced for SWLCG, X-Wing, Imperial Assault, or Armada. I assume there will be prizes of some sort... hopefully...

A few days ago, status was something like "waiting for approval" (think from Disney, due to licensing). So, keep checking on a daily basis! Only 1 more week to Gencon ;)

Wow, I hadn't realized the trend here. There really is NOTHING out there for Star Wars yet. Weird. I wonder if they have to jump through various Disney hoops for the seasonal OP kits as well (that is, if Disney is the hangup here).

Either way, I am super excited (depsite the fact that they have released 2 Force packs and an FAQ/Restricted list after I thought my decks were complete, lol).

Well... There is a little out there for Star Wars because there's at least one country with a national tournament for X-wing already. So we know there are prizes that have been approved and manufactured at least. There has been varied speculation as to the source of the delay in posting the article, but LFL/Disney is a popular theory.

LFL I am sure already approved the prizes. But likely not the announcement articles. They approve every single thing for Star Wars and it's not a fast process.

While the complete list of prize support is not listed, it sounds as is FFG will be handing out "tickets" for the purchase of Imperial Entanglements for all the players. If you are not interested in purchasing it, I would be willing to buy it instead.

While the complete list of prize support is not listed, it sounds as is FFG will be handing out "tickets" for the purchase of Imperial Entanglements for all the players. If you are not interested in purchasing it, I would be willing to buy it instead.

You can have my ticket, if that is the case. I have a Team Covenant subscription so I have no need for it. Or I will happily trade you the ticket & the cost of the item for the new Tyranid Conquest box they are supposed to have for sale (since I won't be able to stand in line for that).