5/5/5 Capitol vs Algeroth

By Lord Balor, in Mutant Chronicles

Well here is my first experience with Mutant Chronicles

Available Sets:

• Core Box Set - First thing I picked up.
  • The Book of Law, Vulkan's Fist, Order of the Bear, Advanced Recon. First set of expansion warpacks I purchased.
  • Warmaster's Legions, Gommorian's Hammer, Karak's Curse, Golem of Ice. Second set of expansions I purchased to boost the Demon factions.

Based on this, myself and my opponent decided we'd play a game of dedicated sides, Capitol and Algeroth.

Game: Capitol vs Algeroth

Size: 5/5/5 Format
Victory Point Locations used? Yes.
Map: A01

Martian Combat Patrol 657- Capitol Force (Myself)

Gold

• Gold Order Token
  • Gold Order Token
  • Gold Order Token
  • Bait and Switch Command Card
  • Ranger Commander

Silver

• Silver Order Token
  • Silver Order Token
  • Radio Target Coordinates
  • Ranger Elite
  • Ranger Elite

Bronze

• Bronze Order Token
  • Bronze Order Token
  • Trick Shot Command Card
  • KA 67 Great Grey Scout
  • Free Marine Soldier

The Alarum Incursion - Algeroth Force (Opponent)

Gold

• Gold Order Token
  • Gold Order Token
  • Gold Order Token
  • Invoke Frenzy
  • Necromutant Defiler

Silver

• Silver Order Token
  • Silver Order Token
  • Silver Order Token
  • Gommorian Emasculator
  • Ezoghoul

Bronze

• Bronze Order Token
  • Bronze Order Token
  • Beastial Speed
  • Necromutant
  • Necromutant

Deployment

Capitol Deployment: Right Side of A01 (Bottom Right). Two Ranger Elites are placed at the very bottom left of the Deployment Zone as far out as possible with the Ranger Commander just above them to form a curved line of three (Commander, Elite and then another Elite who makes the curve). The Grey Scout and Free Marine ae placed at the very top right of the deployment zone, the Marine on the uppermost and the Grey Scout just below it, ready to take off as soon as the game starts.

Algeroth Deployment: Left Side of A01 (Top Left). The Ezoghoul is placed at the bottom left of the Algeroth deployment zone with the Gommorian Emasculator placed right next to it, making sure that Hindering Terrain is not a problem for movement. The two Necromutants are placed at the top right of the Deployment zone while the Necromutant defiler is placed just above the Ezoghoul and Emasculator to be able to provide support to whichever flank needs it the most.

Victory Point Locations :
Closest to Capitol: Radar Network
Second closest: Deep Cover
Closest to Algeroth: Sniper Roost
Second Closest: The Relic
Other: Command Bunker, Triage Centre, Munitions Bunker

Battle Report to follow along with all the Rules questions we came across while playing!

Colour Dice = B,G,R,Y
Dice Accuracy = number
Damage = *
Blank Facing = [] and or 0 damage

Round 1

Turn 1 – Capitol Initiative

Activation #1 : Bronze Order Token to Ranger Commander who has a Ranger Elite next to him. As such with the Buff of +2 speed, moves 6 spaces to the top space of the bottom right victory zone which in this game was the Deep Cover location, ensuring his safety for the time being.

Activation #2 : Silver Order Token to the Grey Scout transport next to free marine soldier at the top of the Capitol deployment zone. It moves 6 spaces in a straight line to end up behind the one-space lava area and using it’s ability for the second action of the Silver token, deploys the Free Marine Soldier in cover adjacent to the left of it’s (the scouts) double base.

Turn 1 – Algeroth Initiative

Activation #1 : Gold Order token to Gommorian Emasculator who moves down and around (avoiding hindering terrain) onto the two space Victory Point location right in front of the Algeroth deployment zone which in this case is the Sniper’s nest.

Question 1: Sniper’s Nest VS Deep cover - One gives the ability to ignore LOS rules in regards to shooting and the other also violates LOS rules by forcing people to be within a certain distance. Does Deep Cover negate the Sniper’s nest rule? In this case we allowed it to as they are both exceptions to the standard rule and their violations are imposed on top of the standard rules.

Using it’s second action provided by the Gold Token, the Emasculator fired at the Free Marine Soldier in cover rather than the Ranger(s) given we decided it couldn’t hit deep cover. The results were B6, R[], B4*, so the demon managed to hit but as the Free Marine was in cover the one point of damage was negated.

Using its third activation the Emasculator then set to Guard mode.

Activation #2 : Gold Order token to one of the two Necromutants at the top of the Algeroth deployment zone. It moves 4 spaces to end up wedged between the double and single space cover with a clear shot at the Capitol Forces. The Necromutant then fires at the grey scout, getting his range right but the Scout’s dodge rule extended it beyond the dice roll and turned an enthusiastic and fatal hit into a harmless miss. Having failed, the Necromutant then sets himself to Guard Mode.

Question 2: LOS, when tracing LOS, does it have to be following nice dots or lines or can you cut across as long as there is no enemy/friendly/wall preventing it? In the rulebook it’s very nice and convenient with examples of shots only going straight lines through centre dots or up straight lines/dots but can you fire through hexes cutting across them partially to reach enemies? Or does it have to trace dots and therefore restrict line of sight even if there is no friendly/enemy/wall and so I have to shuffle one space here and there to get straight line beads to the target?

Turn 2 – Capitol Initiative

Activation #1 : Gold Order Token to the Free Marine who had been transported in the previous turn. The Free marine doesn’t move so as to not trigger the multiple Guard Units. Using it’s Double Strike ability, the Free Marine fires twice at the Necromutant rolling G5, G5* and G4,G8*, causing two points of damage and killing the beast. With no other options, the Free Marine sets to Guard mode.

Question 3: Covering Terrain, shooting through it is fine/has no effect? Essentially does a unit have to be literally in it to receive the benefit of -1 damage or if I’m firing past it to hit an enemy, can he claim cover despite not being in it but the shot passing through a cover hex?

Question 4: If two units are on guard and I move in line of sight to them, do they both get a shot? Or does 1 shoot and then only if I try moving again that the second guard gets an opportunity to fire?

Activation #2 : Bronze Order Token to Ranger Elite who being next to another Ranger Elite makes use of the +2 movement buff to move 6 spaces and end up just above the Ranger Commander in Deep Cover (The Elite is just above the top space of the VP location and so not in Deep Cover but above it).

Turn 2: Algeroth Initiative

Activation #1 : Silver Order Token is played on the second Necromutant who moves up 4 spaces into the Double Cover in front of Base with the Free Marine Soldier 6 spaces away in a straight line. The Free Marine activates its Guard status and makes an attack rolling G5 G4, failing to do any damage. The Necromutant then uses its second action to return fire getting G5* G7 but the Free Marine, being in cover is saved from the point of damage.

Activation #2 : Silver Order Token on the Ezoghoul, playing Beastial speed and paying the bronze order token for Buyback. The beast then moves 7 spaces down from the bottom of the Algeroth Deployment zone and ends up behind wall and cover space, 2 spaces away from the bottom Victory Point location. The Second action is wasted.

Turn 3: Capitol Initiative

Activation #1 : Silver Order token to move the last ranger into cover 2 spaces away from its brethren the other Elite Ranger and the Ranger Commander. Being the last one in the deployment zone, it missed out on having the buff enjoyed by the first two and with no other units, the Capitol player concedes the Round over to the Algeroth player.

Turn 3: Algeroth Initiative

Activation #1 : Gold Order Token to the Necromutant Defiler to move down 4 spaces into the top of the 2 space cover just below the Algeroth Deployment zone. With nothing in range, the Defiler sets to guard and Round 2 begins.

Round 2 – All order tokens collected/returned.

Activation #1: Gold Order Token to the Grey Scout transport which moves 4 spaces forwards. This means it ends up half in the Relic VP location an half beyond it and only 1 space from the closest Necromutant. The Transport then Drops off the Free Marine into Cover which was adjacent to the middle of the Scout’s double base for its second action. Finally for the third action, the Grey scout attacks, choosing to have a Combined Attack of the Grey Scout and Marine. Paying a Bronze Order token to allow the Free Marine Soldier to attack, the dice results were:

Scout: Blue 3*
Free Marine: Green 8*, Green 5*

So a total of 3 damage -1 from the Necromutant being in cover results in another dead Necromutant. That took the game to just 3 Algeroth units against my 5. Not too bad and I was getting used to the speed and precision strikes of Capitol.

Question 5: Does a combined attacks count as a 2nd Unit activation in a turn?

Question 6: Does a combined attack count as the unit who is joining in as their activation for a round? If so then combined attacks restrict and seem only useful against units in cover or with armour.

In this case we weren’t sure and so played as if it did and so with two units activated/with order tokens spent passed the turn to the demon faction.

Activation #1 : Silver Order Token to Ezoghoul and my opponent played Beastial Speed paying a bronze order token for buyback. The Ezoghul Moves 6 out of the seven spaces to land next to the Capitol Ranger Commander in Deep Cover and the Capitol Ranger Elite. The Algeroth player then spends the second action as an attack action and goes to attack the Commander but unwilling to lose that unit, I played the Bait and Switch Command Card forcing the Ezoghoul to target the Ranger Elite instead. The Ezoghoul then rolls Y[], R[], R3*, causing only one point of damage to the Ranger Elite.

Activation #2 : Unhappy with the fact that the Ranger Elite was only wounded, the Algeroth player plays a Gold Order Token on the Gommorian Emasculator for its barrage special ability and targets the wounded Capitol unit. The Dice Result against the Wounded Ranger Elite was G5[], G5*, doing a point of damage and killing it. 3 on 4 now, far better odds for Algeroth.

Question 7: Does the Gommorian Emasculator’s Accuracy +4 bonus work on its Barrage ability?

Turn 2 – Capitol Initiative

Activation #1 : Gold Order Token on the Ranger Commander. The Ranger Commander and the surviving Ranger Elite are one space apart so the commander does not benefit from the movement buff. With the Ezoghoul right in front of it, the Commander moves back one space to put it adjacent in front of the elite, but more importantly force the Algeroth player to use another action to move the Ezoghoul before attacking. This would also give the Ranger Elite the firing buff when it would be activated. The Commander fires and gets B3* and R2*. I then played the Radio Target Coordinates command card along with the two Silver Order tokens for buyback but it failed to do any more damage, rolling only G7[] and G[]. With one more action left, the Commander Guards.

Activation #2 : Gold Order Token on the Ranger Elite which moves one to be above the Commander which also took it out of cover but allowed a nice clear shot. The Ranger Elite then fires scoring only one wound with R[], B[], G5[] and G8*. Altogether 3 wounds had been dealt to the Ezoghoul, but unfortunately not enough to kill it.

Turn 2 – Algeroth Initiative

Activation #1 : Gold Order Token on the only remaining un-activated Algeroth unit, the Necromutant Defiler. The Algeroth player then plays Beastial Speed along with the 1 Bronze token buyback and moves the Defiler 7 spaces to a single space cover 3 spots away from the Grey Scout Transport. It then spends a second action to fire getting G5*, G4[], Y1*. Due to it's dodge value, the Defiler is out of range and saved from the damage.

Question 8: Melee and Green Dice, does that mean that the large accuracy of Green dice can project the short range and heavy damage of the yellow dice?

Round 3 – All order tokens collected and returned.

Activation #1 : Bronze Order token on the Ranger Elite who gets +2 Green Dice for being next to the Commander. The Ranger Elite Fires at the Ezoghoul scoring 1 wound with G5* R4[] B6[] B4[] and then plays Radio Target Coordinates Command Card with buyback, failing to add further damage with G5[] and G4[].

Activation #2 : If the Ezoghoul had been killed, the Commander could have run with a Gold token and done much more against the other units, but for now a Bronze token was allocated to it and it fired at the Ezoghoul, rolling R[], B3* and dealing it the final point of damage. This meant the Algeroth player only had the Defiler and Emasculator left whist I still had Two Rangers, the Scout and Free Marine. 2 Units vs 4 was sounding pretty good for me and I thought I had the game in the pocket at this stage.

Activation #1: Gold Order Token to the Gommorian Emasculator fires on the Grey Scout from the Sniper Roost and destroys it with relative ease, freeing up space for the Necromutant Defiler to move in against the Marine and finish off that flank.

Activation #2: Gold order token to the Necromutant Defiler, moves 2 spaces forwards to be next to the Free Marine (well above/adjacent) and safe behind the a wall from Rangers. Two Silver order tokens are spent on the buyback for Invoke Frenzy and the defiler rolls G[], G7[], Y2*, Y1*, Y2*, 3 damage one of which is negated by cover. The Free Marine is destroyed and the Defiler spends his final action guarding. With no other un-used units on either side, a new round begins.

Round 4 – All order tokens collected and returned.

Activation #1 : Well from being in command to being left with just two rangers, Capitol units strike hard and fast but are *soft*. This round began with a Gold Order token on the Ranger commander who being next to the Elite moves 6 spaces to end up 2 spaces away from the Gommorian Emasculator. The Commander fires at point blank range and scores 2 damaging hits with R2* B4* while the two silver tokens spent on buying back Radio Target Coordinates was wasted with G4[] G5[], allowing the beast to survive. With the last action, the ranger commander settles down to Guard.

Activation #2 : Gold Order token on Ranger Elite who moves 4 spaces and ends up 4 away from the Gommorian Emasculator. He fires killing the beast with R3* B3* and like the Commander, guards. So now it was my Ranger Elite and Ranger Commander against the Necromutant Defiler.

Activation #1 : Gold Order token to Defiler, moves 2 spaces down to be in cover and in LOS to Rangers. However as it begins to move one space, the Ranger Elite on Guard fires and does 2 points of damage. While moving the second space, the Ranger Commander on Guard also fires and deals 1 point of damage, but since the movement took the Defiler to cover, it is negated.

Question 9: Cover Applies? If I move into cover and am shot by someone on guard, does the cover I moved into protect me or is damage done first and then I move?

Using the second action, the Defiler Fires and playing invoke Frenzy along with buyback, rolls G5* G5[] Y[] y1** y2* achieving 4 damage, easily killing the Ranger Commander before itself setting guard.

Round 5 – All Order Tokens collected and returned.

Activation #1 : Gold Order token to the Ranger Elite, fires at Defiler rolling R1*B6[] G8* G5* which is enough to kill it. The 3 points of damage is reduced to 2 because of cover and the Defiler having only 1 point left is killed with 1 to spare.

Question 10 : Do Wounds Cross Over? In this case 1 wound was left over from the kill, does the regenerated Necromutant start with 1 damage or is the extra damage just wasted?

Question 11: Just when does it regenerate, right away? After the Activation of the unit who killed it? After the turn? After the Round?

Activation #1: Gold Order Token on the Necromutant who fires right away. He can no longer make use of invoke frenzy as his regenerated form no longer has enough command points. The attack rolls g8* G5*, 2 points of damage and kills the Ranger Elite.

With no other Capitol units on the board, Algeroth Wins!

Overall I found that Capitol forces can be devestating, delivering a spear-head blow when and where it's needed but are a fragile bunch to work with and if left unsupported or if they lose momentum are very vulnerable. I also felt I took a few too many Order Tokens as I was expecting lots of buybacks and made sure to have enough for those occurances when in reality an extra body would have been more useful (but as I was restricted to the units I had, that meant only a Martian Banshee Sergeant from the starter set).

Quite a few Questions came up and we may have played wrong at a couple of places but it's all a learning experience and a fun one at that!

So,

Question 1: Sniper’s Nest VS Deep cover - One gives the ability to ignore LOS rules in regards to shooting and the other also violates LOS rules by forcing

people to be within a certain distance. Does Deep Cover negate the Sniper’s nest rule? In this case we allowed it to as they are both exceptions to the

standard rule and their violations are imposed on top of the standard rules.

Question 2: LOS, when tracing LOS, does it have to be following nice dots or lines or can you cut across as long as there is no enemy/friendly/wall

preventing it? In the rulebook it’s very nice and convenient with examples of shots only going straight lines through centre dots or up straight lines/dots

but can you fire through hexes cutting across them partially to reach enemies? Or does it have to trace dots and therefore restrict line of sight even if

there is no friendly/enemy/wall and so I have to shuffle one space here and there to get straight line beads to the target?

Question 3: Covering Terrain, shooting through it is fine/has no effect? Essentially does a unit have to be literally in it to receive the benefit of -1

damage or if I’m firing past it to hit an enemy, can he claim cover despite not being in it but the shot passing through a cover hex?

Question 4: If two units are on guard and I move in line of sight to them, do they both get a shot? Or does 1 shoot and then only if I try moving again that

the second guard gets an opportunity to fire?

Question 5: Does a combined attacks count as a 2nd Unit activation in a turn?

Question 6: Does a combined attack count as the unit who is joining in as their activation for a round? If so then combined attacks restrict and seem only

useful against units in cover or with armour.

Question 7: Does the Gommorian Emasculator’s Accuracy +4 bonus work on its Barrage ability?

Question 8: Melee and Green Dice, does that mean that the large accuracy of Green dice can project the short range and heavy damage of the yellow dice?

Question 9: Cover Applies? If I move into cover and am shot by someone on guard, does the cover I moved into protect me or is damage done first and then I

move?

Question 10 : Do Wounds Cross Over? In this case 1 wound was left over from the kill, does the regenerated Necromutant start with 1 damage or is the extra

damage just wasted?

Question 11: Just when does it regenerate, right away? After the Activation of the unit who killed it? After the turn? After the Round?

Q1: Yes, deep cover negates the snipers nest rule. Deep cover does NOT claim that you do not have a line of sight on a certain unit that is placed on it. It

only forces you to be max 2 spaces away when you want to ATTACK an unit that is placed on it, but you still can use other LOS-based special abilities on that

unit, so in this case deep cover's rule is above the snipers nest rule.

Q2: Yes, you can cut across as long as there is no enemy/friendly/wall preventing it.

Q3: Yes, shooting through a covering terrain has no effect. An unit has to stand ON a covering terrain to get the -1 damage bonus.

Q4: The player who controls the units with a guard token decides which ones to use against you. For example, he might decide not to use the guard attack at

all, or attack only with one of them, or both.

Q5: No.

Q6: Yes.

Q7: Yes, bonuses apply in ALL cases. If not, it should be specified on a certain unit reference card/command card, etc.

Q8: Well, yes. As long as you have enough range from the green dice, damage from yellow ones still counts.

Q9: Same situation as in question 4. Your opponent decides in which moment he wants to execute his guard attack. If he decides to attack "in the middle" of

your movement, when your not in cover, he can do so. If he decides to wait untill you move a little closer, but you move into cover, you certainly get the -1

damage bonus.

Q10: The extra damage is wasted.

Q11. He regenerates right after he gets killed. You can even use him in the same turn, as long as you have an activation left.

I hope it is gonna help you a little :)

cheers

Many thanks for that takeobass, it clears up a lot of things up so we can get back to gaming! I'm very tempted to pick up a second starter set next as the extra Command Cards and Dice will be very handy. The extra demon Minis from it I might convert up as Ilian troops but that’s for another time, so once again thanks for the responses, tis very much appreciated!