Background for Playing Area

By bacta, in Wings of War

Hey,

i'm looking for a Map for my Playing Area, like they use in Conventions. Something with Clouds or a Landscape (something like this http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/368180 ).

I know it doesn't make a difference in Play, but i thing that it looks nicer than a bare table. I thought about printing one myself, but i have no suitable templates for it. Has anybody a good Idee on what to use or even some ready to use Pics?

I think you ought to read all this :

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffgforums/posts/list/14736.page

If you cant find the pictures for the map pm me and I'll see if I can mail them to you ( they are huge! )

Together the pictures form a 4' by 3' aerial picture of the English country -side.. taken from approximately 300'...

I have printed these pictures on HP Iron -on transfer sheets and I am planning to iron them on a piece of cloth: this would give me a easy to pack ,small to carry battle map when i want to go playing with some friends.

I avealready printed the iron-on transfers but didn't find the time yet to iron it on a piece of cloth ... Something for this weekend i suppose. I'l let you know how it turns out happy.gif

Thx!!! Thats ecxactly what i ment. I totally forgot the old forum, much to read and lucky they are a bit faster than the new one.

Thangs again for the great background.

Those are amazing! Thanks for the information.

I have been trying to find good arial pics forever and never found the right ones.

I am curious though. When I bring them up in Paint Shop Pro they show as being 27.67" x 39.11" each. Is this what you get or did you reduce them down? Are you using all 16 images for your cloth map? That would be HUGE!

I Used all 16 pictures but printed them on A4 Transfer sheets...You get a surface that is comparable to a small kitchen-table. About 120 cm long and 80 cm wide.

I still did not iron them on but I 've put them on the diner table like a jigsaw- puzzle and that is about the dimensions they give.

I supose you could make things bigger but then it wouldn't be as comfortable to take with you to a gaming session.

Besides.. bigger isn't always better because on a big playing field it takes too long before you get close enough to each other to get shooting happy.gif

Glad I could help gui%C3%B1o.gif

There are two different ways I am thinking of going.

1.) Print only two of the cells 24" wide and get them laminated. This will cost about $60 each and give me a 35"x48" play area. Possible downside being that the ground will appear much closer (low altitude dog fights).

2.) Print all 16 cells 10.5"x15", tape them together and get them laminated. This should be a bit cheaper and I'll have a 42"x60" play area. Upside being we'll have the entire countryside to play on and it will give the impression of being higher up.

Has anyone tried to make their own game cloth from felt. Seal the felt with some sort of coating and than use cheap acrylic paint for roads, river, and fields?

I read a blogg over on Boardgamegeek stating that there was going to be a playing mat produced for this year. I beleave its is going to be the one that is the background for the WW1 movement cards.

Good Idea,

Transfer Sheets should make a nice board.

Bluedevil_be said:

I think you ought to read all this :

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffgforums/posts/list/14736.page

If you cant find the pictures for the map pm me and I'll see if I can mail them to you ( they are huge! )

Together the pictures form a 4' by 3' aerial picture of the English country -side.. taken from approximately 300'...

I have printed these pictures on HP Iron -on transfer sheets and I am planning to iron them on a piece of cloth: this would give me a easy to pack ,small to carry battle map when i want to go playing with some friends.

I avealready printed the iron-on transfers but didn't find the time yet to iron it on a piece of cloth ... Something for this weekend i suppose. I'l let you know how it turns out happy.gif

anyone have these photos still i get an error when i goto that page??

Zinak