The next FFG Star Wars Game

By BergerFett, in Star Wars: Armada Off-Topic

So we have 2 Card games, and 3 Miniatures games for Star Wars. X-Wing is a skirmish scale game of fighters and Armada is an army scale game of Fleets.

Imperial Assault is a skirmish scale game of ground combat.

So here are my hopes and dreams. I am gonna just lay it out there and hope they don't get crushed.

The only thing left for FFG to do to make me quit all other miniature games forever would be to release a 15mm (Flames of War) scale Army scale ground combat game. This was actually an april fools joke battlefront did years ago and my soul has been crushed ever since. thinking of something I know i will probably never have. 15mm troopers would let you field AT-ATs, snowspeeders, aircraft as air support. It would basically be a reskinned flames of war. Im not sure FFG wants to go full miniature game just yet but my god if i could have one wish that FFG would make come true it would be a 15mm ground combat Star Wars game.

That is all.

discuss.

With the new movies coming out (new trilogy and solo movies), there is so much potential. Sadly, FFG is hamstrung by the miniatures & card games only contract.

Other than releasing new content into the existing formats, I can't think of much they could do. Large scale ground combat maybe, but I wonder if that would maybe over saturate the market for SW miniatures games. They could maybe get away with a queen's gambit style ameritrash game if there were enough miniatures, but I doubt the lawyers would green light it.

Sadly, Hasbro has the boardgames locked down, so that means more rethemed risk, monopoly, life, stratego, clue, trivial pursuit, battleship, operation, trouble, jenga games. And those will be the halfway decent games. We'll get tons of roll and move trash, along with all sorts of gimmicky kids games that are completely devoid of any sort of interesting gameplay.

I'd rather it were 10mm than 15, but yeah. A large scale wargame would be awesome.

Actually, 6mm would have a lot of potential crossover with the x-wing miniatures doing strafing runs and the like.

The Battle of Hoth starter kit? Yes please!

For some odd reason I want to say if Armada is as successful as X-Wing was, that might be the next plain to move to. That or a universe-strategic game (Which would be awesome), but a mass combat ground battle would work nicely in a campaign setting far better than trying to make a mountain out of Imperial Assault's mole-hill.

In your listing of games, I think you're forgetting their line of RPGs.

I could see them doing a ground game at a different scale to imperial Assault. But there's already a lot vying for my wallet's meager contents at the moment.

Please don't make them deplete it any more!

They could make a Star Wars deckbuilder. I like deckbuilders.

Always thought at some point they would add ground troops to Xwing, so we would have planet of Hoth Style battles, they don't have any where near as big of a (real) ship catalogue to release as STAW does, so it makes sense to add all the suitable ground vehicles and sentry towers etc...

I also would much prefer 10mm, or even, the much beloved 8MM. Epic Star Wars anyone?

In your listing of games, I think you're forgetting their line of RPGs.

I could see them doing a ground game at a different scale to imperial Assault. But there's already a lot vying for my wallet's meager contents at the moment.

Please don't make them deplete it any more!

I'm with you. if they did a 6-10-15mm epic battles game id prolly sell all my gaming stuff except armada for it and just play those 2 games. i would die a happy man too

Always thought at some point they would add ground troops to Xwing, so we would have planet of Hoth Style battles,

There really is no way to integrate ground forces directly I to x-wing without making a kludgy, unbalanced mess of the rules. It would be far better for them to release a separate game in the same scale (6-7mm, so...epic scale) that uses the same design philosophy as x-wing and then let the fans work out the best way to combine the two.

That would, incidentally, be AWESOME!!!!

Really like this idea...

How about a mass combat rules set for the IA minis?

Do AT-AT's the size of CR-90's appeal to anyone besides me?

You know all these great ideas will be met with something like "Formula D: Pod Racers"

I throw my vote in for the 6/8/10mm ground stuff. Something to rival DZC or Planetfall.

You know all these great ideas will be met with something like "Formula D: Pod Racers"

A while ago, before armada had even been suggested, there was a thread on the x-wing boards talking about (among other things) how good the flight path system would work for a racing game. I think someone even worked up some rules and miniatures for a pod racing variant of x-wing.

Part of the problem with that is that the Rebels SUCK on the ground. Seriously, it's so unbalanced. Have you ever read of a battle where they actually won? Even Hoth was a complete rout, and just a delaying action to get the evac ships away. Anything above skirmish level and there's really no competition.

Part of the problem with that is that the Rebels SUCK on the ground. Seriously, it's so unbalanced. Have you ever read of a battle where they actually won? Even Hoth was a complete rout, and just a delaying action to get the evac ships away. Anything above skirmish level and there's really no competition.

Agreed. It would probably have to be related to the new movies and any future games they put out will most likely revolve around ep7+