Number of players in each group

By MeTa2, in Dark Heresy

When I been reading Dark Herresy Boards I have gotten the impression that there is many players in each group.

Since I started to play the ideal number of players has been 4-5. I play in a roleplaying club in Copenhagen called Avalon. There most groups consist of 4-5 players. The children group has around 10 players, because of lagging GMs. No hey do not play Dark Herresy :) . The group I am in is currently the only Dark Herresy group. But besides that all groups has betwin 3-8 players.

How od you find running with more than 5 players ? Is there enough time for each player ? I can imagine it being pritty chaotic with people speaking on top of each other.

So how many players are there in your groups ?

There is 5 in mine.

When I get it off the ground, there will only be two Acolytes in my game; a hiveworld guardsman, and a void born arbitrator (who would have been blessed with a rediculous amount of fate points, possibly not disappearing once spent thanks to him being Void Born, but he opted to go for a different divination so as not to make too much of a crazy can't-be-killed character).

After some very poor games with 8-9 players, I've since refused to run games with more than 5 players.

My current Dark hersy group has 4 players, playing a feral world guardsman, a void-born psyker, a void-born techpriest and a war world Arbitrator.

In my opinion 4-5 player groups are the best size, as it guarantees a good mix of classes without characters treading on each others specialities, it gives each player enough 'camera time' and also is less work for the GMs.

3 groups (age range from 15 to 54)

Group 1 "No Guts No Glory!" - 7 players - 5 regulars (2 floaters when able to subject to work family etc) - weekdays play time

Group 2 "No Guts No Glory!" - 4 players - 3 regulars (1 floater when able to subject to work family etc) - mostly weekend play time

Group 3 Club group every 2weeks - 3-8 players (with most being a floater subject to whats been organised and their pref on what they play)

Well, I'll play with a maximum of seven, because that's the most the basement can hold. I like five because it's half of ten. The minimum I go with is four. My gaming group has six players at the current moment.

Six regulars, four floaters, three GM's. The GM's are regulars.

My group started off with 6 players, but two ducked out after the first mission and one more came in. So I've currently got 5, which seems to be a good number.

6 players, 1 GM Good times but 6 can slow combat down.

Technically 5. Gameplay seems perfect with 3, plus me, the GM. though we've never played with 4.

5 regulars, 1 floater and myself as gamemaster.

So it works, cause most of us play together for more than 10 years now. We have a two/three weeks rhythm, because of work. Hmm, While playing Earthdawn and Shadowrun, which has been a while, we have been 7 regulars and one GM. Definitely too many for a good game, but the story could be continued, even if someone missed one evening.

I'd prefer five players maximum. specially combat scenes with too many players take too long.

I am running an online game on rpol.net with two groups- one of 6 and one of two players. Great fun, but I find with online games unless you know all the players and their posting rates a couple extra are usually needed to keep the action going.

We have four regular players and four very occasional "floaters".

I used to always think three players was the ideal for a group. Possibly because it's a comfortable fit around the dining room table (one per side) as well as allowing a good amount of time to focus on each character.

Then again I've also run Tunnels and trolls groups with about thirteen players. An experience I'd prefer to forget.