A Collection of Random BatteLore Rule Quesions!

By sheripops, in Battlelore

Hello folks - I'm new to BattleLore... I've played about a dozen times and I still have a load of rule questions!

1. If a ranged unit is adjacent to an enemy unit is it able to move away or must it attack that unit?
  2. Battling Back – According to the instructions a unit may battle back if it is bold at the time of attack and has not vacated the current hex… Does this mean you can battle back a mounted unit when they are bonus melee attacking you even if their initial attack caused you to retreat?
  3. Can the giant spider gain ground?
  4. Playing on Vassal someone introduced me to the idea of units being bold 1-2-3 and so on. Nothing mentioned in the standard instructions. Are these commonly used rules? For example – a supported unit on a rampart on a hex adjacent to a stronghold could be bold-3… Does this mean it can ignore 3 flags?! Are supported dwarf units always bold-2?!

Thanks in advance... Yours confusedly, Guy

Ok, so post the questions and we'll try to answer them.

What is the point of posting us that you have questions without tellling us the questions? Oh, mabye that is the point. demonio.gif

Right... Let's try again!

If a ranged unit is adjacent to an enemy unit is it able to move away or must it attack that unit?

Battling Back – According to the instructions a unit may battle back if it is bold at the time of attack and has not vacated the current hex… Does this mean you can battle back a mounted unit when they are bonus melee attacking you even if their initial attack caused you to retreat?

Can the giant spider gain ground?

Playing on Vassal someone introduced me to the idea of units being bold 1-2-3 and so on. Nothing mentioned in the standard instructions. Are these commonly used rules? For example – a supported unit on a rampart on a hex adjacent to a stronghold could be bold-3… Does this mean it can ignore 3 flags?! Are supported dwarf units always bold-2?!

Sorry about that... I blame it on my lack of experience with cut & paste!

Cheers, Guy

OK... So forum posts don't like cut and paste from Word!

I'll type them out by hand later.

:o (

I write mine out in word when there really long. On here no one cares if you misbell a word( happy.gif )

Looking foward to these questions...

Seems like, it's just a question about word? gui%C3%B1o.gif

And on the third day... There were some questions (hopefully but I guess I won't really know until I click 'Publish')

If a ranged unit is adjacent to an enemy unit is it able to move away or must it attack that unit?

Battling Back – According to the instructions a unit may battle back if it is bold at the time of attack and has not vacated the current hex… Does this mean you can battle back a mounted unit when they are bonus melee attacking you even if their initial attack caused you to retreat?

Playing on Vassal someone introduced me to the idea of units being bold 1-2-3 and so on. Nothing mentioned in the standard instructions. Are these commonly used rules? For example – a supported unit on a rampart on a hex adjacent to a stronghold could be bold-3… Does this mean it can ignore 3 flags?! Are supported dwarf units always bold-2?!

How do I underline text in MS Word?!

Fingers crossed...

Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooray!

Sorry for my English

1) You may move,

2) If your unit have been moved in a battle this unit may not battle back the initial attacking unit

3) If I remember correctly they use the standard rule for green unit and take the ground

4) In the new rules available on the site, this notion of bold2 .. is more precise you may ignore one flag by level of boldness.

Sorry for my English

1) You may move,

2) If your unit have been moved in a battle this unit may not battle back the initial attacking unit

3) If I remember correctly they use the standard rule for green unit and take the ground

4) In the new rules available on the site, this notion of bold2 .. is more precise you may ignore one flag by level of boldness.

sherig said:

And on the third day... There were some questions (hopefully but I guess I won't really know until I click 'Publish')

That depends. If you are the attacker, then yes you order the unit to move away and then range attack. Remember though, if you do move, MOST range attacks lose a die due to moving. But if you are the defender and bold abd battling back, then no, you CAN NOT move back and then attack.

sherig said:

No. If you moved during the initial mounted attack and even though you retreated to another bold position, the follow-up mounted attack is still PART of the initial attack and thus you won't be able to battle back. As most people have mentioned here, if the unit has moved for that attack, it doesn't get to battleback FOR that attack. It still gets to ignore flags though..just won't be able to battleback for that particular attack.

sherig said:

Yes

sherig said:

Yes there are various ways one can become bold. And thus a foot dwarf unit that is supported can be bold 2 or sometimes mentioned as bold2. (remember mounted dwarf units are NOT bold by nature). And thus for each level of boldness, the unit can ignore a flag if you so choose. The exception are creatures who MUST ignore the first flag.

To underline, select the underline key (u with a line underneath it) then type like this. Then select the underline key again to stop underline . You can also mouse select various words and hit the key to underline as well.

Cab

Thanks for your help folks... I'll try and post my questions first time round next time.

As for the revised BattleLore rules... I can't find a copy of these. Although I only bought my copy of BL a couple of months ago my rules don't mention bold1,2,3 and so on. Had a rummage around on this site but could 'ne find them jimmy! URL anyone... Anyone... Bueller... Bueller?!

There are no revised rules. The original is on FFG's support page for BL. However, a Bold 2 and Bold all is mentioned in the rule book on Page 27, first column, all the way at the bottom in Blue text. In addition, Clan Chiefs are given Bold 2 in the Scottish Wars expansion. That is all the information we have on it.

testing to see if I can copy and paste with cntrl+V

(edit) can't