Adventure on the Move >> A look at manoeuvres, ranges, and engagements in WFRP

By ynnen, in WFRP Archived Announcements

A new designer diary is up!

Over the course of their careers, the characters in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay may find themselves in all sorts of exciting adventures. In addition to using their skills, talents, and actions to accomplish their goals, characters will also rely on several special mechanics to move around and interact with the story and their environment. My latest designer diary looks at a few of the game mechanics that help PCs move around and interact with the environment.

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=799

While there are pros and cons to this type of approach to ranges and manoeuvres, my concern is that the tabletop could become quite crowded with all the PC/NPC Stand-ups, Tracking Tokens, Location Cards, Character Cards, Stance Tracks, Action Cards, Spell Cards, Talent Cards and all the different dice necessary to resolve actions.

At least we know based on the pdf that NPCs/Creatures will have their own Stand-up Cards. I am curious to know how many of the cards that come with the Core Set are for PCs (and possibly suitable for NPCs) and how many are Creature Cards. Also, how many of each type of creature will there be (e.g. how many Beastmen Cards, Zombie Cards, Gobling Cards, etc.) and will their be an expansion of these types of Stand-up Cards (with plastic bases), Location Cards, and Tracking Tokens in later supplements? Will FFG ever post pdfs online of cards that we could simply download and print out on some type of card stock to add more of these elements to our games?

Thanks the Gods that it's freeform combat and movement.

42!

This free form knid of combat, range idea is very similar to that used in the GRimm rpg and I really liked that; in fact that system is pretty good and under used/supported.

The idea of adding dice to someone elses dice pool also is in that game, which again works pretty well.

So far I am liking wha I am seeing.

I'm less sure of the location cards idea, but without seeing them in detail and seeing what variety they come in, I'm reserving judgement on that.

The free form kind is really a good idea - there will be no more question how far em I from the enemy and mesuring.

personally I do away with minatures entirely when roleplaying, unless performing a large combat. So I'm not that fussed on this side of things - it'll just end up with me describing to the players where they are in relation to others as always.

i love this system! im a GM (or DM) for my group and we play DnD 4E and keeping track of all the minis in annoying, this is gana be so much easier and this will help in the Roleplaying because we will spend less time measuring and crap and get into the game