Ranged Combat and Misc Questions

By everwinter23, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest - Rules Questions

Ok, how exactly does the ranged bit last? I imagine once I exhaust all my ranged units, and the enemy's are exhausted as well, it moves on to the close-combat bit. Once this happens, do my ranged units remain exhausted, and enter into combat like the rest of my units, and can attack like the rest?

I was also wondering, can I play an event card (think that's the right one) and attack with a unit in the same turn? Or does the act of playing a card consume my turn, moving on to the opponent, and allowing them to attack? I kind of hope so, because I have steered away from event cards due to this (I just don't see the value in many of them, if it means skipping a turn).

Another random question, but is there a max hand-size?

Ah, "Action" card text. If I use that, it exhausts the unit and skips my combat turn?

And last question for a while (I hope, still trying to learn everything). Unique cards. What are those? I've yet to notice a card that says "unique".

I've read, re-read, re-re-read the rule book, and tried the FAQ, but it's a lot to take in, and life has been hectic lately, so I'm sure I've just missed a couple things. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading.

Ok, how exactly does the ranged bit last? I imagine once I exhaust all my ranged units, and the enemy's are exhausted as well, it moves on to the close-combat bit. Once this happens, do my ranged units remain exhausted, and enter into combat like the rest of my units, and can attack like the rest?

Only the first combat round has a ranged skirmish. In all combat rounds after the first, units with the Ranged keyword act the same as any other unit. So, they ready at the beginning of each combat round and attack the same as any other unit.

I was also wondering, can I play an event card (think that's the right one) and attack with a unit in the same turn? Or does the act of playing a card consume my turn, moving on to the opponent, and allowing them to attack? I kind of hope so, because I have steered away from event cards due to this (I just don't see the value in many of them, if it means skipping a turn).

Check out the timing charts at the end of the RRG for full details on this:

In combat, the sequence is this:

1. All players have the option to use "Action" abilities.

2. Player with initiative attacks with a ready unit (if able).

3. All players have the option to use "Action" abilities.

4. Player without initiative attacks with a ready unit (if able).

5. All players have the option to use "Action" abilities.

6. Check for end of combat round (all units exhausted). If No, go back to #2. If Yes, proceed to #7.

7. Ready all units at the planet. Players may retreat units. Go back to #1.

Continue this loop until the "end battle" conditions are met.

With that in mind, you can see that playing an Action ability on any card (unit, event, support, etc.) in #1, 3 or 5 does not make you skip #2 or 4. #'s 2 and 4 are the players' "combat turns," and they are completely separate from using card abilities. So no, using a card ability does NOT change the order of attacks.

Another random question, but is there a max hand-size?

No. Nothing in the rules sets one, so there is no maximum number of cards you can have in your hand at any one time.

Ah, "Action" card text. If I use that, it exhausts the unit and skips my combat turn?

As described above, using an "Action" ability does not skip a combat turn. It also will not automatically exhaust the card. Many "Action" abilities say to exhaust the card - usually as part of the cost of the ability - so those would require the card to exhaust in order to use the ability, but if the ability itself does not exhaust the unit, there is nothing in the rules that forces it happen. Similarly (because this is usually the next question...), if a unit is exhausted, you CAN use its ability text - unless that text specifically requires it to be ready, or requires it to exhaust as part of paying the cost of the ability.

And last question for a while (I hope, still trying to learn everything). Unique cards. What are those? I've yet to notice a card that says "unique".

Unique cards will not say the word "unique." Rather, they will have a skull symbol next to their title. For example, every warlord is unique. Each faction has a support unit that reduces the cost of the next unit you play by 1 that is unique. Each faction also has a unique unit in the Core Set. Just look for the skull symbol at the beginning of the card's name/title. Check out the entry on unique cards in the RRG for an explanation of the limits on playing unique cards.

Hope all that helps.