What Force power to use ??

By JP_JP, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

Question #1 :

In the old WEG Star Wars, there was a jedi Force power named Farseeing which allowed the Jedi to see into the future, but also at great distances or out of line of sight. Exemple : my character is standing outside a room, he uses Farseeing to see into the room ; I could know if they were trying to ambush us or if they were just chilling, I could also spot the officer, etc.

I'm wondering if you can do the same thing in FFGSW ? Would it be Foresee or Seek or neither ?
What do you guys think ?

Question #2 :
Another power from WEG Star Wars was Postcognition which allowed the user to touch an object and know what happened to it recently. Exemple : my character is standing outside a locked door with a keypad numeric lock ; using Postcognition, I could go back into the past and retrieve the passcode from the last one who used the door.

Same question... could you do the same in FFGSW ? Would it be Foresee or Seek or neither ?
What do you guys think ?

Thanks for the input.

Question #2: Postcognition isn't an actual power in the FFGSW.

Question #1: I think Sense would be your best bet. The basic setting allows you to sense the emotions of an engaged target or sense all living things within short range. Foresee helps you see upcoming events but those do not necessarily have to be true..

Edited by Oden Gebhac

#1: agree, Sense is the most likely candidate. The base power allows sensing of all living beings within range, and Range is an upgrade option.

#2: the only character in the SW universe that I'm aware of with this power is Quilan Vos. They used it in TCW, so his ability is canon, but why he has it was never addressed. In the EU he has it because it's a particular ability of his genetic line or clan (I can't remember exactly), so you could have a PC that is human, but foregoes the additional free skill ranks at chargen in order to have this latent talent. To activate it, I'd use Sense or Seek, with a Discipline or Perception difficulty based on time since the event and possibly the type of material that was touched.

#1: agree, Sense is the most likely candidate. The base power allows sensing of all living beings within range, and Range is an upgrade option.

#2: the only character in the SW universe that I'm aware of with this power is Quilan Vos. They used it in TCW, so his ability is canon, but why he has it was never addressed. In the EU he has it because it's a particular ability of his genetic line or clan (I can't remember exactly), so you could have a PC that is human, but foregoes the additional free skill ranks at chargen in order to have this latent talent. To activate it, I'd use Sense or Seek, with a Discipline or Perception difficulty based on time since the event and possibly the type of material that was touched.

Psychometry was native to Kiffar, the natives of Kiffu and Kiffex, and usually only provided impressions and glances. Most people that had it were not Force sensitive but those that were could divine that and more.

But I agree with whafrog, forgo the free ranks to have the talent and use Sense or Seek. Also consider the emotional state of the person holding the object: a rifle fired, by an assassin being paid money, at a target could have less emotion tied to it than say a blaster fired by someone during his first real firefight.

The problem with Sense is that you can't "see" if the living beings are friendlies or enemies, if they are armed or not, if they are chilling or going for an ambush... I guess Seek if you know someone or something inside the room, Foresee if you're gonna enter soon...

I'm not that fond of house ruling a new talent... so I guess no Postcognition for me :P Well I could also try to use Foresee for the next person to use the keypad... that might work.

New Question :

According to the latest Beta Update for F&D, you can activate multiples times powers like Enhance to boost your attributes. I know that if you want to use the Defense Control Upgrade for Sense and the Offense Control Upgrade for Sense, you have to take 2 actions.... but what about the same Control Upgrade ?? So let's say I want to boost Brawn twice using Enhance.... is it only 1 action or is it 2 actions ???

Thanks again.

New Question :

According to the latest Beta Update for F&D, you can activate multiples times powers like Enhance to boost your attributes. I know that if you want to use the Defense Control Upgrade for Sense and the Offense Control Upgrade for Sense, you have to take 2 actions.... but what about the same Control Upgrade ?? So let's say I want to boost Brawn twice using Enhance.... is it only 1 action or is it 2 actions ???

Thanks again.

You can't. Like I can understand where you think you might be able to because they didn't tack on the "Only use once" thing onto each of them, but you start hitting game-breaking stuff early on by allowing it. Besides, it hasn't been allowed for a while - pg. 196 of FaD Beta, last sentence of "Committing Force Dice":

(the character cannot be benefiting from two “copies” of the same ongoing effect).

Edited by Lathrop

Thanks Lathrop... my mistake :(