another first impression story

By Darthtator, in Zombie Apocalypse

So after reading some reviews about this game I decided to give it a try. My group so far is doing well. Using the pandemic scenario, my PC's decided (once they were sure it was zombies) that they were going to leave the city. As they went along the side of the freeway in an all terrain jeep they saw people left and right getting taken out by the undead. When they saw that their way was bared by a traffic accident they mademail their way to a school where they have holed up to rest and plan their next move.

So as far as the system goes its a great setup enough information and rules to let the game run smoothly but not so much that it bogs the group down. I also like the fact that the players play themselves, it greatly reduces the meta gaming without my intervention.

Sounds great, glad your group likes it. Hope to see some updates on their progress!

To me, the prospect of playing yourself is neat... at first. The game wouldn't have went down with myself anywhere near as nicely if they hadn't included rules for playing fictional characters.

Of course, my main problem with playing yourself is that my medium of gaming is online - with people you don't know. Sure, you could just detail yourself for their benefit and to help them decide on whether to raise or lower your attributes as you've picked them, but you could quite easily just be embellishing what you say to fit a more apocalypse-friendly environment. That being the case, you're largely playing fictional characters anyways...

Not to say that everyone is like that of course, but the alternative method of character creation is essential for those who aren't close friends.

The point of playing yourself as your PC, and even to have it reviewed by your table mates, is not to prevent "cheating". Making a fictional PC is more likely to yield cheese than saying "make yourself", I would imagine. You're guaranteed to have a tailored character then. Regardless, the game has a creation mechanic that balances your PC, that combined with the ZMs ability to just say "I'm not gonna let you start with 5 Dex/Log/Cha, I don't believe you are a professional athlete/rocket scientist/pop star. So send me another go at it.", is what prevents cheating.

The point of playing yourself IMO, is for immersion.

Oh I agree. I just think that the votes appear to be based on familiarity with the player in question. The mechanic of modifying Features based on increases/decreases to attributes helps to keep things fair, balance-wise.