Arborec building after invading?

By Wick, in Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition

Can Arborec GFs build after invading a planet or loading onto a ship?

For example, I have a ship in a two planet system with a cruiser and a GF on one planet. Since we are playing Distant Suns I fly in another GF on another cruiser and load up my GF from my planet in system in order to invade the second planet with 2GFs. After invading can I build from the in system GF?

No, you are still moving the GF in question, even if it stays in the same system, and so can't use that GF to build that activation.

Makes sense thanks.

Another question about Arborec: GFs can build while on ship filling the capacity of the ship. Can you choose to place them on a friendly planet as part of the build ? For example built GFs in excess of the ship's capacity or just as a choice?

Hmmm. I don't know.

To be honest, I would have thought that GFs on a carrier wouldn't be able to produce at all but, now that you mention it, there doesn't seem to be anything preventing it.

GFs on a planet can produce ships in orbit, so I don't see a good reason to think it couldn't work the other way around.

The FAQ supports GFs able to build onboard ship. I just don't know about how you adjudicate the details. If your carrier has 6 GF and builds another carrier and more GF, can the extra GF be placed on the new carrier, on a planet, or are the extra GF wasted since the ship is at capacity?

The FAQ supports GFs able to build onboard ship. I just don't know about how you adjudicate the details. If your carrier has 6 GF and builds another carrier and more GF, can the extra GF be placed on the new carrier, on a planet, or are the extra GF wasted since the ship is at capacity?

Well, the standard rules for producing GF require that they be placed on the planet the Space Dock is attached to. They can't be loaded onto a CVin orbit or transerred to another planet in system.

Based on that, I would say that GFs built while on the CV must be placed on the same CV. Any excess beyond the CV's carrying capacity are simply wasted resources.

Edited by Steve-O

The FAQ looks pretty clear to me - it says when you are building from a GF that's on a ship you can place the new units on ships with capacity or a planet controlled by that player in the system. I don't see anything to indicate you have to put them on the same ship in that instance.

OK, just actually dug out the faq and looked up the relevant question and yeah, there really isn't any doubt that they can build GF on other carriers or on any planets below them.

Another dumb question: are shocking troops treated like regular GFs for the Arborec's production ability? My guess is yes but I could wrong.

Yes, anything that affects a Ground Force can also affect a Shock Troop. So Arborec Shock Troops can produce things just like regular ones.

Shock Troops are basically just elite ground forces.

So another question, if you already have GF on a carrier, then you move the carrier, does that count as GF moving and therefor can't produce that turn? Or could you move the carrier, then build at the GF? I am thinking no, but wanted to be sure.

No, moving the GF with the carrier counts as moving the GF. The purpose of the rule is to prevent you from building after they move somewhere, regardless of whether they start on the ground or on a ship.

What about throut technology transit diodes, integrated economy, their racial technology? What about through action cards or political cards?

Transit Diodes - No, because the action is not a Tactical or Transfer action anyway; the action is specifically to move units. You can't build in the same action after using this, regardless of which race you are.

Integrated Economy - You aren't moving units with this, you are placing new units on the planet. You can't use newly-built GFs to build at the same time anyway. Plus, if you are using Integrated Economy, the new GFs aren't even in the system you activated to build anyway. So "no" all around with this one :)

Racial Technology - I assume you are referring to Bioplasmosis? That wouldn't stop you from building, because Bioplasmosis happens during the strategy phase, and the prohibition from building only says you can't build with GF's that moved during that activation. Strategy Phase isn't part of any activation.

Action Cards - The Transport action card lets you move GFs, but like Transit Diodes above, that's your action, just moving them. It's not a Tactical or Transfer action so you can't build after moving, regardless of what race you are. I'd have to look at the list, but I don't think there are any Action Cards that would allow you to move and build at the same action, but even if there was, Arborec's ability says GF's that move can't build.

Political Cards - Is there a particular one you have in mind? I'm not aware of any that would let you move and build as part of the card anyway; but if there was, the Arborec ability still says you cannot :)

Edited by sigmazero13

Well, I Don't any off hand but IIRC there are some PCs that may allow you to "place" GFs on the map. If placing units is considered building units or moving units than those GFs cannot build when activated later that round. I think the key is if it is called a move or build,therefore placed units should be able to build.

Some examples:

"Defensive Mobilizations" and "Supported Expansion" have the word place.

"Holder of Mecatol Rex" adds" GFs

Just looked through a short stack of PCs.

Well, I Don't any off hand but IIRC there are some PCs that may allow you to "place" GFs on the map. If placing units is considered building units or moving units than those GFs cannot build when activated later that round.

The race ability says "You may not build units with Ground Forces that have moved during the same activation ." So the only thing that matters is they can't move and build in the same action. They can move in one action, and then build in a later action, even during the same game round, as that would be a different activation.

So none of those cards you mention are impacted by the ability, since even though you are placing or adding GFs, you wouldn't be building in the same activation that you are placing/adding them anyway. You could build at those GFs later in the round, though.

And another situation)

Distant Sun token "Settlers".

What happens if arborec GF landing on a planet discover arborec Settlers. Yes it return of a ship, and you places 2 GF from you supply.

And may you produces units with this GF?

Actually they didn't move in this activation)