Iron Hands bioncs

By Tyrrell, in Deathwatch Rules Questions

A simple search of the forums for "Iron Hands bioncs" did not turn up an answer to thhis question.

The iron hands solo mode requires multile bionic replacements. If there is an Iron hands character who is not a techmarine, how do they go about getting these bionics? Elete advances?, signature wargear? hope that they get their limbs blow off in combat and replaced? house rules?

There is a mention in the core book that both iron hands and tech marines get optional bionic repacement but then goes in to specifics about techmarines. That's understandable, Iron hands weren't covered in the core book. Is there some simiarily hidden place where it tells us to use the same rules for Iron Hands?

While I'm on the subject, the three flesh is weak talents on the Iron hands' chapter advance table require mechanicus implants. This means that, baring some wacky coincidence they're only applicable to techmaines. Is this correct?

Bionics are permanent wargears. You pay req. in order to have them, and once you have them it's until they are destroyed. It can be weird to purchase bionics to replace an arm (that you haven't lost, obviously), but it's definitely something Iron Hands would do.
It happened in my game, when we were playing The Emperor Protects final chapter. One of my player, an Iron Hand techmarine, decided to use all of its req. to fully "reconstruct" his body with bionics, arguing that his character felt honored to be selected for the final mission. He went "To smite those who corrupt the mechanicum, I must became one with the mechanicum".

And for the "Flesh is Weak" thing, look First Founding page 13, Iron Hands chapter trappings :

"Iron Hands Space Marines count as possessing Mechanicus Implants for the purposes of satisfying the prerequisites of a Talent (but not for wargear or any other purpose)." ;)

Edited by Enmi

Bionics are permanent wargears. You pay req. in order to have them, and once you have them it's until they are destroyed. It can be weird to purchase bionics to replace an arm (that you haven't lost, obviously), but it's definitely something Iron Hands would do.

It happened in my game, when we were playing The Emperor Protects final chapter. One of my player, an Iron Hand techmarine, decided to use all of its req. to fully "reconstruct" his body with bionics, arguing that his character felt honored to be selected for the final mission. He went "To smite those who corrupt the mechanicum, I must became one with the mechanicum".

And for the "Flesh is Weak" thing, look First Founding page 13, Iron Hands chapter trappings :

"Iron Hands Space Marines count as possessing Mechanicus Implants for the purposes of satisfying the prerequisites of a Talent (but not for wargear or any other purpose)." ;)

Thanks for the guidance on the flesh is weak. As for the bionics question, the answer you give I find distasteful (albeit it may well be what the author intended). In my opinion one shouldn't use mission requisition to purchase permanent upgrades. Back when the game had a line manager I believe that they said a similar thing.

However, with the availability of flesh is weak for all characters marines can get up to 4 cybernetics without special work (their original hand, and three flesh is weak). Using the price of victory deed from rites of battle, some signature wargear talents, and using bionic replacement of wounds actually suffered over a game I think that meeting the cybernetics requirement of the solo mode ability is pretty doable without any real modification of the rules..

Edited by Tyrrell

Thanks for the guidance on the flesh is weak. As for the bionics question, the answer you give I find distasteful (albeit it may well be what the author intended). In my opinion one shouldn't use mission requisition to purchase permanent upgrades. Back when the game had a line manager I believe that they said a similar thing.

However, with the availability of flesh is weak for all characters marines can get up to 4 cybernetics without special work (their original hand, and three flesh is weak). Using the price of victory deed from rites of battle, some signature wargear talents, and using bionic replacement of wounds actually suffered over a game I think that meeting the cybernetics requirement of the solo mode ability is pretty doable without any real modification of the rules..

At first, I find it weird to be able to use req. to buy permanent upgrade. Plus the fact that for me space marine's flesh is considered "holy", I don't see one coming to the apothecarion and say "ok i'm going on a mission, replace my arm for a bionic pls". But you know, the player put it in his "role-play" to augment his body in that way, and this mission was a good "excuse" to do so. Plus the fact that it's a popular thing in the Iron Hand chapter, I went "Oh yeah, why not".

And for the Flesh is Weak, if you consider a "normal" advance, yes it's rather easy to max the ability when other chapter have their abilities maxed aswell.

It has been ruled, by FFG, multiple times.

You can not voluntarily chop off your limbs and replace it with bionics simply because you have requisition.

"The rules for bionic replacements are not intended to be purchased with requisition unless extenuating circumstances arise that make the replacements necessary ."

Tim - FFG rules person.

You are allowed to use requisition to purchase a replacement bionic, but you aren't allowed to use requisition to create the need for a replacement.

Iron Hands have access to a bionic hand at character creation (pretty much a requirement, as it is part of their initiation rights).

Other things:
The Flesh is Weak 1, The Flesh is Weak 2, and The Flesh is Weak 3 are all unique talents. Which means, among other things, they each can not be taken multiple times. I.e. you cannot take The Flesh is Weak 1 in both the Iron Hands chapter table AND the Techmarine table. But you can take The Flesh is Weak 1 in the Iron Hands table and then The Flesh is Weak 2 from the Techmarine table.

It has been ruled, by FFG, multiple times.

You can not voluntarily chop off your limbs and replace it with bionics simply because you have requisition.

"The rules for bionic replacements are not intended to be purchased with requisition unless extenuating circumstances arise that make the replacements necessary ."

Tim - FFG rules person.

You are allowed to use requisition to purchase a replacement bionic, but you aren't allowed to use requisition to create the need for a replacement.

Oopsy ! My bad, I'll be warned for the next time. Thank you for pointing that out !