Combat

By la1cajun, in DungeonQuest Revised Edition

I just ordered my game revised edition. I was reading the rules for combat and it seems redundant. Every monster you face your still dealing with the same combat cards, no matter what i select it will do the same thing every time. Why dont I just pick the card that does the most damage everytime and the monster pick his/her card that does most damage. Just seems stupid. Am I reading wrong?

The Cajun

We don't play with the combat cards. It is redundant, fussy and breaks the flow of gameplay.

We play with the solo rules for inflicting wounds. It's in the Reference book. So simple, and doesn't affect other aspects of the game.

Combat is not really important in Duungeonquest.Monhsters are just another type of obstacle for the heroes.

Thats what i mean. The same exact cards every time no matter what the monster is. I dont get it honestly. Im an old RPG guy and monster battles should be there but mean something. I think I will do the dice rolls myself.

ah crap, i see now. I just saw all the combat cards, just because you play the card with your highest attack doesnt mean you will have a hit. The monster may play a card that don't have any wounds suffered from that particular attack. So it can be different every time. Are there monsters in other decks that you come across besides the monster deck. Says monster deck only has 20 in there.

The Cajun

There are Ambush encounters in the main(Dungeon deck) that have you drawing cards from the Monster deck.There are other creatures and monster encounters as well outside of the Monster deck ; these have special text.

On the forum for the 2nd edition there was a combat variant using combat dice from the newest version of descent 2nd edition. It was great and really sped up gameplay. Does anyone have this variant. Please help, for my duck has no legs : (

On the forum for the 2nd edition there was a combat variant using combat dice from the newest version of descent 2nd edition. It was great and really sped up gameplay. Does anyone have this variant. Please help, for my duck has no legs : (

I have the PDF, but don't think there's a way to attach documents to posts on the FFG boards or PMs. Suggestions?

I am interested too :-)

I have the PDF, but don't think there's a way to attach documents to posts on the FFG boards or PMs. Suggestions?

Load it up on BGG. There you can even get GeekGold for it :)

My gaming group uses a variation of the solo play rules.

The player to the left draws a monster and announces what it is.

Both players roll 1d6.

Damage is as follows:

If the rolls are the same, both receive 1 damage.

If the difference between the two rolls is = 1, the player with the lower roll takes 1 damage

if the difference between the two rolls is >= 2, the player with the lower roll takes 2 damage

We contemplated using the D2E dice but couldn't decide on how to use them properly.

Post deleted. Move along… move along...

Edited by TwiceBornh

I like the system where you throw 2 dice and the enemy too, and you receive or do none, 1 or 2 damage depending on the roll results.

I've had quite a bit of success with a 4th variant that I made up. It's similar to the published variants in some ways and unique to this variant in other key areas.

The player does a standard 2D6 check against strength or agility. Whichever is most favorable for the respective character.

- If the player wins the check, they deal 1 damage.

- If they lose the check, they receive 1 damage.

- Doubles do 2 damage, similar to the above rules.

- Snake eyes is actually a good thing! It's a critical hit and deals 3 damage to the monster. This way a particularly lucky and heroic swing can smash a skeleton in one blow! 'Tis the stuff of legends!

- There is no 3 point strike for the monster to the player

In this variant, you can use determination tokens to assist in a combat check. This actually evens the playing field for weaker heroes (in strength and agility) like Lindel and Brother Gherrin because their special abilities help generate determination tokens. It also makes the player decide whether they save them for combat checks or other more critical card checks. Sometimes combat isn't the most sinister bane in the dungeon! ...like trying to escape a hall of webs with only 3 days left and 3 tiles to go! We also play where you draw a treasure card after defeating a monster.

My group really likes this version because it plays to each character's strengths and makes combat unique for each player instead of the same odds for each. Yes, The odds in general are stacked a bit more in the hero's favor. But thematically, I feel that it fits more to a typical hero. The heroes should be stronger than the monster. Especially if it's always one on one (as opposed to party combat). But still difficult and threatening when they are low on health. It also makes combat something to look forward to instead of dreading. Lastly... this game is hard enough! The heroes should have some heroic ability.

Give it a try and drop me a line to tell me what you think.

Edited by me1034