Release Date?

By JordD04, in Forbidden Stars

Hello,

I've only recently got into boardgames (I was introduced via Battle Star Galactica a month or so ago) and I'm now looking to get a board game from FF for my birthday at the end of May, Forbidden Stars seemed particularly compelling but I can't find a release date only that it's at the printer and it'll be released in the "2nd Third of 2015".

Anyone have any more info on when the game will be available for purchase or any predictions based on previous board games? Thankyou

Just a side note, anyone know how accessible it is in the UK? Will there be extortionate shipping fees?

Well, the game has the brand Games Workshop on it, and GW is England-based, so... in any case, you can get it from Bookdepository.com, that ships from England, easily (and with no shipping fees).

As for the release date: unless something goes wrong, I think it'd be out before GenCon (but probably not end of May)

And welcome :)

Well, the game has the brand Games Workshop on it, and GW is England-based, so... in any case, you can get it from Bookdepository.com, that ships from England, easily (and with no shipping fees).

As for the release date: unless something goes wrong, I think it'd be out before GenCon (but probably not end of May)

And welcome :)

That's a little disappointing but thankyou for your help. I'm aware that GamesWorkshop are British but FF are American I believe so I figured they'd be the ones distributing, plus all pricing is done in USD.

Are there any "Board & Card Games" that you'd recommend instead? I'm looking for support for at least 4 players.

FFG is indeed American, but is also part of the Asmodee group, hence the distribution in Europe is granted also through this channel. I do live in Europe too, and I never had any problems in finding any FFG game so far.

Sorry for the disappointing news for the release date. As general rule of thumb, consider that the game, after leaving the "to the printer" status, needs 6 to 8 weeks to be shipped from China to the US and from there 10 more days to reach the stores, so, even if the game is to leave the factory tomorrow (no idea of this, tho), it's a safe bet we won't be seeing it available before half of june at earliest.

As for games... sure, I can suggest you countless titles :) What are you mostly interested in? American games? Eurostyle? With or without dice? Game lenght? Rules complexity? Some more hints could shorten my answer consistently and possibly grant you a better guidance :)

FFG is indeed American, but is also part of the Asmodee group, hence the distribution in Europe is granted also through this channel. I do live in Europe too, and I never had any problems in finding any FFG game so far.

Sorry for the disappointing news for the release date. As general rule of thumb, consider that the game, after leaving the "to the printer" status, needs 6 to 8 weeks to be shipped from China to the US and from there 10 more days to reach the stores, so, even if the game is to leave the factory tomorrow (no idea of this, tho), it's a safe bet we won't be seeing it available before half of june at earliest.

As for games... sure, I can suggest you countless titles :) What are you mostly interested in? American games? Eurostyle? With or without dice? Game lenght? Rules complexity? Some more hints could shorten my answer consistently and possibly grant you a better guidance :)

I don't really know what the difference between American style games and European style games is tbh, but I'm looking for something strategy based that takes at least an hour to play and can support a good number of playuers (4+) without requiring a large number of players to play at all (I saw one that had a minimum of 6 players). I don't mind with dice either way. All of my friends are experienced with complex mechanics so I'm not too concerned about a game being too complex but I don't want something as simple as Snakes & Ladders.

The games that I'm certainly considering so far are Relic and Chaos in the Old World (though I'm a little unsure about Relic because from the video it looks like there's no player interaction and it's just a race to see who can finish first).

Thx for all your help!

Of the games you're interested in, I'd suggest you getting Chaos in the Old World. The design is brilliant, and the game really really solid under all points of view. I'd not suggest you to get Relic, tho: as you said, it's mostrly a speed race, and it's really heavy on luck.

If you're interested in a good strategic game, I'd suggest you to get A Game of Thrones 2nd edition : it's an absolute masterpiece of strategy and diplomacy, with no impact of luck at all. You can read a couple of good reviews here and here . It's not too complex: the rules are just a few, but they can actually allow developing quite and in-depth strategy. The minimum to play is 3p, tho, no 2-player version possible.

Alteratively, if you want a cooperative game (i.e., you play with your buddies together against the game) you could give a look at Eldritch Horror or Arkham Horror , if you don't mind the lovecraftian setting. The good thing about coop gmes is that you can also solo those, by multi-assigning characters to yourself.

Hope this helps :)

Of the games you're interested in, I'd suggest you getting Chaos in the Old World. The design is brilliant, and the game really really solid under all points of view. I'd not suggest you to get Relic, tho: as you said, it's mostrly a speed race, and it's really heavy on luck.

If you're interested in a good strategic game, I'd suggest you to get A Game of Thrones 2nd edition : it's an absolute masterpiece of strategy and diplomacy, with no impact of luck at all. You can read a couple of good reviews here and here . It's not too complex: the rules are just a few, but they can actually allow developing quite and in-depth strategy. The minimum to play is 3p, tho, no 2-player version possible.

Alteratively, if you want a cooperative game (i.e., you play with your buddies together against the game) you could give a look at Eldritch Horror or Arkham Horror , if you don't mind the lovecraftian setting. The good thing about coop gmes is that you can also solo those, by multi-assigning characters to yourself.

Great, thankyou!

As a general rule of thumb, you know a new FFG game is almost here when you start seeing the rules previews every week or so. They'll do that for a few weeks, then they'll post the rulebook online, at which point it will probably be in stores in the next week or two. At least, here in North America. I'm not sure what the average delay for Europe is after that point. With the recent merger with Asmodee, it may not be as long as it used to be, though.

Edited by Steve-O

What Steve-O said. Basically, that is how FFG communicates plans to us as customers.

HEY! Don't say that about Relic!!!! :P

I love Relic, love the chaos the dice bring to the game which I think simulate really well the chaotic nature of the WH40K universe. Sure the game will sometimes get frustrating (I know, I experienced it quite a lot) but it eventually will come back on ya and you'll get what you were coming for; Glory.

But it's true, if you want to have complete control over your actions and their outcome, Relic will feel too random and frustrating. but if you want a solid thematic game where you can simply dive in and enjoy a fun and funny evening with friends, Relic might fit the bill!

HEY! Don't say that about Relic!!!! :P

I love Relic, love the chaos the dice bring to the game which I think simulate really well the chaotic nature of the WH40K universe. Sure the game will sometimes get frustrating (I know, I experienced it quite a lot) but it eventually will come back on ya and you'll get what you were coming for

Like... a wasted evening? :P :p

(joking, sorry... it's just not my cup of tea. Respect for all those enjoying the game, tho)

But it's true, if you want to have complete control over your actions and their outcome, Relic will feel too random and frustrating. but if you want a solid thematic game where you can simply dive in and enjoy a fun and funny evening with friends, Relic might fit the bill!

Yes, this is true. I think both Relic and Talisman require players to basically accept what you said: you're there for the story, for the fun of the encounters, and for an evening with friends. When I look at the game in this way, I'm ok with it :) But I know I'd be ok for one evening in a while, and not for continuous play (i.e. I don't see myself setting up the game every night and play more and more)

Just question of personal taste, I guess.

I'm curious to see the new exp, since Sam Bailey worked on that, and he's generally very good at adding mechanics or bending games in unexpected directions (see Gates of Arkham for ES). Let's see

Yeah I bought everything Elder Sign. I liked the app game but prefer the board game. It's cool to play with different people with their own midsets, makes the game better. GoA is a pretty awesome expansion!

I'm really curious to see how FS will play with only two players though. I own Starcraft+Brood War and the 2-player game is fun but nithing like a 4-player game. But I like the pace with only two players and I also house ruled to start the setup with a planet already on the table so we can have 5 planets and a little bit more room and options.

So i'm really curious about FS and it's number of players but I already know it'll be best with the max player count. nonetheless this sweet sweet piece of cardboard and plastic will be in my collection on release day.

And Relic is cool ok and even more so with Nemesis...and Halls of Terra will be awesome. Random chaos is amazingly fun :P

I guess it's no harm in saying this since there are people around who played this at some cons. 2p FS plays shorter (75 minutes, more or less; you can go 90 minutes, but it's very difficult to stretch the game longer unless you're really prone to AP); 4p FS plays a lot longer (can go 4 hours); the two games play very differently, with 2p games being more unforgiving (one big strategy error can cost you the game): you need to know when to attack and win the game.

Alternatively, if you want a cooperative game (i.e., you play with your buddies together against the game) you could give a look at Eldritch Horror or Arkham Horror , if you don't mind the lovecraftian setting. The good thing about coop gmes is that you can also solo those, by multi-assigning characters to yourself.

I agree with everything that is said in there.

I would only add that, while it is true that A game of thrones: Board game is playable with 3 players, those 3-player games can get very unbalance and sometimes even tiresome.

Don't get me wrong, this game is one of the most interesting and thrilling game I've played but it really shines when you play it with 5 or 6 players. If you want a better experience with 4 players, I suggest buying A Feast for Crows expansion that completely changes the game dynamic.

Finally, I've played many co-op games and just recently got into Eldritch Horror . This game is very engaging and challenging. The theme is amazing! In short, this game has a lot going for it. I recommend!

Very good points :)

As for Game of Thrones: can't help on the matter, my experience is with 1st edition only, but I agree that even in that case, 4 or 5 granted the most satisfactory experience (6p was possible only with an expansion in)

As for EH, indeed, it's really a good game. The only "weak point" imo is the first expansion, that adds too much randomness to effects and tests so that it makes the game weaker. But Mountains of Madness raises the quality bar a lot again

Very good points :)

As for Game of Thrones: can't help on the matter, my experience is with 1st edition only, but I agree that even in that case, 4 or 5 granted the most satisfactory experience (6p was possible only with an expansion in)

As for EH, indeed, it's really a good game. The only "weak point" imo is the first expansion, that adds too much randomness to effects and tests so that it makes the game weaker. But Mountains of Madness raises the quality bar a lot again

I bought EH and both expansions.

So far, I've only played EH base game with FL.

Do you recommend to add all cards into the mix or leave out FL on future plays that include MoM?

MoM tends to restabilize the original clockwork mechanisms even with FL in; the only thing that I'd suggest you to leave out are FL OW encounters: those add the most randomness to the deck, with insane modifiers on attribute tests, and asking to test attributes that are often not tested otherwise. In this way, you can actually plan on having a good sealer working.

In case you need specifics, you can find a detailed analysis here (I should update the file in a not too distant future, I hope)

MoM tends to restabilize the original clockwork mechanisms even with FL in; the only thing that I'd suggest you to leave out are FL OW encounters: those add the most randomness to the deck, with insane modifiers on attribute tests, and asking to test attributes that are often not tested otherwise. In this way, you can actually plan on having a good sealer working.

In case you need specifics, you can find a detailed analysis here (I should update the file in a not too distant future, I hope)

That was hell of a read! Just went through the Other World encounters analysis and ... well... awesome job!

I get what you meant now about FL influence on the game.

From a statistical point of view, my last game should not have happened as it happened... I must have closed four-five gates in a row with Leo.

Well, I'll try to leave out OW encounters from FL next game.

But for now, I've got some more reading to do :)

Wow Julia, that is a great read! You rock you know that? :)

Guys,

thanks for reading those files :) I'm sorry that it's a long time since the latest update so that there's nothing written about MoM. I'm kinda torn between waiting for Strange Remnants or just posting the MoM stuff.

As for Leo: (rofl)

If interested, here I'll post the ES analysis

Twilight Imperium... but you will enjoy it more with 8 players and 12 hours ;)

Anyone noted that it is now on the boat?

How long does that usually mean?! So excited about this!

6 weeks, more or less!