2015 Regionals Results

By MajorJuggler, in X-Wing

Just a quick question, what are the prizes for regional? I know that everyone gets a Boba Fett card for showing up but what do the top 8 get? Winner?

There's another thread that discusses that, but the top prizes include swirly dice, range rules, dice bag, and winner gets super bye to Nationals.

I dunno. Feels somehow wrong to point out the math behind his dice rolls. He made it to the finals. He won.

We'll never know if he would have won or lost with different die rolls, all we know is he won this time. Going any further feels like devaluing his accomplishment.

I agree, and on top of that I thought it was a really great list. A Dash that I've never seen before with the doughnut hole protected by 3 Prototype Pilots. As soon as I saw it I was surprised I hadn't seen it before. It becomes fairly easy to turn any attempt to enter Dash's blind spot into a bump with the bumping ship taking 4 dice with re-rolls and focuses.

I dunno. Feels somehow wrong to point out the math behind his dice rolls. He made it to the finals. He won.

We'll never know if he would have won or lost with different die rolls, all we know is he won this time. Going any further feels like devaluing his accomplishment.

I agree, and on top of that I thought it was a really great list. A Dash that I've never seen before with the doughnut hole protected by 3 Prototype Pilots. As soon as I saw it I was surprised I hadn't seen it before. It becomes fairly easy to turn any attempt to enter Dash's blind spot into a bump with the bumping ship taking 4 dice with re-rolls and focuses.

Tyler flew very very well.

Tyler crushed me in the top 4. He just plain outflew me, other than the time he landed Dash on an asteroid and forgot he couldn't fire. ;) His rolls were pretty normal.

I was impressed with his ability to accurately gauge ranges in his head. My Y-Wing took some damage, so I pulled it in very close to Biggs. Biggs was about as close behind the Y as he could be without touching it. Tyler flew Dash to a spot that was just outside of range 3 to Biggs, and finished off the Y. That was basically the game right there, as I only dropped an A, and now had to somehow corner Dash without benefit of my stressbot.

Paul

That ability to gauge range was a little unnerving. made me realize that I may not be at the top of the food chain yet lol

Did the footage from the stream for the WV regional get archived?

I don't think it takes anything away from someone's ability when you say their dice were hot. We have all played games where we played tactically perfect, but the dice just weren't there. I've had hot dice and I've had cold dice. I've played well in both of those and don't think it hurts to say someone's dice is hot. You can have hot dice, but if you act stupid, you can still lose. If you are good AND have hot dice, then you win the whole thing!

I don't think it takes anything away from someone's ability when you say their dice were hot. We have all played games where we played tactically perfect, but the dice just weren't there. I've had hot dice and I've had cold dice. I've played well in both of those and don't think it hurts to say someone's dice is hot. You can have hot dice, but if you act stupid, you can still lose. If you are good AND have hot dice, then you win the whole thing!

Sure, someone can have hot dice. But, in my experience at least, people often blame the dice for their loss instead of their own bad flying.

It happens quite frequently on VASSAL, and then you run the chat log through Lady Luck and, more often than not, it turns out the rolls were pretty average all around. Heck, it evens happens to me: I'll get frustrated at the dice, run the stats and... Average.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen that the dice did really have a large impact on the outcome.

But I find that people are too keen on blaming the dice when, in most cases, the dice aren't really to blame.

What is that comment about luck in the WV finals about?

I am including any noteworthy comments for each tournament. Tyler had terrific odds for the final game, the chances of him rolling that well were about one in a quarter million. We likely won't see anyone else get rolls that good for any one game in the entire Regionals season let alone in a Finals match, so it is noteworthy. We had it recorded on Twitch so I could calculate the probability.

link?! :D

I am including any noteworthy comments for each tournament. Tyler had terrific odds for the final game, the chances of him rolling that well were about one in a quarter million. We likely won't see anyone else get rolls that good for any one game in the entire Regionals season let alone in a Finals match, so it is noteworthy. We had it recorded on Twitch so I could calculate the probability.

I don't know if they archived it yet. I can message them to see if they can upload it to YouTube or something.

http://www.twitch.tv/yourhobbyplace/

I'm not saying it doesn't happen that the dice did really have a large impact on the outcome.

But I find that people are too keen on blaming the dice when, in most cases, the dice aren't really to blame.

In this case, the dice really were significant statistical outliers. If you played 10 games of X-wing per day, 365 days a year, it would take you 46 years worth of games before you would even have a 50% chance of matching the luck that Tyler had.

Edited by MajorJuggler

Did the footage from the stream for the WV regional get archived?

Yes. icynewyear on twitter is going to put them up on youtube at some point.

I don't know if they archived it yet. I can message them to see if they can upload it to YouTube or something.

http://www.twitch.tv/yourhobbyplace/

In this case, the dice really were significant statistical outliers. If you played 10 games of X-wing per day, 365 days a year, it would take you 46 years worth of games before you would even have a 50% chance of matching the luck that Tyler had.

In high school I was playing Risk with some buddies and had a lone guy in North Africa. My friend was attacking with a fat stack of guys from Brazil. I rolled eight 6's in a row to kill 8 of his guys before my lone warrior succumbed. It was insane. He was really pissed. The odds of that happening are about 1 in 6 million. I'm not counting on it ever happening again. This doesn't really have anything to do with X-wing, and doesn't really have a point, but I thought I'd share.

Sure, someone can have hot dice. But, in my experience at least, people often blame the dice for their loss instead of their own bad flying.

It happens quite frequently on VASSAL, and then you run the chat log through Lady Luck and, more often than not, it turns out the rolls were pretty average all around. Heck, it evens happens to me: I'll get frustrated at the dice, run the stats and... Average.

You may find the results themselves average out, BUT the timing is what gets people frustrated. How many times have you rolled way more evades than needed against an attack only to roll all blanks the next time? In aggregate it may look like you rolled average, but the timing of the results is what makes/breaks you.

In high school I was playing Risk with some buddies and had a lone guy in North Africa. My friend was attacking with a fat stack of guys from Brazil. I rolled eight 6's in a row to kill 8 of his guys before my lone warrior succumbed. It was insane. He was really pissed. The odds of that happening are about 1 in 6 million. I'm not counting on it ever happening again. This doesn't really have anything to do with X-wing, and doesn't really have a point, but I thought I'd share.

Those were some of the most frustrating games.

You may find the results themselves average out, BUT the timing is what gets people frustrated. How many times have you rolled way more evades than needed against an attack only to roll all blanks the next time? In aggregate it may look like you rolled average, but the timing of the results is what makes/breaks you.

I'd wager that, most of the time, even if you somehow considered the timing of the dice rolls, they'd come up average. Our perception/memory is no where near objective.

And, MajorJuggler, I saw the odds for that particular game and I agree the odds are quite incredible. My comment was directed at the general idea of blaming dice : too many people blame dice for too many of their games.

Also, heading out to the Regionals in Sherbrooke, Canada with Mu0n and a couple others in a few minutes! Yay!

Also, heading out to the Regionals in Sherbrooke, Canada with Mu0n and a couple others in a few minutes! Yay!

Best of luck! Bring back some swirly dice.

You'll have Vuud (Dany Laberge) Trevor Ryan (best local player), Kenny and 1 more, all of whom are Store Champs from Ottawa/Gatineau to contend with.

Best of luck and Fly Casual.

Edited by Sergovan

I'd wager that, most of the time, even if you somehow considered the timing of the dice rolls, they'd come up average. Our perception/memory is no where near objective.

And, MajorJuggler, I saw the odds for that particular game and I agree the odds are quite incredible. My comment was directed at the general idea of blaming dice : too many people blame dice for too many of their games.

there is a difference in blaming dice and noticing a remarkable occurrence in statistics.

Simple rule for fun & happiness: Never tell me the odds!

Just back from Barcelona (Spain) regional, with 80 players. 6 rounds + Top8.

Winner:
-Chiraneau (Engine, Rebel Captive, Gunner, Predator, Ysanne) - Soontir (PTL, Stealth, AT, RGT)

2nd:
-Han (VI, Gunner, C3PO, Falcon) - Corran (PTL, R2D2, FCS)

Top4

-Z-Biggs-B-Ten (Mangler...)
-Carnor (full set) - Sigma (Sensor Jammer, Intelligence, Stygium) - Sigma (same)
Top 8:
-Brobots (B-D)
-Brobots (VI, SCD, HLC, Inertial, AT, IG-2000, not sure the models but I think B-C)
-BB (both with Flechette and Tactician) + Fat Corran

-???

Details on a few lists are a bit blurry on my mind, and somehow I can't remember the last one. I'll try to do some extra research, but I'm not sure if the lists will be published.

Edited by Kharnete

Chirpy/Fel won at Tulsa Regional. 2nd was Whisper/Chirpy.

Top 8 also included a brobots, two xizor + 5 Z lists, one Fel/Whisper/Doom shuttle, one Corran plus 2 Warthog and I believe a Dash/Corran list.

Edited by TasteTheRainbow

Chirpy/Fel won at Tulsa Regional. 2nd was Whisper/Chirpy.

Top 8 also included a brobots, two xizor + 5 Z lists, one Fel/Whisper/Doom shuttle, one Corran plus 2 Warthog and I believe a Dash/Corran list.

Nice to hear the Starviper is getting some mileage in!

I lost to one of those xizor lists in Swiss. Pleasantly surprised at how effective it is. Unfortunately they faced a perfect mirror in first round of elimination.

Edited by TasteTheRainbow

Unfortunately they faced a perfect mirror in first round of elimination.

Ha, how did that happen?! Cyrodex hates Starvipers?

How many in attendance?

Dash + LW + Recon + outrider + HLC

Corran + VI + R2D2 + FCS + Engine

Won over

4 Tala

4 Bandit

At the 401 games Regional, Toronto, Ontario

Unfortunately they faced a perfect mirror in first round of elimination.

Ha, how did that happen?! Cyrodex hates Starvipers?

How many in attendance?

Missing dutch regional dates are;

den Bosch, Netherlands

12 july 2015

De Dobbelsteen - den Bosch

den Haag, Netherlands

30 May, 2015

Tabletop Kingdom

Eindhoven, Netherlands

25-26 July, 2015

Gameforce