Fighting and damage

By TheDishRacktion, in Zombie Apocalypse

So i just picked up this book and i am unsure of how combat works. The PC have fought some zombies but im not sure how to have the zombies attack what is their dice pool same with hostle enemies? Any help in this area would be nice

If you've had the PCs make attacks (or anyone else do anything else), then you know how to have the zombies attack.

Look up the appropriate zombie for your Scenario and note it's Attributes, build it's dicepool (one positive and negative dice, plus dice for positive and negative features, plus dice for positive and negative environmental circumstances, plus assistance dice - i.e. +1 dice per zombie immediately attacking the given PC, equpment will probably not be relevant for a zombie...), roll the dice and compare the results to their DEX.

Just a quick note. You do not automatically have to add a negative die to a pool...not all things you attempt should have a negative die. Negative dice are only included in a dice pool to represent negative features coming into play, traumas, and/or environmental effects that make what you are attempting more difficult. If you are making a straight up attack and no environmental modifiers come into effect, no traumas are in play, and no negative features then you may roll just your positive dice. This is detailed on pg 44.

I think you're wrong, stabz (don't have my book atm so can't verify but...). You don't have to add a base negative die when there's no chance of negative consequences to failure. This is definitely not the case in any combat.

If you're swinging (or even shooting) at someone/thing, you could break your hand on their skull, you could catch a hot casing down your shirt/they're getting closer, you can get stressed from failure in an attack (even if you're attacking an inanimate object - like trying to break down a door). So, IMHO anyway, you're always having a base negative die with combat, because there is danger inherent simply to the act of attacking.

Edited by emsquared

I think if your picking off a zombie from a pillbox type of position, there is a case for not including bad dice, but the GM can make a case for it like the sound drawing more zombies... So it's up to the situation really. I would say if it's not stressful, then don't include bad dice since they lead to stress...

I think you're wrong, stabz (don't have my book atm so can't verify but...). You don't have to add a base negative die when there's no chance of negative consequences to failure. This is definitely not the case in any combat.

If you're swinging (or even shooting) at someone/thing, you could break your hand on their skull, you could catch a hot casing down your shirt/they're getting closer, you can get stressed from failure in an attack (even if you're attacking an inanimate object - like trying to break down a door). So, IMHO anyway, you're always having a base negative die with combat, because there is danger inherent simply to the act of attacking.

I think the reason stabz wrote this is because of the combat example given on page 36 of the rulebook:

The group finds itself surrounded by a gang of undead in a basement it has been looting. Milla pulls out the pistol she lifted from the sporting goods store and starts firing to cover her friends' escape. She adds three positive dice to her pool: one for the pistol, one for her Crack Shot feature, and one for being at nearly point-blank range. Then, George (the GM) adds one negative die to her pool for the darkness in the basement.

That being said, the fact of the matter is this: combat is stressful. It's stressful if you're engaged in a punch-up; it's stressful if you're the target of incoming fire; it's stressful if you're being lunged at by a dead thing trying to gnaw on your innards. Since negative dice represent stress and it's possible influence of your character, they seem fitting for the situation.