Other games, other settings.

By Deathseed, in Star Wars: Armada Off-Topic

So hey, why not discuss some other games and settings you play around with.

My roommate and I just had our first session in a RPG setting I've started messing around with.

In particular we're using the Fate RPG system.

The setting:

header.jpg?t=1413482568

And so far we're off to a swimming start with his character having just been inducted into X-Com after a bloody encounter with the aliens while serving in Special Forces Delta.

A rescue mission for troops captured in Afghanistan turned into a firefight with xenos that earned him a spot on the X-Com team.

We're gonna be having a lot of fun with this.

Where do you get the alien's stats from? Homebrew?

Pretty much. Since the stunts/stats/extras/aspects functions of the Fate system are so modular and plug & play, they are very well suited to on-the-fly improvisation. I just sketch out the general important skills, stunts, powers, and aspects to be more or less inline with the themes of the various aliens in the computer game and go from there.

His character even had a sectoid try to psionically overthrow his mind, which he resisted. All improvised to work against his mental damage track. We even parlayed the event into a possible suggestion that his character is a latent psionic.

Pretty much. Since the stunts/stats/extras/aspects functions of the Fate system are so modular and plug & play, they are very well suited to on-the-fly improvisation. I just sketch out the general important skills, stunts, powers, and aspects to be more or less inline with the themes of the various aliens in the computer game and go from there.

His character even had a sectoid try to psionically overthrow his mind, which he resisted. All improvised to work against his mental damage track. We even parlayed the event into a possible suggestion that his character is a latent psionic.

Hah! That's awesome. Fate Core is a fantastic system for on the fly games. in the last few years, I've joined a couple friends at conventions for one-off Fate sessions, brewed up on the spot. One was a cyberpunkish death-race, inspired by the 2009 anime Redline, the other was a massive Kaijou & Mecha battle. Both were glorious.