New Expansion - Ogre Kingdoms

By Iryos, in Warhammer: Diskwars

Don't DO that to me. I knew the post couldn't be a bout a real expansion, but it still got my hopes up...

That said, the army looks interesting. Aura of flame seems WAY too strong to me, though. As it stands now it is essentially an auto-kill/wound on any unit unless it happens to have arcane resistance. Throw in the fact that it can hit more than one unit (and only enemy units) just makes it even more crazy.

Cool stuff, though. :)

Sorry for small alarm ^_^

About Aura of Flames. When I created it I looked (as with everything else) on existing parallels and balanced it from these 'checkppoints'.

For this card I took Fists of Mork and I thought - you have to come closer -- so +1 to d6-1, you have only one unit which can use it, there is no tough caster hero among Ogres, so when you lose Firebelly you are screwed -- further +1 to d6. However as you commented on it, I realized, that it's maybe not that simple and I took a look on mybe more similar card -Vermintide, which'd be much weaker than Aura of Flames. However I find Vermintide quite weak when compared to other exisiting cards, but maybe there will plenty of priests and casters in Skaven army, which'll be able to positionaly cast it.

What do you think about it and what ability'd you suggest? :)

Version 1.1 is here

I introduced two new abilities - Freeze (Thundertusk) which comes with new token and Ogre core (small disks solution)

I created one new unit - Yhetees - otherwise Tundertusk'd be the only one with Freeze ability.

I created one Gnoblar unit. (Surprisingly I found another good artwork, but realized I prefer only one Gnob)

I boosted some units, I nerfed some, changed prices (in fact almost all units are at least a bit modified)

I reworked two cards: Aura- It's d6-1 an hits even allies, and added Guard 1 to Wall of Guts.

Thanks for suggestions!

I'm curious what you think about the new changes!

I like it! A few things that stand out to me:

1. The whole faction has a nice cost\benefit feel. Lots of command cards with powerful abilities mixed with potential drawbacks, and several units that have great strengths and severe weaknesses. I really like the leadbelchers in this regard, as their range limitation is nicely balanced by their stamina and their damage potential.

2. Balancing "core" type units with stamina will be tough--ironguts, for example, with guard, charge, and stamina, are going to be absolute beasts in a brawler role. They are costed fairly high at the moment, so this might be fine, but stamina is just so good that it is hard to tell until I see them on the table. The army will be very difficult to kill, that much is certain.

3. The freeze keyword is interesting, as it opens up some very interesting possibilities in scrums, but is relatively worthless in single combat. It would definitely be best used with ranged attacks if available.

4. Not sure I would ever take the scrap launcher. Ability to wound itself, range limitations compared to other siege weapons...but interesting counterpoint with stamina, toughness, impact. Again, hard to say without seeing it in action. Mournfang also feel underwhelming to me, but again, you are walking a fine line with that stamina, so maybe they are priced correctly.

You have enticed me enough that I am thinking about proxies and a little test battle...keep up the good work!

Velensk from BGG made test Vassal module for this army. We are going to have a battle this saturday, so I will write a report how are Ogres doing :) I'm a bit time pressed but in case you'd like to have a battle, just write me and I'll find some time.

Nice! I look forward to seeing the report. As for the battle, I wouldn't be able to do it this week anyway--but thanks for the offer, I appreciate it! :)

We clashed with Velensk on Saturday and I may say he's very experienced player.

We played 3 two regiment battles. I forgot to take screens, so it won't be much deatiled, just what I remember. However Velensk made some, so maybe he'll make a report (despite the games being relatively straightforward)

In the first I run Ogres against Velensks Empire-Woodelf combo.

I run Golgfag and Greasus, each having 3 Bulls and 1 Leadbelcher, cards: Bloodgorger, Wall of Guts, Trample’em, Horde of the Maw - I wanted to try whether bulls aren't too strong

Velensk run magic snipers (drycha, blazing mages, + magic cards) with fast guys like knight panter and wardencers.

And, well I got smashed - First I got some guys sniped and then I allowed massive charge without managing any solid countercharge and so I had my whole army pinned.

First lesson Ogres are truly slow and clumsy (Velensk commented on feeling them like dwarfs without artillery in extreme and there is stg about it) - you have to be prepared for a charge all the time while aproaching enemy. Trample'em can help spliting enemy lines, but only if you roll well.

Secondly I run Ogres against Tomb Kings.

I had Brag, Skrag, 5 gnoblars, Ironguts, 2 bulls and butcher, cards: Trollguts, Trampl’em, Wall of Guts, Bloodgorger

Velensk run some crazy poison combo- Khalida, Khatep, two chariots, bunch of archers, necrotect, 2x tomb guard.

In this game I started well, I got cave and made hide here. Then came very good rolls on trample'em and I took the chance and rushed headlong into enemy lines, Bragg pinning Khatep and Ironguts pinning Khalida. There were two problems: my freshly reinforced gnoblars were left behind and Brag didn't kill khatep, beacuse nasty necrotect increased his toughness by two, Khalida was decreasing attack value and he was empowered as well- unpleasant surprise. My bulls then got into brawl with two Tomb Guards which were positioned on some empowering terrain- well as TGuards ability suggests, they ended up beaten. and that was the end - TGuards finished off Skrag, and the battlefield was cleaned of Gnoblars soon. Tomb kings had 5 command cards as well, that was unpleasant.

Moral of the story: Maybe don't take 5 Gnoblars, don't leave them behind and beware nasty combos? ;)

In the third on I took Empire, while facing Ogres under Velensks command.

I run Franz and Volkmar, 2xMarienburg, 2xTalabeclad, 2xTalabheim, Knights, pistoliers and Tank. Cards: Myrmida, Eager,some empower, grim resolve.

I faced: Skrag, Greasus, 2x Firebellies, 2-3x Bulls, Scraplauncher, Gnoblars, Sabretusk. cards: Aura of flame, empower, wall of guts, eager troops.

So we aproached, we met on some svift counterattack inducing terrain - this was bad as I had hard times getting rid of ogres sitting here, feasting on my desperate troopers. However the battle was relatively even, to the point when unactivated stallwart firebelly (hidden under 2 units of mine) managed to blast of my guys blocking his Bull and hero and I was done.

Result: Firebellies can be truly brutal (especially with Greasus, which removes activation from them whenever they are pinned) - I will decrease their toughness to 5 and I'm considering whether stallwart is the right choise for them. Greasus is really hard to deal with as well, he is not extreme with 5/5 but with T5andW2 he is truly rolling avalanche. Suggestions welcomed!

That's all for a while, my finals are starting on tommorow!

Edited by Iryos

I did make a report on these matches, you can find it on BGG.

Question: I just saved all of your images for the disks and cards to Microsoft Office. How did you print out your disks to be the proper size so they could be played? I tried a few different printing modes but could not quite get the right size.

I think most of the testing has been done with the Vassal module. I know I've played with him several times online.

Question: I just saved all of your images for the disks and cards to Microsoft Office. How did you print out your disks to be the proper size so they could be played? I tried a few different printing modes but could not quite get the right size.

I didn't come to this forum for quite some time so the answer is a bit delayed. I added complete army in 2 images on the page size in which I scanned the original disks. In case you print it right away from the image at around 100% size it should work. All the disks are tested 2.0 version which should be well balanced and most probably won't see any changes.

Neverthless I didn't find anyone willing to make the disks for me and that's a problem for any future armies since I don't have the time to physically make them myself. So until I find someone able to do so I won't work on any additional armies. Good luck with Ogre Power! They are quite fun to play with and against!