any suggestions

By rickert, in Wings of War

I am open to suggestions for a problem I'm having trying to get into this game. I was thinking about buying the Famous Aces box to try out this game. However I am put off by the fact that there are such limitations in maneuver decks, making some matchups impossible. I'm not quite ready to jump into the miniatures until I'm sure I like the game.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

It seems the WWII product is handled with more maneuver decks. Perhaps I will pass on WWI and go directly to WWII.

Nah, WW1 is fun. A war for gentlemen (at least in the air).

If you can find the Wings of war: Deluxe set somewhere it is the perfect solution. It comes with 4 minitures and all you need to get into the game to a really good price, heck buying the miniatures loose costs a lot more than the whole package.

I did an ebay and a couple of other searches and didn't find the deluxe set. It is likely a bit rare if it is that kind of value and wasn't released in the U.S. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Ouch, no it is only released in Europe.

If you are not afraid to order them from England you can however buy it here: staffordgames.co.uk/index.php

Coming from someone who just picked this up last weekend, its worth it. I picked up Watch Your Back played a couple of games and went back to the store the same afternoon and picked up Burning Drachens. They didnt have Famous Aces but I ordered it. The game can be played out of one box, my brother and I did, and we had a lot of fun. He chipped in for half the other box so it kinda worked out, and we played a lot of games. I like the minis but because I recently kicked the habit of minis (played 40k way too long!) Im very content with the cards. I would give it a try, the box sets are a one time investment and when you compare them to other types of games it ends up being a good deal. Well thats my opinion anyway!

Dave

Even with the limited card decks, Famous Aces is worth a look. If you like the game (and I'm betting you will, I picked up the other 2 boxes and a pile of models a week after getting Famous Aces since I loved the game so much !) you can always pick up miniatures later as each come with it's own deck. You could always use the "Flying Patrols" alternative rule if you need to use more than one of the same deck type with the basic box set. Basically, you write down the card numbers corresponding to the manouvres you're plotting for that turn rather than place cards.