Official FFG FAQ now available --UPDATED 9/10/09--

By ffgMark, in Chaos in the Old World

The Official FAQ for Chaos in the Old World is now available and can be found on the support page . This is a living document, and will be updated periodically. Please post any subsequent questions to this thread.

LAST UPDATED 9/10/09

Enjoy!

In anticipation of the FAQ coming out, I sent a few questions in that didn't appear to make the list. From what I can remember (and a few new ones):

Chaos Cards

• Reborn in Blood : Do the hits from one battle carry over to the second battle? If you kill at least 1 enemy figure in each battle, does this count as two dial advancement tokens? If this card is played alongside Blood Frenzy , do you conduct two pre-battle rolls or is there still only one pre-battle no matter how many battles take place?
  • The Skull Throne: With this card, Bloodsworns become worth ZERO Dominance if they have not been upgraded, correct?
  • Abyssal Pact and The Skull Throne : Abyssal Pact ignores figures when calculating Dominance. The Skull Throne counts attack dice. Does AP cancel TST or would you still count the attack dice for any figures here?
  • Sopoforic Must: When you control an enemy Cultist, can you resummon that controlled Cultist to another region? If so, does it take all of its attributes with it? For example, if Tzeentch has upgraded his Acolytes and Slaanesh controls Tzeentch's Cultist, can he resummon him to anotehr region and take a Warpstone (if present) along with him?
  • Plague Touch and Rain of Pus: If Nurgle has one of his figures controlled by Slaanesh in this region, does it's defense value increase (because of RoP ) or is it's defense reduced by 1 to a minimum of 1 (because of PT )? In other words, what is its temporary attributes and is it considered an enemy figure now?

Upgrade Cards

• Plaguebearer Upgrade : How exactly does this work? Are the parting hits your dead Plaguebearers generate allocated by themselves immediately? Or do they combine with the hits you may assign or have already assigned when you roll your battle dice? In other words, if Khorne kills some plaguebearers, can you hang on to the hits and add them to the hits your guys may roll? Or if Nurgle or Slaanesh kill them, can you go back and add them to hits you already assigned? If you can add them to other hits, what about any hits generated in pre-battle from Blood Frenzy ?

Old World Cards

• Plunged into Chaos: How are the 3 Victory Points scored if 2 or more players are tied for the most collected Peasants: share the points or no points awarded?
  • The Cursade is Come: The two Peasant tokens must be placed in two different regions as well as the two Heroes and two Nobles. Can the Noble be placed in a region with a Peasant or Hero and vice versa? In other words, must these 6 tokens be placed in 6 different regions or can they be placed in as little as two regions as long as no tokens are duplicated in the same region?
  • Up from Skavenbright: Is only one Skaven token placed per Warpstone and that one Skaven token placed either in a region with the Warpstone or adjacent to a region with the Warpstone? The way the card is worded, it can be interpreted to mean if a Warpstone is in Bretonnia, then each of Estalia, The Empire, Tilea, and the Border Princes receives a Skaven token. Also, can the same region receive two Skaven tokens if it as adjacent to two regions with Warpstones (or adjacent to one and contains one itself)?
  • Warpstone Discovery : How many cards may be drawn with this event? Does it mean only draw one Chaos card total no matter how many figures you have in different regions with Warpstones? Or does it mean you get one Chaos card for each region with a Wapstone and your follower?
  • Witch Hunters: How is this card resolved? Does it mean in each region with a Hero, whoever has the relative highest threat loses a corruption token? Or does it mean only the single player with the highest threat lose a corruption in every region where he has corruption and there is a Hero (i.e. the other 3 gods are safe)? If two (or more) Heroes are present, are two (or more) corruption tokens lost?

Corruption Phase

• This was officially answered before but not included in the FAQ. The rulebook states that when you Ruin a region, you only gain bonus points if you contributed corruption tokens during the Corruption Step . However, the upgraded Great Unclean One and the Perverse Infiltration place corruption during the Summoning Phase . Do these corruption tokens count for the bonus points? Or must you have a Cultist present during Ruination to get the bonus points?

Old World Tokens

• Heroes : Same as the previous question: how exactly are they resolved? Does it mean in each region with a Hero, whoever has the relative highest threat loses a figure? Or does it mean only the single player with the highest threat lose a figure in every region where he has a figure and there is a Hero (i.e. the other 3 gods are safe)? [i believe this one is the first scenario as the rulebook implies the target could change in a region if the highest threat is removed - I just want to be sure since the question came up on the Witch Hunters card.]

Unanswered Questions

• Why 12 spaces on the Power Point Track if 9 appears to be the most you can get at any given time?
  • Variants: Are we going to get a 2-player variant some day?
  • Expansions: Are we going to get some?

The only Errata for Dial Advancements on the Power Sheets in the FAQ is for Slaanesh´s Sheet. In ColtsFan76 post "official Answers from FFG" the Dial Advancement Condition of Khorne was corrected to "two or more" too. That not being in the FAQ means it was discarded?

The Correction of Khornes Dial Advancement Condition was the best thing that could happen. With this change the game was balanced and better, why take this back?

Khorne was underpowered with 2+ figures. I think that most of the reports of Khorne running away with games were down to Khorne's victory condition being quite obvious compared to the other gods and therefore easier to win with when people are playing for the 1st time.

As Weevil pointed out, the "correction" to Khorne was a mistake and a result of some internal confusion at FFG. I think it makes Khorne slighlty overpowered at the 1+ condition but he was way too underpowered at 2+. He was too dependent on the luck of the roll to get any dial advancement and it really took him out of the running too often.

A sign of an easy Khorne win just means that the others aren't playing up to their full potential yet. It will take a couple of plays as each god to really dial into their strategies and see the best way for them to win. But in the meantime, Khorne and Slaanesh have the most straightforward paths to victory and gameplay so they should be given to the newest players when teaching the game.

Thanks for the quick replies. It's nice to have something in print.

"Abyssal Pact and The Skull Throne: Abyssal Pact ignores figures when calculating Dominance. The Skull Throne counts attack dice. Does AP cancel TST or would you still count the attack dice for any figures here?"

Not an official response, but surely you go by the book saying that a disabling effect trumps an enabling effect? If figures don't count at all for dominance, surely it doesn't matter how much they would have counted, to put it another way.

phobiandarkmoon said:

"Abyssal Pact and The Skull Throne: Abyssal Pact ignores figures when calculating Dominance. The Skull Throne counts attack dice. Does AP cancel TST or would you still count the attack dice for any figures here?"

Not an official response, but surely you go by the book saying that a disabling effect trumps an enabling effect? If figures don't count at all for dominance, surely it doesn't matter how much they would have counted, to put it another way.

Yes, they updated the FAQ today and answered most of the questions.

On the Question:

Q: Does placing two corruption tokens in a region with one magic symbol and one warpstone token fulfil Tzeentch's dial advancement condition"

the answer reads (Underline and Itallix added for imphasis,)

A: Yes. To earn one dial advancement counter, Tzeentch must place two or more corruption tokens in a region with a minimum of two magic symbols, two warpstone tokens, or at least one of each - one magic symbol and one corruption token.

Shouldn't ' corruption token ' read ' Warpstone ' ?

or am I totally confused?

Yes, it should read Warpstone instead of corruption.

In the FAQ's it states...

Q: There is conflicting information
about Khorne’s dial advancement
condition. What is the correct rule?
A: Khorne earns one dial advancement counter each
time he kills one or more enemy figures in a region
during a battle . The example shown in the rulebook on
page 23 is incorrect.

... question still arises (from my brother)...

If Khorne plays "Blood Frenzy" card* in a region, does he/she have to have a figure there to use the card and furthermore,

Can he/she roll the two battle dice and apply hits to a figure, Would this be enough to fullfill his/her "Dial/tick" ability in that region if

he/she removes a figure this way?

*Blood Frenzy*

( " At the beginning of Battle in this region, you roll (2) battle dice here and apply any resulting hits before regular battle dice are rolled ")

I said "Yes", my brother said "No"... who is Right in this matter?

Hey Nick.

Your first question is answered in the FAQ:

Q: Does the Khorne player need to have
any of his figures in the same region as
a Blood Frenzy card in order to roll the
two battle dice granted by the card?

A: No. The Khorne player gains these battle dice from
the card’s effect, and does not need figures present to
benefit from the card.

Your next question is partial answered here (Your next question seemed to be hinting at "Is there still a battle if no Khrone figures are present?")

Q: During the Battle Phase, what
conditions trigger a battle in a region?

A: In any region where at least one player has an effect
allowing him to roll battle dice, and there is at least
one eligible target, there is a battle. Effects that allow a
player to roll battle dice may come from either a figure’s

attack value or a card effect. Eligible targets are player
figures and peasant tokens.

The final part of your question isn't addressed specifically by the FAQ. However, the first FAQ entry you reference says it all basically. You earn a dial advancement each tiem you kill a figure in battle. Battle includes the "before battle" (or "pre-battle") dice and casualties. So if you kill figures in a region because of Blood Frenzy, you would get a dial advancement token. This is an effective strategy for Khorne to go after particularly slippery enemies that have scurried away from the real conflicts. So it appears you are correct and your brother is wrong.

Thanks Brian ...!!!! It makes sense now! After learning the game, I see NOW how the other gods have to stop the Khorne player... before it was like him running away with the game with "ticks" but, after our last few games, Khorne had trouble getting the easy ticks! (Blood Frenzy will surely help a bit though)

Hi!

- Are tipped units removed before Reborn in Blood 's second battle?

- Is Blood frenzy resolved before upgraded Keeper of Secret's control ability?

- The Khorne forced in the region consist of one upgraded Bloodletter and one upgraded cultist. The Nurgle forces in the region consist of Great Unclean One and one cultist. The battle phase begins. The Bloodletter manages to cause one "early hit" and the Khorne player applies it to the Great Unclean One. The upgraded cultist doesn't cause a hit. Was this correctly played? Would the situation be different if Khorne cultist wasn't upgraded?

Tanan said:

Hi!

- Are tipped units removed before Reborn in Blood 's second battle?

- Is Blood frenzy resolved before upgraded Keeper of Secret's control ability?

- The Khorne forced in the region consist of one upgraded Bloodletter and one upgraded cultist. The Nurgle forces in the region consist of Great Unclean One and one cultist. The battle phase begins. The Bloodletter manages to cause one "early hit" and the Khorne player applies it to the Great Unclean One. The upgraded cultist doesn't cause a hit. Was this correctly played? Would the situation be different if Khorne cultist wasn't upgraded?

Yes

I'd say that the KoS goes first, but you could argue it either way

That situation is fine, though the Khorne player is being somewhat optimistic hoping for two hits from their lone cultist. Technically, if the cultist wasn't upgraded then it'd be against the spirit of the rules to not kill the cultist, but because they are in two different steps (first strike and simultaneous) I'd allow it

Thank you for the answers!

phobiandarkmoon said:

I’d say that the Khorne goes first because:

Rulesbook page 9 wrote:
In many phases, all four Chaos Powers carry out actions that are interdependent (i.e., where the actions of one Power may depend on the actions of another). When this is the case, the players always act in Power order: Khorne first, Nurgle second, Tzeentch third, and Slaanesh fourth. For convenience, this is the order (clockwise from the top) in which the four dials are arranged on the game board.

New questions:
- The Khorne forces in the region consist of one upgraded Bloodletter and one Bloodthirster. The Nurgle forces in the region consist of one upgraded Plaguebearer and one Great Unclean One. The Bloodletter manages to cause one "early hit" and the Khorne player applies it to the upgraded Plaguebearer, which is killed and removed from the region. Can the Nurgle player assign the hit (caused by the death of the Plaguebearer) to the Bloodthirster?

- Rain of Pus has been played to the region. The Nurgle forces in the region consist of one cultist. The Khorne forces in the region consist of one upgraded Bloodletter. The Slaaneshi forces in the region consist of one upgraded Keeper of Secrets. The battle phase begins. KoS takes control of the cultist. The Bloodletter manages to cause five "early hits". Are both KoS and cultist killed?

Tanan said:

Thank you for the answers!

phobiandarkmoon said:

I’d say that the Khorne goes first because:

Rulesbook page 9 wrote:
In many phases, all four Chaos Powers carry out actions that are interdependent (i.e., where the actions of one Power may depend on the actions of another). When this is the case, the players always act in Power order: Khorne first, Nurgle second, Tzeentch third, and Slaanesh fourth. For convenience, this is the order (clockwise from the top) in which the four dials are arranged on the game board.

New questions:
- The Khorne forces in the region consist of one upgraded Bloodletter and one Bloodthirster. The Nurgle forces in the region consist of one upgraded Plaguebearer and one Great Unclean One. The Bloodletter manages to cause one "early hit" and the Khorne player applies it to the upgraded Plaguebearer, which is killed and removed from the region. Can the Nurgle player assign the hit (caused by the death of the Plaguebearer) to the Bloodthirster?

- Rain of Pus has been played to the region. The Nurgle forces in the region consist of one cultist. The Khorne forces in the region consist of one upgraded Bloodletter. The Slaaneshi forces in the region consist of one upgraded Keeper of Secrets. The battle phase begins. KoS takes control of the cultist. The Bloodletter manages to cause five "early hits". Are both KoS and cultist killed?

Now that I've got the set in front of me - definitely the KoS because of the wording. Blood Frenzy says "At the start of battle in this region ", whereas the KoS upgrade says "At the beginning of the battle phase ". So the battle phase begins, the KoS steals someone, then we start resolving in region order. Blood Frenzy only kicks in at the time of that region being resolved.

Yes, any time you can assign hits in different sections of the battle phase, you can assign to attempt to kill something big with later attacks. There's an example in the rulebook of Khorne using Blood Frenzy for this purpose.

To summarise your last question - does Rain of Pus continue boosting the cultist's defence if he comes under the control of another player? The wording on Rain of Pus says "The defence value of each of your figures in this region is increased by one." This is a static effect that increases works on Nurgle's figures - it doesn't grant a boost until end of turn, it changes the game when the game asks 'how much defence does does this figure have?" So, as the rulebook states that a controlled figure takes on statistics and abilities as they were when the other player controlled them, but says nothing about continuous effects, the defence doesn't carry over, and thus the KoS and the cultist die (as they are killed simultaneously, the fact that the cultist would then revert to Nurgle control is irrelevant)

Now that I've got the set in front of me - definitely the KoS because of the wording. Blood Frenzy says "At the start of battle in this region", whereas the KoS upgrade says "At the beginning of the battle phase". So the battle phase begins, the KoS steals someone, then we start resolving in region order. Blood Frenzy only kicks in at the time of that region being resolved.

Ah, you are correct.

Yes, any time you can assign hits in different sections of the battle phase, you can assign to attempt to kill something big with later attacks. There's an example in the rulebook of Khorne using Blood Frenzy for this purpose.

FAQ page 5 wrote:
Q: After acquiring the Plaguebearer upgrade, when does the Nurgle player assign hits for killed Plaguebearers?
A: Hits from killed Plaguebearers are resolved based on the part of the Battle Phase in which they are killed. If Plaguebearers are killed during a beginning of battle effect (such as Khorne’s Blood Frenzy card), then for each Plaguebearer killed during the beginning of battle step, the Nurgle player assigns one hit to that opponent’s figures before proceeding to the standard battle. During the standard battle step, damage is assigned after one player has completed all his attacks. For example, after Khorne has rolled all his battle dice and assigned all hits in a region, the Nurgle player then inflicts one hit per Plaguebearer killed by Khorne to an eligible Khorne figure in that region. However, remember that a player may not assign fewer hits to a figure than are necessary to kill it. Hits are not “stored up” to combine hits with other players or effects.

I think that designer's intent is that Plaguebearer hits are never "stored up".

To summarise your last question - does Rain of Pus continue boosting the cultist's defence if he comes under the control of another player? The wording on Rain of Pus says "The defence value of each of your figures in this region is increased by one." This is a static effect that increases works on Nurgle's figures - it doesn't grant a boost until end of turn, it changes the game when the game asks 'how much defence does does this figure have?" So, as the rulebook states that a controlled figure takes on statistics and abilities as they were when the other player controlled them, but says nothing about continuous effects, the defence doesn't carry over, and thus the KoS and the cultist die (as they are killed simultaneously, the fact that the cultist would then revert to Nurgle control is irrelevant)

Are you sure that kills are simultaneous?

Rulebook page 15 wrote:
To assign hits, once all battle dice have been rolled (including additional dice from any die explosions), the player simply announces, for each hit, which enemy figure, or Peasant token, he is targeting. Each hit must be assigned to a target in the region whose battle is being resolved. A player may not allocate hits against his own figures (unless they are controlled by another player – see “Control of Enemy Figures” on page 25). If enough hits are assigned to a figure that they equal or exceed its defense value, that figure is tipped onto its side to indicate that it has been killed. (However, it will not be removed from the board until all players have rolled their battle dice for the region; see the next page.)

The way I read it, the Khorne player could first assing four hits to KoS, killing it -> The cultist returns to Nurgle control -> Khorne player can't assign a hit to the 0/2 cultist -> The cultist survives.

Tanan said:

Rulebook page 15 wrote:
To assign hits, once all battle dice have been rolled (including additional dice from any die explosions), the player simply announces, for each hit, which enemy figure, or Peasant token, he is targeting. Each hit must be assigned to a target in the region whose battle is being resolved. A player may not allocate hits against his own figures (unless they are controlled by another player – see “Control of Enemy Figures” on page 25). If enough hits are assigned to a figure that they equal or exceed its defense value, that figure is tipped onto its side to indicate that it has been killed. (However, it will not be removed from the board until all players have rolled their battle dice for the region; see the next page.)

The way I read it, the Khorne player could first assing four hits to KoS, killing it -> The cultist returns to Nurgle control -> Khorne player can't assign a hit to the 0/2 cultist -> The cultist survives.

Hmm, possibly. I think we then move to the question of why the hell Khorne chooses to do that, but fair enough.

Regarding plaguebearer's hits, I've seen confusing examples of being able/not able to assign partial hits. So the way I play it is to allow storing of hits in the battle phase within one player's hits over that battle phase - e.g. Khorne's Battle Frenzy and regular speed attacks.

I think it would be most excellent of there was an official statement on the following as it has caused a fair argument at my FLGS.

I believe that Nurgle/Tzeench/Slanesh only gain 1 dial advancement counter per 2 corruption they place once. However they are all currently voting me down saying that if they place 4 corruption they get 2 dial advancement's; 6 corruption=3 advances, etc... With the wording on the cards I just don't believe this is true, I'm not sure that the F.A.Q. covers this specifically; I wish it would!

Any help would be fantastic.

... All the cards say 'if you place two or more corruption tokens in a region with ...'. So clearly placing four tokens in a region is two or more, and thus is one dial advancement token, in the same way that Khorne gets only one token if he kills 5 figures in a region

Hello.

When Khorne play "Blood Frenzy" card in region, with not attacking figures ( only 2 Nurgle's cultists and 3 Slaanesh's cultists ), did Khorne roll two dices in this case?

On card written "before battle" ( so, no battle - no before battle ), but FAQ mention that "Blood Frenzy" means "before battle phase".

Thank you.