Do I need all the expansions?

By Dathbain, in Wings of War (WWI)

Well it worked! I bought Watch Your Back this weekend and after playing a few games and reading through the forum I turned around and went back to the store and bought Burning Drachens (sp?) but I didnt find Famous Aces...so I ordered it! My question is, with all the little expansion packs as well as more on the horizon (no pun intended) do I really need all of them or just the Boxed games? What has been everyone elses experience with getting all the expansions? I would hate to buy all this stuff and then never use it!

Thanks, Dathbain

Well, it is more or less up to you.

It really depends on how you play. We play a highly customized campaign from Verdun to the Armistice with all kinds of random missions and sometimes larger battles. So we need all we can get, particulary as many decks for the planes (we use some Wow models and some Red eagle models for the many plane wow misses).

Since our campaign is based on one game each month every new plane is very important and can change the whole war for us (Our pilots gets experience and abilities with custom rules, if you have a crappy plane your chanses of dying with an experienced pilot increases) we need as many planes as possible.

If you on the other hand just is playing lose friendly games you can do with just the basic game. I reccomend the 1/144 models however, they give the game a totaly different dimension even if they cost a bit.

But I would welcome a huge pack with all the rules in.

In short: no.

But if you're looking for a specific aircraft (or type of aircraft, such as bombers), then yes!

...and of course if you just want to support the game - then you should have all of the games gran_risa.gif

Thanks! I dont think Im going the miniature route though, I just sold mostly all my minis due to space and I dont think I want to re-live that nightmare. I need to ask the guys I game with about campaigning, we havent really thought about that, but it does sound interesting. I guess I'll pick up the card pack expansions, the more the merrier!

Thanks

Dathbain said:

Thanks! I dont think Im going the miniature route though, I just sold mostly all my minis due to space and I dont think I want to re-live that nightmare. I need to ask the guys I game with about campaigning, we havent really thought about that, but it does sound interesting. I guess I'll pick up the card pack expansions, the more the merrier!

Thanks

It doesn't take up that much space as long as you have the right box for them. We use a box for screws lined with cotton and I get over 20 planes into one of them (I have 3 boxes however). But no hurry with it, they are releasing more and more planes and right now we miss many important. Keeping the original boxes do take a lot of space though.

But i really think you should try a campaign, it adds a lot of fun to the game ). My campaign rules are in a thred here and there is another nice set also made by another player here . Of course can you also make your own or mix them as you like,if you make your own you should post them here.

Campaigns are really fun to play in. Pour Le Merite linked to my campaign rules in his post, but you can find the most current version on my new and quickly expanding Wings of War site, Wings of War Aerodrome . Besides the campaign rules, we have over 70 other files posted. Well worth the time to check it out.

HMS Hajj said:

Campaigns are really fun to play in. Pour Le Merite linked to my campaign rules in his post, but you can find the most current version on my new and quickly expanding Wings of War site, Wings of War Aerodrome . Besides the campaign rules, we have over 70 other files posted. Well worth the time to check it out.

Agreed, it is a nice site. I havn't read your latest campaign rules myself yet but I intend to do soon. There are several interesting ways to run a campaign, from random missions to fully planned battles based on real dogfights and there are so many cool things you can do.

I am considering making a Jasta B minicampaign. Jasta B just started with a few pilots (Boelke, Böhme and Richtoffen are the 3 you should recognise) and they were one of the reasons that the british totaly lost the airsuperiority over Somme.

So starting with their first few missions and then make sveral others, and wrap it up when Somme is over. And of course with the real pilots that got transfered in as replacements when the germans lost some. Or about Lafayettes dogfights.

12 missions based on real dogfights should be perfect. Problem is that there is a few planes that I havn't been able to find in 1/144, particulary Fokker DIII which Jasta B had 3 of and Lafayette met pilots like Udet and Kissenberth flying that plane. The only !/144 DII I seen ever is a resin model for a fortune. Kinda sucks since you had to get 3.

But maybe I do something similar but later instead. I personally prefer late 1916 and early 1917, while Wow mostly focus on 1918. I guess it is a matter of taste.

But any kind of camapign games are always very fun, single games or tournaments are also ok but I really have my group following the games even if someone misses a game, they always want the info about all that happened last time. And the fact that personal victory is as interesting as how the battle went mgives the game a different dimension.

We had 2 games yesterday. On the last game (Jan 1917) were our mission to photograph a british airfield. Unfortunatly did a brit shot down Knoblauchers Albatross early but Baptiste, the french leader got a few good burst from me and decided to land. My pilot Greim (who isn't a gentleman) shot him into peices just when he was putting down the plane. Our Roland did get shot down on the way home so our mission failed, but I still shot down (and at least wounded) Baptiste so I am in a good mood myself after the game. That french bastard shot down my old Ace Von Róth... So a bad day for germany but a good day for me, I just wish I had gotten down that RE8 too, it was ready for the scrapyard after I had a round with it but it still kept going.

So we both track the war and the induvidual pilots. That makes it into a totaly different game (BTW did we totaly rule the first game but lost the second). It is a lot easier to get players when we do like that, if we just play a random game then people don't care as much and show up more randomly. The game is really more fun when you track kills and experience. From today can only Aces tail Greim :D