"Any copy of a ... may only be played once per"

By Mas2, in UFS Rules Q & A

The rules I'm struggling with are:

"Any copy of an Enhance may only be played once per Enhance Phase."

"Any copy of a Response may only be played once per trigger."

I just don't understand the language of it.

Does this mean that if I have TWO IDENTICAL Foundations with a single enhance/reaction, I can only use that enhance/reaction on ONE of the cards?

Does it mean that if I have TWO DIFFERENT Foundation with exactly the same enhance/reaction, I can only use that enhance/reaction on ONE of the cards?

Or does it mean that I can always use both?

My interpretation seems to put me at odds with other players, being that I would think it meant "If you've used that ability on that card, that ability on that card can't be used again" and they take it to mean "If you used 100 Years of Humiliation 's ability, you can't the ability of the other 100 Years of Humiliation s you have in your staging area".

What's the correct meaning of these rules?

If you have 2 of a card out, you can play the relevant ability once per card. So if you have 2 of 'The Man Behind the Mask' out, you can use the E: 2 times to do whatever. Same goes for responses per trigger, you can play them once per card per trigger/enhance phase. That rule is mainly to stop abilities with no cost from being spammed over and over. Also any readying shenanigans :)

"Any copy" "may be played once".

Better example: Let's say you have two copies of Stand-Off, a foundation whose ability doesn't commit itself to be used.

You play one Stand-Off giving your attack +4 damage. Let's say your opponent negates it.

You now have the option of playing the OTHER Stand-Off's ability. Let's say you do that, and your opponent doesn't negate that one, letting you get +4 damage.

Now, both Stand-Offs are still ready in your staging area, but, because each individual copy has been played already, you may not play either of those abilities again. If you really want to you can still use the -4 effect (though you'd never need both the +4 and -4 on the same attack) since that hasn't been played yet from either copy.

Tagrineth said:

Now, both Stand-Offs are still ready in your staging area, but, because each individual copy has been played already, you may not play either of those abilities again. If you really want to you can still use the -4 effect (though you'd never need both the +4 and -4 on the same attack) since that hasn't been played yet from either copy.

That's not true, Hilde could very well use both enhances on an attack.

I guess. heh.

aslum said:

Tagrineth said:

That's not true, Hilde could very well use both enhances on an attack.

About the response. Only, one time, on a trigger of a card, per enhance step? So if you have a card with a response with no costs, you can only play the ability once on a enhance step even if the trigger happens again right?

Malk said:

About the response. Only, one time, on a trigger of a card, per enhance step? So if you have a card with a response with no costs, you can only play the ability once on a enhance step even if the trigger happens again right?

If the response trigger comes up a second time you can reuse it.

you can play the response each time a trigger occurs. For enhances to be played, the trigger (i suppose) is for an attack to be played which leads into the enhance step.