Terrain Cards and the Crypt/Mines

By Topay, in Talisman Rules Questions

I think I know the answer to this, but I figured I'd ask the FFG board (great board, by the way...and great to be here!).

I think the Terrain Cards provided in the Firelands Expansion are intriguing. I know that if one goes on a space, it literally replaces that original space. For example, if Ruins terrain cards were placed on the City and Tavern, then those would become Ruins spaces, and the City and Tavern would cease to exist (except for the specific case where a new character is to start on either the City or the Tavern).

Now, suppose I reach the Crypt or the Mines in the Inner Region. And then, when rolling on the Crypt or Mines, my roll is 6+ short of my Strength/Craft.

Would I "ignore" the instruction to teleport to either the City or the Tavern, thus remaining on the Crypt/Mines and able to continue through the Inner Region? I'd like to think so, but I'm curious to see what others have to say.

Of course, this line of thought would extend to the other "teleport to" destinations on the Crypt/Mines and their corresponding "Dice Roll - Strength Craft" differences.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/suggestions!

Edited by Topay

DomaGB, that's not what Topay asked, you misunderstood the question.

In short of a better answer I'd say yes, you remain on the space.

I'll bring it up with the people I play work and we might houserule it so that you take the next lower result (Plain of Peril will always be there) but that would be nothing more than just that, a houserule.

Edited by Nioreh

Thanks, Nioreh, and I'll be interested to see what your group decides.

In so many other cases, if I'm instructed to teleport somewhere that doesn't exist, I simply don't teleport. It's not really a stretch to say that would also apply on the Crypt/Mines, but it is something that could be exploited.

For example, if the City or Tavern were to be terrained early, one could theoretically just get to the Crypt or Mines, roll three dice that total well above my strength or craft, and keep on going toward the Crown of Command. Of course, it would have to be a "perfect storm" where that player can terrain the City or Tavern, get a Talisman, and then find their way into the Inner Region. Not necessarily likely, but surely not impossible.

That is an interesting question.

If we go by the book, the teleport effect is ignored, and next turn the character can carry on toward the Crown of Command. It can also be houseruled that, although the character is not teleported, he has to obtain a 0 to carry on. If he fails and he is not teleported, he has to either try again or turn back.

Sorry I was thinking the reverse.

Remember this rule though:

Portal of Power Terrained. Must be treated like the Sentinel, pass freely!

I would think one has now diminished the power of the mines by destroying the City or Tavern or what have you. It is a strategy that should be rewarded.

Thanks, Doma.

I do recall the ability to weaken the Sentinel and the Portal of Power. If those can be considered strategic moves, then doing that to the Tavern or City should be able to as well!