Functional Errata for Financial Distress

By AirCody, in UFS General Discussion

I think the card should actually read " F commit: you draw two cards or your opponent discards a card (your opponent's choice)." Ya know, just to give it some perspective =P Please excuse typing errors, I've been drinking gran_risa.gif

If FFG decides the card is actually a problem, this seems like it'd be a fine errata. I know I have been overly vocal in my dislike of this single card, but I truly believe the game is still in better shape then it's been in a long ass time. And the card does have plenty of answers to stop the draw, I just don't like how little risk there is in using it. Algol doesnt mind it though lol.

We should see how the other sets come out before we start asking for erratas. As there are only 3 sets in Block 4, answers should be printed. As we all know the main attacks run will probably be throws due to the ease of pushing damage through. I hope to see answers to throws in teh future.

AirCody said:

Please excuse typing errors, I've been drinking gran_risa.gif

YESS (look for the bison thing)

imma not alonr tonite

I dont see why this card is such a major problem, when you could just look at "the bigger they are..." which is pretty much the same thing, except your opponent cant discard a card to stop it. It checks 1 less but at least has a block, and yet no one complained about it. I cant believe the only reason people were fine with that card is because there were one or two cards, like oral dead, which could stop the form or the draw. Martial Arts champ is back after all, so we have a way to stop financial troubles.

babelfish666 said:

I dont see why this card is such a major problem, when you could just look at "the bigger they are..." which is pretty much the same thing, except your opponent cant discard a card to stop it.

The two cards a part of two different games. In the current format, draw is being balanced, because as this game has proven, draw is extremely important. Financial Troubles is theme-less, unrestricted +2 draw if the opponent does not discard. Of course, discarding increases the risk of them losing, whereas not discarding increases the rate of you drawing into kills. Either way, Financial Troubles doesn't exactly have a downside, and is too easy draw, versus say Queen's Champion.

bloodocean said:

If FFG decides the card is actually a problem, this seems like it'd be a fine errata. I know I have been overly vocal in my dislike of this single card, but I truly believe the game is still in better shape then it's been in a long ass time. And the card does have plenty of answers to stop the draw, I just don't like how little risk there is in using it. Algol doesnt mind it though lol.

Uh... what answers? Martial Arts Champion?

Homme Chapeau said:

bloodocean said:

Uh... what answers? Martial Arts Champion?

Martial Arts Champion
Memories That Stain its Armor
Patriot Games
Laughable
Ancient Fighting Style
Pseudo-Soul Calibur
Pseudo-Soul Edge

There are probably some more.

JDub said:

Martial Arts Champion

Memories That Stain its Armor
Patriot Games
Laughable
Ancient Fighting Style
Pseudo-Soul Calibur
Pseudo-Soul Edge

There are probably some more.

Memories that Stain it's Armor is okay, but that's general and also something that you'd be tempted to use on another foundation (Stand-Off, for example).
Patriot Games isn't readily available unless you know where to get it or are willing to get it. MAC is at least in standard prize support.
Ancient Fighting Style is a nice trick, and since it's a 1/4 it's pretty spammable, allowing you to get back what you lost.
The Pseudos are Algol Only.

Plus, Memories does not negate, it simply destroys. So afterwards you still have to decide on allowing them to draw or not.

I'm still having a hard time figuring out why the community is so up in arms with this card. Yes, it is a good card, but out of 10+ games with it on my field or on my opponent's it hasn't been game breaking by any means... It most cases it just becomes F commit: your opponent discards a card.

With the number of cards that a) have sh1t blocks, or b) don't have blocks, unless a 6hs is playing out 5/6 cards in their hand they still usually have one card to block with and one card to discard to stop financial troubles... (i.e. there isn't a lot of discard on those 3 symbols at the moment, if there were I could see the problem). A 7hs character has an even easier time dealing with it.

Not to mention, a lot of games are decided before this card has a lot a chance to start working it's magic. And, late game, discarding that card means an additional card to draw on your turn during your draw step if/when you survive.

I do understand the ruling complaint though , the wording on the card in relation to the wording on the anti-discard cards that refer to 'your opponent's card effect' is ambiguous and, without intimate knowledge of the 'cost' rulings, means new players will almost certainly have a hard time grasping this concept or of making the right ruling in isolation of the forums.

At the very least I'd petition for it to be added to the omni-faq, namely the way this works and the way stand off/for the money works with a card like torn hero's static.

- dut

dutpotd said:

I do understand the ruling complaint though , the wording on the card in relation to the wording on the anti-discard cards that refer to 'your opponent's card effect' is ambiguous and, without intimate knowledge of the 'cost' rulings, means new players will almost certainly have a hard time grasping this concept or of making the right ruling in isolation of the forums.

At the very least I'd petition for it to be added to the omni-faq, namely the way this works and the way stand off/for the money works with a card like torn hero's static.

You mean the fact that it doesn't.

But honestly, I'd rather this ability be templated to a R Cost : Negate this card's X ability. Only playable by your opponent.

Homme Chapeau said:

You mean the fact that it doesn't.

Yeah, that's what I mean, sorry if I confused anyone. And, I like the templating idea, but really anything is better than nothing.

- dut

I'm fairly certain if it just said "F Commit: Draw two cards." no one would have a problem w/ it. The problem is that people feel obligated to cancel it. And then they feel like the person who played it MADE them discard. Seriously people, this is LESS broken then cards we've already seen. Better nerf Paul's Gi. And Jimmy Kimmil.

Instead of being bitter, taunt your opponent when you discard. "Hah, you're drawing NOTHING!". Or you know. Deal.

aslum said:

I'm fairly certain if it just said "F Commit: Draw two cards." no one would have a problem w/ it. The problem is that people feel obligated to cancel it. And then they feel like the person who played it MADE them discard. Seriously people, this is LESS broken then cards we've already seen. Better nerf Paul's Gi. And Jimmy Kimmil.

Instead of being bitter, taunt your opponent when you discard. "Hah, you're drawing NOTHING!". Or you know. Deal.

thats what i would do......

Does anyone remember when Thunderfoot came out? Yeah it was ok at some points but never broken right? well thats what fthis card is except with one less difficulty...

If it were "F Commit: Draw 2" I would be here demanding a functional errata for Hilde to have no commit cost, and Unstoppable Warrior to give +5 speed as well (if he's unstoppable, how can you block?!), and a million other things. Like reprinting the first run of SNK promos, and SC/SF promo group 3.

Drawing 2 is much stronger than discarding 1... forcing a discard merely marks temporary card disadvantage -- to be made up in the draw step next turn. Drawing 2 makes overextension unfeasible -- unless you have a lot of foundations to tap for control checks, progressive difficulty alone will inhibit you from playing out a 8+ card hand, so you'll always have cards for defense, and that'll stay with you until your next draw step.

I think I've fallen into the "needs clarification" camp rather than "needs a nerf", at this point.

It's been mentioned before, but bears repeating:

45.jpg

Where was the outcry? Or right, there wasn't any, cause there was nothing wrong with the card.

FD is a worse card, in that your opponent has an option to stop you built in (in addition to all the other anti draw out there). Wah wah wah.

Worse card does not need errata.

Locally we thought The Bigger They Are... was pretty dang absurd once you had more than one out and were smaller than your opponent... but that format had a LOT more ways to handle it, too.

I guess noone cares about what i say but ill say it again. Lets wait for a few more sets to come out before we cry errata. We're only 3 sets in and that doesnt make for alot of cards. Im sure we will start seeing more answers to different problems soon.

Hayamachop said:

I guess noone cares about what i say but ill say it again. Lets wait for a few more sets to come out before we cry errata. We're only 3 sets in and that doesnt make for alot of cards. Im sure we will start seeing more answers to different problems soon.

Aw, we care about what you say, Hayama.

/sends platonic love your way

dutpotd said:

Yeah, that's what I mean, sorry if I confused anyone. And, I like the templating idea, but really anything is better than nothing.

Stand Off and abilities like that have caused nothing but grief over here. That ability idea wasn't mine but Target X's, by the by. I think it works fantastic.

Da_ghetto_gamer said:

aslum said:

thats what i would do......

Does anyone remember when Thunderfoot came out? Yeah it was ok at some points but never broken right? well thats what fthis card is except with one less difficulty...

...*er hem*

Thunderfoot was a 3/4 no block with two symbols NOTORIOUS for their discard (Death and Void). Simply put, Death and Void did not NEED Thunderfoot, making Thunderfoot's existence obsolete due to its uselessness in the environment.

Versus Financial Troubles which I believe is a 2/4 AND can draw you 2 cards.

F Commit: Draw 2 cards IS broken. How? Because it eliminates a pivotal part of gameplay: having a f--king handsize. Relentless at least requires 2 weapon cards. Jimmy Kimmel requires an attack deal damage. If Financial were an even more powerful The Bigger They Are, I guarantee it wouldn't take long for it to either see ban, or the following errata: your combat phase ends.

Now, since it DOESN'T just say Draw 2 cards, we can somewhat jump past that.

As has been mentioned, the card isn't Thunderfoot, and it isn't The Bigger They Are: it's a combination of the two, MEANING THAT IT IS BETTER THAN THEM BOTH, AND IN THE CURRENT FORMAT, THAT SAYS A LOT!

Also, since the discard part is similar to committing Torn Hero against Stand Off, anti-discard does nothing against it, thus making the discard a giant threat, and the draw a potential (and generally giant) threat.

It has no real cost. F Commit isn't a cost, because even in a stun-infested environment, F Commit just means, "I'm only down this turn." It doesn't require a reliable commodity (foundations, discard, top of deck discard/RFG, destruction) or a rare commodity (momentum, vitality), it just turns sideways, meaning it can be used repeatedly, almost with a "no-brainer" attitude at virtually no drawback to the user.

Get rid of the card, and don't bring up MAC; there's hardly enough draw to even throw it into the sideboard.

MarcoPulleaux said:

don't bring up MAC; there's hardly enough draw to even throw it into the sideboard.

You keep telling everyone that.

MarcoPulleaux said:

Get rid of the card, and don't bring up MAC; there's hardly enough draw to even throw it into the sideboard.

At least 3 cards from Astrid
Financial Distress
Hilde's Asset
Controller Of Souls
Algol
Body Of Souls
At least 3 other cards from him
At least 2 cards from Cervantes

Not enough draw? just remember its not just draw it includes adding to ur hand

Antigoth said:

MarcoPulleaux said:

don't bring up MAC; there's hardly enough draw to even throw it into the sideboard.

You keep telling everyone that.

its a trap!