Combat Bike Regiments

By SwimmingEagle, in Only War House Rules

Because who wants something with a mind of its own bobbing up and down between their legs?...

Both these Regiments use this particualr stat block for the bike
(Essentially an exact copy of the Viriban Combat bike in Old Soldiers Save for the mounted weapon.)

MK III Light Combat Bike
Type: Wheeled Vehicle Tactical Speed: 20m
Cruising Speed: 80kph Manoeuvrability: +11
Structural Integrity: 15 Size: Hulking
Armour: Front 16, Side 16, Rear 16
Vehicle Traits: Bike, Open-Topped, Reliable.
Carry Capacity : None.
Crew: 1 Rider.

Weapons: Twin Linked Bolters (Fixed Front facing 100m S/3/– 1d10+5 X 4 24 Full Tearing) Or
Grenade Launcher (fixed front facing 60m S/–/– [as grenade] [as grenade] 6 2 Full [as grenade])

Anyways, I came up with two quick edits of two existing Regiment to fit with Combat bikes.

Rapid Reconnassance Regiment Edit.
Cost: 8
Characteristics: +3 Agility, –3 Toughness
Starting Skills: Operate (Surface), Tech-Use
Starting Talents: Combat Sense or Accelerated Repairs
Standard Regimental Kit: One MK III Light Combat Bike
and one set of Magnoculars per Player Character.
At Gm's descrestion, Two players may give up their bikes for a MK IV Assault Combat Bike.

Or

Mechanized Cavalry

Cost : 5
Characteristics: +3 Agility, -3 Toughness
Starting Skills: Operate (Surface)
Starting Talents: Catfall

Standard Regimental Kit: 1 hunting lance (Main Weapon) per Player Character,

1 laspistol and four charge packs per Player Character,

1 flak jacket and flak helmet per Player Character,
One MK III Light Combat Bike
per Player Character.

Edited by SwimmingEagle

I'd say Heavy weapons on the front of a bike is a little ridiculous. Maybe twin-linked bolters or autoguns or something?

I'd say Heavy weapons on the front of a bike is a little ridiculous. Maybe twin-linked bolters or autoguns or something?

Did a little research and yeah your probably right. The closest analouge i can find for combat bikes are Spess Mahreen bikes. Twin-Linked Bolters on the front it is. However astartes combat bikes also had the option to mount a single grenade launcher in place of twin-linked bolters

So i Edited the entry to reflect that

This also revealed to me A combat bike variant with a side car for heavy weapons. Which i shall stat now.

MK IV Assault Combat Bike

Type: Wheeled Vehicle Tactical Speed: 20m

Cruising Speed: 80kph Manoeuvrability: +11

Structural Integrity: 15 Size: Hulking

Armour: Front 16, Side 16, Rear 16

Vehicle Traits: Bike, Open-Topped, Reliable.

Carry Capacity : None.

Crew: 1 Rider, 1 Gunner

Weapons: Twin Linked Bolters (Fixed Front facing 100m S/3/– 1d10+5 X 4 24 Full Tearing) Or

Grenade Launcher (fixed front facing 60m S/–/– [as grenade] [as grenade] 6 2 Full [as grenade])

Sidecar Heavy Weapon

Heavy Bolter (Left Sponson; 150m; –/–/6; 1D10+8 X; Pen 5; Clip 60; Reload Full; Tearing) Or

Multi-laser (Left Sponson; 150m; –/–/5; 2d10+10 E; Pen 2; Clip 100; Reload 2 Full; Reliable) Or

Multi-Melta (Left Sponson; 60m; S/–/–; 2d10+16 E; Pen 12; Clip 24; Reload Full; Blast (1), Melta)

Edited by SwimmingEagle

Okay. Awesome. Someone please GM a regiment with these bikes so that I can play? XD

I can't articulate how much I wish GW had done this in the Codex for IG/AsMil. I do very much like the idea, and think these could work nicely.

In regards to the MK IV Assault Combat Bike.

I'm wondering about the firing arc. A sponson mounted weapon has a 180 degree firing arc. I think that's a bit much as it allow the gunner to fire behind the bike. I always figured that Combat Biking should be something akin to "Machine Gun Jousing"

As such, For the Sidecar Heavy Weapon, I'd rule that the weapon's firing arc be restricted to 90 degrees.

I think this gave me the idea of having traverse specifications for sponsons. Full traverse is 180 degrees, half traverse is 90 degrees, and limited traverse is as per a hull mounted weapon. All of which have the start of their arc towards the front of the vehicle.

I'll definitely include this for the rule system I have in mind.

Sample Regiment using these rules.

42nd Necromundan "Hot Wheelers"
Hive World 3, Choleric 2, Rapid Recon (bikes) 8, Survivalists 4 (Urban), hardened fighters 2, The few -5, Dishonored -3.
Total Points Spent

One MK III Light Combat Bike (Or two share a MK IV Assault Combat Bike )
Microbead ('8)
Hunting Lance (10)
Good quality Sword (5+5)
2x Knives (2+2)
Mono Knife
Magnoculars
Standard kit
Favored Weapons: Meltagun, Lascannon

Edited by SwimmingEagle

What happens to comrades if a player has to take a one-seater bike then, or two players in the bike with sidecar?

What happens to comrades if a player has to take a one-seater bike then, or two players in the bike with sidecar?

I would rule that all comrades are issued the MK III Light Combat Bike. Regardless of what the players get.

So normally Two Players equates to four bikes.

If two players get the Assault bike, Then thats a total of 3 bikes. One Assault and Two Light Combat.

As a GM i'd apply Cohesion and select Comrade actions if you stay "In formation" while everyone is on the bikes. I'd also rule that if you want to swap riders with comrade/player/ect, Then that's okay. This is just what everyone is officially assigned and is responsible for.

Edited by SwimmingEagle