Psyker Question

By blackat, in Dark Heresy

Greetings,

A question came up in our group about Psyker powers and when they roll nines dueing their test.

Namly does their power continue to work, or does the mishap of rolling a nine prevent the power from working all-together?

Or does the power still go off and the psyker has something strange happen to them?

Blackat

Page 161, DHRB: "Note : It is possible to successfully manifest a power and still cause Psychic Phenomena or Perils of the Warp."

That's part of the fun. You can get the big slap down from the warp at them same time you pull off a masterful use of your power. Unless the description of the effect states the power fails. It will work if you hit your target number.

Demo said:

Page 161, DHRB: "Note : It is possible to successfully manifest a power and still cause Psychic Phenomena or Perils of the Warp."

Exactly. This is why you should consider Psychic Phenomena a minor annoyance at most, and use your psychic powers with your maximum number of power dice whenever you feel like it. Remember, you can use a psychic power once a round, so if you're not manifesting, you're not playing your character effectively!

And don't worry about Perils. If you become a daemonhost, you get extra powers for free!

Sure, and think of all the XP your buddies will gain for killing you if they manage to avoid having their souls eaten.

I can just picture the poor, gibbering wreck of a GM who has to deal with this sort of thing.

Yep the power still works.

One of the psykers in my group smashed every window for 5 metres and caused all reflective surfaces for 50 m to ripple...

But he still managed to give himself the same Fear Rating as a Greater Deamon.....

Yeah that hasn't caused trouble at all!

The real arguments started when the Psyker in question was using his power roast a group of Mutants, and got the phenomina that states everything in X meters has a sudden reversal in gravity. By the rules the power still goes off, but I would think suddenly falling upwards a number of meters and landing on the cieling would cause an issue with targeting and concentration, or does the power go off and then the psyker and everyone else near him go sailing.

BlacKat

blackat said:

The real arguments started when the Psyker in question was using his power roast a group of Mutants, and got the phenomina that states everything in X meters has a sudden reversal in gravity. By the rules the power still goes off, but I would think suddenly falling upwards a number of meters and landing on the cieling would cause an issue with targeting and concentration, or does the power go off and then the psyker and everyone else near him go sailing.

BlacKat

My memory fails me is there a 'ceiling height' of this particular peril?

My morbid sense of perversity just realised what the effects 'outside' might be. partido_risa.gif

RichH said:

blackat said:

BlacKat

My memory fails me is there a 'ceiling height' of this particular peril?

My morbid sense of perversity just realised what the effects 'outside' might be. partido_risa.gif

There is a 'ceiling height' of sorts, but it depends on which result we're talking about here. There are actually two results that reverse gravity, the first one (Falling Upwards, 57-59 on the Psychic Phenomena table) has a ceiling of 10 meters. The second can be found on the Perils of the Warp table (87-90, The Surly Bonds of Earth) and is a bit more dangerous as anyone within the radius can find himself 30 meters up in the air when gravity goes back to normal...ouch.