Online Game

By Enoch2, in Dark Heresy

Hay

I'm looking for an online game of dh that wouldn't mind having a new player. I have been looking around my area for a while and there is nothing going on. I'm open to playing any Career that is needed.

Hi, I'm in the same situation as the OP and would also like a group to play with. I only know a bit from playing some casual games with friends.

How does an online game work ?

Either you play by post on a forum such as this or via a chat program. IRC is my personal choice for the latter. The former is slow but you have the advantage of being able to post maps, images and have players from different timezones and schedules. The latter is much quicker but lacks some of the qualities that make a tabletop game so good (sharing visual aids, combat grids, being able to hear people talk etc).

I've also heard of people playing over Skype and other voice chat programs, though this is far less common.

What are the most active forums (hopefully asking this isn't against forum rules) and IRC groups out there? I can't find anything doing basic google searches...

My own game is run on an old, fairly insular community I've been part of for a long time. The other game I take part in (via IRC) was started on what's commonly referred to as "the ******* of the internet." I wouldn't recommend looking for a game there, though I lucked out and found some decent people to play with.

Can I ask a stupid question?

.. you can use voice over IRC? I kept seeing people saying they were using IRC and assumed they were typing.

I'm always interested in alternative technologies for my own online game.

thanks.

I actually run an online gaming community. We use a program called
OpenRPG that has chat, maps and dice to run our role playing games. Some use it in conjunction with skype as well while others type everything out and save logs of the games. Ther are also a couple play by post games on our boards. I am in one Dark Heresy game but its not recruiting. If you have a DM there are plent of good modules out there to be run and it could be done online fairly well.

OpenRPG Install File (its free): http://www.assembla.com/spaces/openrpg/documents

Online Community Forums: http://z9.invisionfree.com/Mayhem_Gaming/index.php?act=idx

My group uses OpenRPG as well. (In conjunction with Ventrillo.)

Cool, which server are you running it on. I'd love to join forces and get more Dark Heresy going online for all. Im currently working on learning to run DH games and plan on doing some one shots with modules soon to get myself started. i don't have a good time table for when that might happen yet though.

aethel said:

Can I ask a stupid question?

.. you can use voice over IRC? I kept seeing people saying they were using IRC and assumed they were typing.

I'm always interested in alternative technologies for my own online game.

thanks.

IRC is text only. If there's a voice chat function in there it's evaded me for years.

MINI said:

Cool, which server are you running it on. I'd love to join forces and get more Dark Heresy going online for all. Im currently working on learning to run DH games and plan on doing some one shots with modules soon to get myself started. i don't have a good time table for when that might happen yet though.

We run on Blackstar. Though we just use the software for maps and dice rolling. Character sheets are in Excel. There always seem to be more people who'd like to play online than GM's running, so if there's anything I can do to help you meet some more of that demand, just let me know. (I don't think you can PM through these forums yet, but my email is on the website in my signature.)