First Play

By WaterlooJacob, in Age of Conan

I’ve owned Conan for a while, but I played my first game of it this weekend, and what a game! It has a simple elegance to it, yet tons of strategy and complexity to play with. My brother, my opponent, hates games, but for some reason, he loved this one. He felt that it was simpler than Risk and asked to play multiple times. This isn’t normal from him so I want to give a “great job” shout out to all those that helped make this game hit the market. Finally, I have to get a digital camera, but the playing pieces paint up fantastically!

how many players, and how long did u play this/those game(s)??

2 Players for both games. The recommended sides of Aquilonia vs. Turan are very balanced. Game 1, roughly 3 hours, but we were fumbling through the rule book while we played. Game 2, about 90 minutes.

In both games, Aquilonia won and we switched sides between the games. The first time Aquilonia won by a land slide and the second game it was a tie that came down to counting quest tokens to determine the victor. It was a very fun game and once we got a hang of the rules, very fast paced.

Deatheux said:

how many players, and how long did u play this/those game(s)??

nice! i often play at 3 players, but the 4th player is soon to be, on next game!!!

That is great. What is it like with 3 players. Are the other two kingdoms equally matched to the ones they recommend you play for a two player game?

Deatheux said:

nice! i often play at 3 players, but the 4th player is soon to be, on next game!!!

3 players opens up Stygia. If left alone to romp around in the South he can win while Aquilonia and Turan bleed themselves dry. It really changes game play as you don't want to expose unprotected flanks to a hostile Kingdom by extending your borders too swiftly.

Notice most of the Campaign objectives concern Central Hyboria so its easy to not worry about the Sons of Set until it's too late. It gets even more fun with Hyperboria thrown into the mix!