Any tactics/talents/spells/etc to reduce miscasts?

By Nerhesi, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Something that has you either re-rolling or ignoring the chaos stars? I realise that the dangers of spell casting have always been key to Warhammer, but it has always also been glaring imbalance (in my opinion).

Considering the possibility for Purple die to stack real high, and the difficulty of getting rid of corruption should you get it from miscasting, Im looking for manageable ways around that...

In general there are ways to reduce the risk of dangerous misscasts.

1. Never Quick Cast spells - Quick casting adds a purple die.
  2. Choose spells with chaos star results on the card - the Chaos star result on the action card is allways triggered before any misscast cards are drawn. Then at least you know what kind of bad stuff you'll get if you roll a chaos star.
  3. Cast easy spells with few challenge dice.
  4. Only cast spells when you have to. So improve skills other than the magical skills, get some action cards that are not spells.
  5. The Gambler career allows you to re roll any check once per session, could be good to pick up.

So if you want to play it "safe" with a wizard character you should plan so you do not get a lot of purple dice in your pools.

Not certain if there are any talents that allow rerolls of purple dice, other than the gambler career card. And I don't think there are any cards that allow you to ignore chaos stards.

However, a lot ofthe misscast cards are not that catastrophic, some even add positive effects (such as gaining power). So you won't get corruption each time you get a misscast.

And the misscasts with really nasty effects often require a roll with several chaos stars to be triggered.

I have been a GM for years, and I love it when my Wizard players misscast, but mainly because the misscast often add something fun to the game. Such as switching places with anoter character, an item of clothing changing colour, a temporary insanity for a few rounds, a short demonic possesion etc.

So my players have never felt like misscasts are imbalanced. The spells provide a lot of options that no other characters has access to, like flying, shapechanging, becoming invisible, manipulating dice pools, teleporting etc. The misscasts are the balancing factor, otherwise wizards would be rather overpowered in my opinion.

Hmmm - thanks :) Not exactly what I was looking for 4 out of the 5 options you have aren't really mitigation but avoidance - dont cast! The 5th is interesting, especially for a human as they may transitions in a slightly easier fashion. I think we're just used to mages/wizards actually casting not avoiding casts - which was always a problem with the WFRP magic framework.

I was hoping there was a talent or ability or something that reduced miscasts. Thanks :)

My advice is to embrace the chaos. In old Warhammer Editions and the 40K games, magic gets balanced by the risk of having a CATASTROPHIC failure. This ends up being a terrible way to balance things, because the magic ends up getting way too powerful and the failure results risk causing the entire party to be killed (which is a lot more fun to read or play in a one-shot than for a longer campaign). As said above, the miscast effects in this game are all fairly minor, and won't cause too much trouble. Magic tends to get really powerful with later spells, so its important to balance that out with the extra difficulty dice and chance of miscasts. The game is designed to where you're having chaos stars occur in 1/8 or MORE of every roll and they can't be cancelled out no matter how powerful the character is. This is how you add challenge and chaos to really powerful PCs, because there's always the chance that something could go wrong. Keep in mind that this is a CHAOS star and that the result should bring that chaos into the game; it doesn't even have to be something that is narratively caused by the PC and could just be something bad happening elsewhere.

So yeah, basically, the game does not give you many ways to avoid chaos stars because they're meant to be an inherent balancing mechanism for the game.