Star Ship quriks

By ECLIPSE1970, in Rogue Trader

You all knew this question would come up. Could anyone who has the rule book give me a sneak peak on some of the star ship quirks? I am not asking for the whole list but a few like four and how many are in the book. Thanks!

I should re-phrase the question to Complications and Past Histories.

There are 10 of each, for use with a d10 randomizer. Some example Machine Spirit Oddities are Martial Hubris (+5 to hit, but -15 to leave combat), and Ancient and Wise (-4 Hull Integrity but +10 to Manuever). The most important Past Histories, as far as actual construction of the ship goes, are resutls 1--Reliquary of Mars, and 10-Xenophilious. Each allows you to start with a single special component--Archaeotech and Xeno-tech respectively.

RocketPropelledGrenade said:

There are 10 of each, for use with a d10 randomizer. Some example Machine Spirit Oddities are Martial Hubris (+5 to hit, but -15 to leave combat), and Ancient and Wise (-4 Hull Integrity but +10 to Manuever). The most important Past Histories, as far as actual construction of the ship goes, are resutls 1--Reliquary of Mars, and 10-Xenophilious. Each allows you to start with a single special component--Archaeotech and Xeno-tech respectively.

Cool, presumably there's a downside to those considerable boons.

Psion said:

RocketPropelledGrenade said:

Cool, presumably there's a downside to those considerable boons.

You mean aside from the obvious? Archeo- and Xeno-tech is asking for trouble from several different groups. Ordo Xenos, Machine Cult, specific Alien race. Unless the tech is easily disguised, anyone not of the crew seeing it could be a vector of very bad things coming to take it away.

phantomoftruth said:

You mean aside from the obvious? Archeo- and Xeno-tech is asking for trouble from several different groups. Ordo Xenos, Machine Cult, specific Alien race. Unless the tech is easily disguised, anyone not of the crew seeing it could be a vector of very bad things coming to take it away.

Yes, aside from the obvious. I mean are there compatibility issues the PCs have to worry about? Obviously there are going to be problems if a RT shows up into port with that technology blatantly strapped to his hull. But are there any other weird glitchy things a Rogue Trader will have to worry about?

Psion said:

phantomoftruth said:

Yes, aside from the obvious. I mean are there compatibility issues the PCs have to worry about? Obviously there are going to be problems if a RT shows up into port with that technology blatantly strapped to his hull. But are there any other weird glitchy things a Rogue Trader will have to worry about?

[/quote}

The nature of the tech is its own negative, Acheo/Xenotech is a catch-all for all sorts of things. Webway Circuit, sensor array, weapon system, drive system, anything. If the rules are not listing a negative modifier it's likely because they are leaving it to the GM to tailor a negative based on the tech that the ship was given. Some very minor tech many have a repair/maintenance modifier of -2(or similar), while a significant or mandatory system may be seeing a -10(or similar). To codify a negative to such drastically dissimilar systems immediately breaks a necessary balance point that the other histories and such do have. If Archeo/Xenotech were given a default -10/15 then no one is going to make that a common/necessary item for the ship, the converse also applies. To say that A/Xtech has no negative/downside/quirk is to deny the players all the story that would surround having such tech.

i suspect we are coming to the same end from different paths and not actually arguing over numbers themselves.

Psion said:

phantomoftruth said:

The ship is harder to repair, especially with lack of appropriate Forbidden Lore. Forgot to mention that. I'd be much more worried about the attention those components would draw though. Especially since an example Archaeotech Component, the Auto-Stabilized Logis-Targeter, is described as using "near heretical cogitator circuitry." If I'm not mistaken, that means the guns of your ship are on the verge of becoming an Abominable Intelligence or something equally freaky,

Ahh well "near" heretical does not worry me. :)

I would love to get a look at the section where it describes what you are allowed to have/use though.

Back in BFG days RT could have Xeno ships in their fleet, as well as various xeno upgrades. Since xeno upgrades are included in the ship roll-up table I must assume you are allowed to have them.

Rogue Traders have special rights and priviledges when it comes to the use of xenotech and there is nothing inherently illegal about archeotech . . . but that's just legal technicalities. The Mechanicus will still want to get their mechadendrites on any archeotech and they're both powerful and ruthless. An Inquisitor might believe your xenotech is over the line. An enemy may simply use them as an excuse to cause you problems. The Navy often dislikes Rogue Traders and might screw with you just because it can. And some archeotech and xenotech is over the line and **** dangerous. Who wants more Haarlocks.

So yeah, Rogue Traders can use xeno and archeotech (depending on their charter). That doesn't mean such devices are free of headaches and complications.