Tzeentch upgrades..good or bad?

By kommissar_kai, in Chaos in the Old World

so in comparison to other gods, tzeentch has some, in my opinion, weaker upgrades, do you feel thats a balancing point for the fact he draws so many chaos cards per turn? meaning hes alittle "stronger" to start out, but his upgrades dont really improve things much.

i'm also of two minds with the tzeentch greater deamon, as its very.. squishy..

opinions?

Let's see

• Power of Magic - is the same as all the other Gods
  • Deluge of Magic - On par with Khorne's giving him an additional card

So abou the same as everyone. His unit upgrades are what make him distinct.

• Lord of Change - Makes his big boy a walking Dial advancement generator. You just need to get him with 2 Cultists or get 2 Cultists in his area to guarantee a dial advancement each turn. Seems to be a pretty poerful upgrade and probably one of my favorites for him.
  • Horrors - Not much here except it reserves a card spot for you. Everyone thinks that Tzeentch's ability to draw 5 cards is so great. However, it is only to draw up to 5 which means if you aren't playing lots of cards, you really aren't drawing lots of cards. So this ability can reserve you some spaces (up to 3) while you try to get other cards down. Not only is this going to allow you the chance to get cards down, it can let you react better to what the otehrs are doing in case you need to protect your followers, or transport them to somewhere more useful, or get that 2nd Magic symbol down to gain another dial advancement. i think this ability is probably underestimated.
  • Acolytes - Probably the weakest upgrade. But it still helps you gain that Dikal advancement. Moving Warpstones isn't something that happens that frequently so being able to do so basically at will gives Tzeentch greater flexibility. I would use this ability to take Warpstones out of ruined regions that can no longer generate anything for you; to redistribute the warpstones if you get more than 2 in a region so you can again get more dial counters; and to move warpstones to a safer location (say along with teleportation) that won't be as susceptible to attack from others.

So I think Tzeentch is a bit more subtle in his approach. But I think his upgrades are good for him and help him win with his personality.

ColtsFan76 said:

• Lord of Change - Makes his big boy a walking Dial advancement generator. You just need to get him with 2 Cultists or get 2 Cultists in his area to guarantee a dial advancement each turn. Seems to be a pretty poerful upgrade and probably one of my favorites for him.

This is pretty easy if he saves his teleport spells

ColtsFan76 said:

So I think Tzeentch is a bit more subtle in his approach. But I think his upgrades are good for him and help him win with his personality.
  • Acolytes - Probably the weakest upgrade. But it still helps you gain that Dikal advancement. Moving Warpstones isn't something that happens that frequently so being able to do so basically at will gives Tzeentch greater flexibility. I would use this ability to take Warpstones out of ruined regions that can no longer generate anything for you; to redistribute the warpstones if you get more than 2 in a region so you can again get more dial counters; and to move warpstones to a safer location (say along with teleportation) that won't be as susceptible to attack from others.

THis one is rather popular in the groups I play in. Essentially it allows Tzeentch to run around and get his dial advancements in places that surprise everyone. A power drain or two to delay needing to move and suddenly the warpstone and the Tzeentchites run to a safer board ares.

Yeah, the Acolyte ability is really nasty. Especially since in most Summoning Phases Tzeentch is usually the last got to run out of power points thanks to a plethora of 0 cost ability cards. So he normally gets to bide his time to see what everyone else does then use his tricky abilities to just move all over to drop down a sudden dial condition.