Problem with understanding of starting plot cards for Sauron

By MonkishBuddha, in Middle-earth Quest

Hello all!

I don't understand the wording of the starting plot cards for Sauron.

It says (for example): "Place 3 influence in each Shadow Stronghold (that's clear) and (here starts the problem) 3 in extension of Strongholds"

1. Does it mean that you place 3 influence at a time in each extension (three for each Shadow Stronghold, which means 9 all together), or

2. Does it mean that you place 3 influence all in all, all of them alloted in one extension of each Shadow Stronghold = 1 influence in the first extension, 1 in the next one, and so on ?

My problem is the singular "extension"...

Moreover, am I free to choose the extension I place the influence in? For example, in Dol Guldur and Mount Gundabad I have several options to choose from.

Thanks for your help!

monkish

monkishbuddha said:

Hello all!

I don't understand the wording of the starting plot cards for Sauron.

It says (for example): "Place 3 influence in each Shadow Stronghold (that's clear) and (here starts the problem) 3 in extension of Strongholds"

1. Does it mean that you place 3 influence at a time in each extension (three for each Shadow Stronghold, which means 9 all together), or

2. Does it mean that you place 3 influence all in all, all of them alloted in one extension of each Shadow Stronghold = 1 influence in the first extension, 1 in the next one, and so on ?

My problem is the singular "extension"...

Moreover, am I free to choose the extension I place the influence in? For example, in Dol Guldur and Mount Gundabad I have several options to choose from.

There is another starting Plot that has you place 9 in extension (I think), so I believe the number is the total number of influence (getting to place 9 in extension for 3 Shadowholds is just...). There is no restriction to the placement of that influnce, beyond the normal, it has to be in extension and no Havens.

Thank you Dam,

so you think that it's 3 alltogether?

Then: Can I omit one Shadow Stronghold and instead of placing one in extension of each one of the three Strongholds, let's say, 1 in extension of Barad Dur, and 2 in extension of Dol Guldur (1 in Lothlorien and the other 1 in Fangorn)?

May be that I think to complicated, but I cannot see where the rules are clear in this case... :-)

I think you can place then in extension of 1 Shadowhold if you want. As long as each location you put influence in can trace back to some Shadowhold, it's legit.

If you compare the 3 starting Plots, you can see that the total amount of influence is pretty even. One is 2 each Shadowhold, 7 in extension and 1 in Shadow Pool (total 14), another is 3x3, 3 in extension and 2 in Pool (14), last one is 2x3 and 9 in extension (15 total, but nothing in the Shadow Pool, also less cards drawn).

Sounds reasonable.

Thank you, Dam!

Remember, you can't place influence tokens in Havens (p 16, col 2) so you can't place any in Lothlorien.