Fleet Building and Fighter Limit

By Traveller724, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

The rules say that you can only spend one third of your fleet points, (rounded up) on squadrons (Pg 6 RRG).

So how is one third defined?

(1) One third of the FINAL cost of your fleet....

In a 300 point game, the final cost of my fleet is 291, does that mean that I can only spend 97 points on squadrons? This means that the points you are allowed to spend shifts every time you add or remove a card from your fleet, possibly making fleet building more complex.

or

(2) One third of the points allowed for the game.

So if playing a 300 point game, I can spend 100 points on squadrons, even if the final cost of my fleet is 291. (Perhaps the additional 9 points are considered an initiative bid)

MY OPINION: I think the answer is #2. The rule says "A fleet cannot spend more than one third of ITS FLEET POINTS, rounded up, on squadrons."

I would submit that if you are playing a 300 pt game that the fleet has 300 fleet points regardless of how many actually get spent.

Any opinions or thoughts?

Considering that in the tournament rules destroying all the opponents ships and squadrons counts as having destroyed all 180/300/400 points even though he may have used fewer points I strongly agree with you.

That said, the wording in the rules, if read precisely could be interpreted the other way with good reason.

I'm not sure.

But since not spending the remaining few points gives you initiative means you benefit from the points not spent so I would hazard a guess that it would be 1/3 of the total possible fleet build i.e. 300pts = 100pts maximum on squadrons.

Eagerly awaiting the correct reading.

My gut feel is #1, even though its a more complex fleet building scheme.

Reasoning (shaky and inconclusive) :

Each player builds a fleet by choosing ships, squadrons, and upgrade cards whose total fleet point cost does not exceed the total agreed upon by the players.

Players may build fleets of any fleet point total as long as they both agree on the total.

A fleet cannot spend more than one third of its fleet points, rounded up, on squadrons.

I feel like your fleet points are the points you've spent on ships, card etc, which is different than the fleet point total, which is the maximum fleet points you can spend. So your 1/3 comes from what you've actually spent, rather than the "fleet point total".

On the other hand "fleet points" vs "fleet point total" is arguably splitting hairs.

Interpretation #2 is without a doubt simpler.

Clearly someone should submit this to FFG so that it gets included in their FAQ.

The RRG says 1/3 of your Fleet Points. So in a 300 fleet point game up to 100 points even if you're using less than 200 of the remaining points for your ships.

If it shifted with what you actually spent there would be much more explanation or an example or what have you for how it shifted.

A third of the total allowed is much simpler. It is also why I expect the recommend Fleet Points are 180 and 300. Nice and easy math to get a 1/3 of those numbers.

Edited by Frimmel

It's 1/3 of the total fleet points. I think its in the tourney rules where it specifically states you can spend up to 60 points in a 180 point game.

The paragraph below is from the Fleet Building section of the Tournament rules. Thanks Ghost Dancer and Frimmel.

I believe this indicates FFGs intent. I think this supports #2 as the answer, because to argue in favor of #1 based on the info below would be a real stretch. As someone said above, if the answer were #1, FFG would need more examples to clarify how the system worked. It would be more complex and messy if the answer were #1 and thats not usually what they go for.

"A fleet consists of ships and squadrons with their corresponding ship and

squadron cards, command dials, objective cards, a commander, and any

other upgrade cards. Each players fleet cannot exceed 180 points, though

it may contain fewer than 180 points. A players fleet cannot contain

more than 60 points worth of squadrons. A fleet must include a single

commander and one objective card from each category."

Thanks for the discussion everyone. I believe I have my answer now.

I would hope it's 1/3 of the target fleet points, not the actual. But I don't know the intent. If it's the actual, then it gets super complicated as you effect how many squads you're aloud to have as you're adding squads. If it was done like that, I would think they'd rephrase it to something like: "Squadron point total must not exceed half the total point value of your ship and ship upgrades while remaining below the target fleet point total."

Edited by InvisibleCalm

Its option 2, as your fleet points is what ever you decided your max point total should be. So in the case of a wave 1 tournament, a 1/3 of 300 is 100.

The problem I see arising is when wave 2 comes out, as the tournament point limit is 400 (1x ISD 2x VSD anybody :D ), which means your squadron point cap is 133 1/3'd pts, are we going to round up or down????

I know its slightly awkward but for those who remember 40k 3rd ed you had to deal with percentages all the time for force building.

G

Its option 2, as your fleet points is what ever you decided your max point total should be. So in the case of a wave 1 tournament, a 1/3 of 300 is 100.

The problem I see arising is when wave 2 comes out, as the tournament point limit is 400 (1x ISD 2x VSD anybody :D ), which means your squadron point cap is 133 1/3'd pts, are we going to round up or down????

I know its slightly awkward but for those who remember 40k 3rd ed you had to deal with percentages all the time for force building.

G

Since the rule says "round up" I guess we'll go with round up.

But that's just a hunch.

Yep it says you round up (I'm pretty sure all rounding in this game is up). That extra point will probably be more useful than first might appear - how many times have you been 1 point over?

It will matter, but not as much as you'd think unless you were specifically overloading on fighters. Remember that fighter squadrons in this game are taken as an entire squadron, and right now there are no upgrades to squadrons. So there is nothing that is 1-3 points related to squadrons that will help, and I don't see any squadrons ever costing less than 5 at worst.

And remember, that's just to squadron limit, not the points limit.

You're over or under by a few points pretty often in the game, but that's on the whole fleet, It's easier to find the points with those small upgrades on ships, rather than shuffling around higher cost squadrons.