Breath/blast/bolt and armor

By Crichael, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

The rules for breath/blast/bolt state that they do FULL damage to all targets in the area. I have originally understood this to mean that it does all damage rolled by dice, unmitigated by any armor source. However, after rereading it many times and realizing just how powerful this makes hellhounds, I have reconsidered the meaning of this "full damage". I am thinking it may actually just be there to meant he damage doesn't disipate over its larger area of affect, rather than meaning it's unmitigatable.

So which is it?

Does breath/bolt/blast deal FULL damage to all creatures?

Or does breath/bolt/blast get mitigated by armor?

"Full damage" does not mean what you think it means.

If the rolled damage is seven, each an every target is hit for seven. Then apply Armour.

The full damage thing simply means they all take the same rather than dividing it between them.

Slev is right.

If you roll X damage on an attack, then you basically act like you made one attack on each individual character, and they all happened to roll X damage.

Joram said:

Slev is right.

Then something is deeply wrong with existence. Probably to to with the LHC...

Slev and Joram are correct. I just wanted to point out that Hellhounds also have Pierce 3, so there's a pretty good chance they're getting through your armor anyway, and they really wouldn't be terribly powerful even if they did ignore armor entirely. Blue + Yellow dice only averages about 1.5 damage. Hellhounds are only any good at all when they can hit multiple heroes and entirely pierce their armor; against individual targets they can plausibly be outdamaged by skeletons or bane spiders, which are both supposedly weaker monsters, and against heroes with 4-5 armor they're essentially useless.

I will once again add the qualifier that I have never actually seen the new monster stats from RtL and that this all applies to the base game.

Anybody who thought that Hell Hounds couldn't possibly be worse than they were in the base game would have been proven wrong by Road to Legend. happy.gif