Grim and Dark >> New Perils In The Old World

By ynnen, in WFRP Archived Announcements

A new WFRP Designer Diary has been posted:

New Perils In The Old World
An overview of the new Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay core set and setting

In this designer diary, I discuss the current setting, provide additional information on the four books included in the core set, and spoil a few of the careers included.

Rest assured, this is just the first of many designer diaries being written, each offering a different look at Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.

Thanks Jay. Well perhaps macd21 has been right in telling me that I may be worrying over nothing when it comes to the tone. The impression I get from that diary entry is definitely more of a salt of the earth "hero" style, commoners being yoked with responsibilities that they didn't necessarily ask for. It was nice to see that list of careers as well. Though there's still much to be seen, the one misgiving I've been having about the tone was put a bit at ease after that entry.

I am glad to find out about the setting, playing during the Storm of Chaos, should be fun, particularly if the characters end up in Middenheim, against Archaeon. The latter would make foer one hell of an adventure, even if we know the result. However what I and I am sure others would like answered is the question of the low starting number of careers. How many careers in proportion to the Career Compendium in V2, does he see V3 having, how will career progression work, and will we have to fork out several hundred dollars, just to get a reasonable number of careers to interest our players?

On the topics of the books, one question that's being asked a lot, and which would be good to get an answer on is whether they are hardback or not?

I will hazard a guess and say not, since it hasn't been mentioned yet that they are. If they were, I'm sure it would have been mentioned in the PR material.

/M

Somewhere it was mentioned, that they are 96-128 pages hardcover books. I just can't find it, where. But tell me, what was the last time you saw a softcover, full-color rpg rulebook?

Realm of the Ice Queen, I believe it was. happy.gif

It's the low page count that makes me speculate that we are looking at softcovers. 96 t0 128 pages isn't a lot of pages, and to add hard covers to four books will increase price ... oh, wait a minute ... gran_risa.gif

/M

I'm pretty sure they're softcover. If they were hardcovers, I would've expected them to mention that.

The four books in the core set are softcover. Making them hardcover would have both increased the price and the physical dimensions enough to require a slightly larger box -- which would have also increased the price.

ynnen said:

The four books in the core set are softcover. Making them hardcover would have both increased the price and the physical dimensions enough to require a slightly larger box -- which would have also increased the price.

Okay, thanks for the answer.

Now there's only one thing left I'd like to know about the "physical manifestation" of the new WFRP. We already know the weight of the box. But how big is the box exactly?

ynnen said:

**** your logic! gui%C3%B1o.gif

ynnen said:

Thanx for the reply, Jay!

/Magnus

Ok, now we know that the books are softcover and I think that they will be in the quality of those seen in Descent. That would be good - nice and high quality of paper, good print, soft but very nice in touch covers. Know we only don't know how many pages will these books have?

How big is the beastiary Ynnen?