Rogue Sandbox

By Cat that Walked by Himself, in Rogue Trader

It seems to me that certain aspects of RT encourage Sandbox play style - especially profit and endeavors system. Am I right?

Sandbox is my preferred mode of play and I am already thinking about some instant scenarios and some traveller-like goodies (like Book of Patrons for RT).

Cat that Walked by Himself said:

It seems to me that certain aspects of RT encourage Sandbox play style - especially profit and endeavors system. Am I right?

Sandbox is my preferred mode of play and I am already thinking about some instant scenarios and some traveller-like goodies (like Book of Patrons for RT).

I assume you're using Sandbox to mean presenting your players with a setting and plot hooks but no overarching story. If that is what you mean, then I would say Rogue Trader definitely allows such play, and even encourages it, yes. I would hesitate on making the "sandbox" too large--the game will suffer without a specific "here be space dragons" area like the Expanse, and a similarly defined "home base" sector (although this is all just my opinion).

It might be tough to launch players straight into the game sandbox-style. Since its a new game, no one is familiar enough with it yet to crank out Endeavors off the bat. I recommend assigning them some duties attached to the Warrant to discharge so they can ease their way in and figure things out.

Yes, Rogue Trader is far more "free" in where players can and cannot go. Dark Heresy had the party limited by the Inquistor; players went where he said they were going. Rogue Trader is somewhat more difficult. After all, while the Inquistor has considerable resources to bear, they have to be used subtly.

On this sandbox theme, can anyone with a copy of RT give an idea as to how much detail is given on the Koronus Expanse setting? Looking at the map, there are a lot of "special" worlds/space stations...is there a write up for each "special" planet?

One would have thought that it would be a neat idea to describe a few of the "special" things in the expanse and leave the rest of it up to GMs to invent. While I'm always keen to see as much background on the Calixis Sector, I kind of think the Koronus Expanse is cooler if we know less about it...

There's maybe 10 or so worlds with any description at all, none of which is very confining to the imagination. And those worlds on the map are just the ones people have discovered (or claim to have discovered). Except something like double the number of worlds in a filled map. At least.