Jay - THE DICE

By DagobahDave, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Steerpike said:

The example that comes to mind at player powers that require monsters or other opponents to move into certain squares. Thus, the mechanic completely overrides the conscious decision making of the monster or NPC. A power like Come and Get It, for example. The NPC or monster has no choice but to move no matter how intelligent, how faithful or fervently it wishes to hold a particular area. It's a board-game mechanic, essentially. So when our group played 4e we simply waived the ability of those types of powers to be used in certain situations. But that's less than desirable, because it takes away from powers granted to the PC so we disregarded it sparingly.

jadrax said:

I think it is worth noting that both prior versions of WFRP have had a mechanic that allows that.

Which mechanic are you referring to? I never played 1e. We play 2e a lot and have never had a problem with it. Most RPGs I have played (maybe all) tread into this territory to one degree or another, but only 4e has done so to the extent that I felt the game was turning into a farce. I'm curious which 2e mechanic you are referring to.

The Manouvere Action in WFRP2.

jadrax said:

The Manouvere Action in WFRP2.

True to an extent. But I don't put it in nearly the same category as some of the powers, marking, and the like you get in 4e. When you get into higher level games in that system the movement of minis around the battlegrid (against the will of the player or GM controlling a given mini) really starts to get ridiculous. Playing a level 15 or so 4e game we were just laughing our asses off because it got THAT inane. But I'm derailing the thread...

...getting back to the OT, I don't think this will necessarily be a problem for WFRPG. The comparisons to 4e are inevitable, but I haven't seen anything to indicate with any certainty that FFG is heading down that path.

I certainly don't mind giving the dice a try. I tend not to like games with dice pools (like Exalted). They're easy enough to use, but something I just don't care for. But I'm willing to see how 3e WFRPG implements it before discounting it.

I suspect, although again I do not KNOW, that it will be a lot more abstract in terms of your position that 4E.