Campaign Diary: Sorceror King Slev attempts to destroy the sun

By Slev, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

As the light form the tavern fire sputtered momentarily, Mok entered the tavern that lay near the south gate. The Orc stomped across the floor and sat at a table. He stared at the assembled adventurers, worries hanging heavily on his face. “Spirits of the old not happy. Them say dark power move in south. We must go or sun die. You help Mok?”

The gaze of Varikas met that of Mok, his cold lifeless eyes sending a chill down the spine of the shaman. “I remember the warmth of the sun on my skin you Mok,” said the old Wight, “it pains me that any should rob those of mortal form it’s gift. I shall go with you.”

Lowering his flagon, Nanok looked next at Mok. Wiping the foam from his stubble, he picked from his belt a small token. “Once in the south, I met a girl. She gave me this trinket that it would light my way. That was before she was killed. I shall light the way for her ever more. I go with you Orc.”

Pushing aside his now empty bowl, Landrec tuned at last towards the Shamen. “I have seen many die from lack of light. Within the realms of darkness all does turn to evil and despair. Truly I cannot sit here and let you strive unaided. I will go with you was well.”

Mok nodded approvingly. He handed each od his companions a shamanic fetish. “Me call you into pact of circle. We go one and we go all. Spirits will guide us. In morning we go east to Starfall Forrest. There be much we use against dark one.”

OK, in a fit of C. Montgomery Burns-esque rage I stared working to destroy the sun today. We didn’t complete week one yet(!), but things seem to be going well thus far.

Our Heroes as they gather in Tamalir:

Spiritspeaker Mok (Treasurer) with Fire Pact, Chainmail, Mage Staff and two Healing Potions.

Landrec the Wise with Inner Fire. Leather Armour, Sunburst Rune and two Healing Potions.

Nanok of the Blade with Enduring, Sword, Morning Star and two Healing Potions.

Varikas the Dead with Mighty, Chainmail, Axe and two Healing Potions.

Yours evily:

Scorceror King with Soul Ward and all three members of the House of Farrow.

Plot: Eternal Night.

Week one, the Heroes head to Starfall Forrest.

Through the soft and firtile ashen ground trod four sets of boots. All of a sudden, thos of Mok ceased their advance, kicking through the undregrowth. “Spirits show other path.” Surely enough, another trail was found amidst the undregrowth, long forgotten. As Mok kicked the underbrush away, his boot caught in an old sack.

The Heroes had the Abandoned Treasure encounter.

His bones groaning with the strain, Varikas forced his axe slowly, irrevocably through Argos ’ neck, severing the magical powers that animated him. Nanok stepped up behind the Wight. “Bone boy has treasure. This sack is empty. It’s bigger inside than out. I like it.”

Amidst the Collapsed Columns dungeon level, the Heroes find the Pack of Holding. They’ve taken several conquest points and quite a bit of gold, I’ve just the one Conquest still, but they are quite battered. They buy Landrec the Blinding Light rune and Mok the Gauntlets of Power from Tamalir. I managed to play both Doom and Evil Genius.

The second Dungeon level was Trial by Fire.

The heroes did well in the first room. The second room saw then slowed by traps on their way to engage the Dragon, allowing me a couple of spawns. I killed the mages and wounded the tanks.

Then came the Demon. I wounded both the mages who dropped back, killed Varikas leaving just Nanok in the fight. A Raged Master Medusa then made short work of the mages. Nanok held his own a while before falling back towards Varikas who carried Healing potions fresh from Tamalir’s Alchemist. Alas, the Dark Charm was upon Varikas, and he turned and slew his comrade, no doubt a result of Nanok having earlier been cursed. The party re-grouped, and approached the Demon again which killed each of the party once more before being felled. The Heroes move on through the portal to the third level.

To be continued...

Current score: Heroes 15, Overlord 23

OK, that didn't post right for some reason, let me try again:

As the light form the tavern fire sputtered momentarily, Mok entered the tavern that lay near the south gate. The Orc stomped across the floor and sat at a table. He stared at the assembled adventurers, worries hanging heavily on his face. “Spirits of the old not happy. Them say dark power move in south. We must go or sun die. You help Mok?”
The gaze of Varikas met that of Mok, his cold lifeless eyes sending a chill down the spine of the shaman. “I remember the warmth of the sun on my skin you Mok,” said the old Wight, “it pains me that any should rob those of mortal form it’s gift. I shall go with you.”
Lowering his flagon, Nanok looked next at Mok. Wiping the foam from his stubble, he picked from his belt a small token. “Once in the south, I met a girl. She gave me this trinket that it would light my way. That was before she was killed. I shall light the way for her ever more. I go with you Orc.”
Pushing aside his now empty bowl, Landrec tuned at last towards the Shamen. “I have seen many die from lack of light. Within the realms of darkness all does turn to evil and despair. Truly I cannot sit here and let you strive unaided. I will go with you was well.”
Mok nodded approvingly. He handed each of his companions a shamanic fetish. “Me call you into pact of circle. We go one and we go all. Spirits will guide us. In morning we go east to Starfall Forrest. There be much we use against dark one.”

OK, in a fit of C. Montgomery Burns-esque rage I stared working to destroy the sun today. We didn’t complete week one yet(!), but things seem to be going well thus far.

Our Heroes as they gather in Tamalir:
Spiritspeaker Mok (Treasurer) with Fire Pact, Chainmail, Mage Staff and two Healing Potions.
Landrec the Wise with Inner Fire. Leather Armour, Sunburst Rune and two Healing Potions.
Nanok of the Blade with Enduring, Sword, Morning Star and two Healing Potions.
Varikas the Dead with Mighty, Chainmail, Axe and two Healing Potions.

Yours evily:

Week one, the Heroes head to Starfall Forrest.

Through the soft and firtile ashen ground trod four sets of boots. All of a sudden, thos of Mok ceased their advance.”, kicking through the undergrowth. “Spirits show other path.” Surely enough, another trail was found amidst the undergrowth, long forgotten. As Mok kicked the underbrush away, his boot caught in an old sack.

The Heroes had the Abandoned Treasure encounter.

His bones groaning with the strain, Varikas forced his axe slowly, irrevocably through Argos’ neck, severing the magical powers that animated him. Nanok stepped up behind the Wight. “Bone boy has treasure. This sack is empty. It’s bigger inside than out. I like it.”

Amidst the Collapsed Columns dungeon level, the Heroes find the Pack of Holding. They’ve taken several conquest points and quite a bit of gold, I’ve just the one Conquest still, but they are quite battered. They buy Landrec the Blinding Light rune and Mok the Gauntlets of Power from Tamalir. I managed to play both Doom and Evil Genius.

The second Dungeon level was Trial by Fire.
The heroes did well in the first room. The second room saw then slowed by traps on their way to engage the Dragon, allowing me a couple of spawns. I killed the mages and wounded the tanks.
Then came the Demon. I wounded both the mages who dropped back, killed Varikas leaving just Nanok in the fight. A Raged Master Medusa then made short work of the mages. Nanok held his own a while before falling back towards Varikas who carried Healing potions fresh from Tamalir’s Alchemist. Alas, the Dark Charm was upon Varikas, and he turned and slew his comrade, no doubt a result of Nanok having earlier been cursed. The party re-grouped, and approached the Demon again which killed each of the party once more before being felled. The Heroes move on through the portal to the third level.

Current score: Heroes 15, Overlord 23

Slev said:

snip

Yours evily:
snip

Just in case...

You are aware that the OL's initial 15XP spend may not include Lieutenants?

RTL rulebook pg8 (bold my emphasis)

6. The overlord player begins the Advanced Campaign with 15 XP to spend on Avatar Upgrades . See “Overlord Upgrades” on page 24. Note that these XP do not affect the overlord’s conquest token total. These XP cannot be saved for later, and any not spent at this time are wasted.

FAQ 1.4 pg8

Q: Exactly what cards and upgrades can the overlord spend his initial 15 XP on? Can he purchase lieutenants?
A: Avatar upgrade cards only. No lieutenants.

Doh!

Well, they've not done anything yet, & the Heroes get compensated for my mistake by having a marginally easier time in the first dungeon.

I'll fix this prior to week one pert 2.