What are some of your favorit horror words?

By Fizgot, in CoC Off Topic

I'm actually running a dark heresy campaign, but the foul horrors of chaos are sometimes quite lovecraftian. So what words are some of your favorite to describe the horrors from beyond?

And maybe... what do they mean?

I kinda like Lothesome as a descriptor but I'm trying to think of a way to describe how wrong the chaos tainted language might sound. And how they might experience their brain boiling away if they try to understand it.

You should read Shoggoth's Old Peculiar, a short story by Neil Gaiman. There's a whole discussion of HP Lovecraft's literary style, it reminded me of your post

well you could go the route of the lovecraft quote i have in my signature. dont describe much of anything. leave them in suspense.

Hmm, I would have to say eldritch or noisome. Non-Euclidean is a good one too, especially for the 40K Demons.

People I know are quite adversive to the words "Moist" and "Taint". demonio.gif

this thread is ghastly, macabre and shockingly repellent . aplauso.gif

"Flopped" sounds quite yucky and unsettling IMO.

I always liked how environments were "basalt" and "cyclopean". Feels tall and unsettling.

Gibbering.

Squamous.

Sklitch.

I'd go for the obligatory 'unfathomable' and 'ululation' :D

What about 'silence'?

It is always there just before havoc is unleashed!...

How about 'blood curdling'? I'm not sure what curdling is exactly, but I know for a fact I don't want my blood to start doing it.

ungulating gooey proboscis comes to mind

Chittering :D