Combat or Peril

By VickieM, in Middle-earth Quest

During a hero's 'Combat or Peril' step, the rules indicate that Sauron 'must resonlve one' of either combat or peril, if there is a monster/minion present or if the lcoation is perilous. If the space is both perilous and there is a monster/minion on the space, can Sauron choose both to have a creature attack and for the hero to draw Peril cards? Or can he only choose one?

Thanks!

One or the other, not both. The two bullet points are "Monster or Minion Attack" and "Peril", and Sauron "must resolve one" (p. 22)

thanks...

I wanted to be sure that 'must resolve one' is interpreted as 'must resolve only one' or 'able to only resolve one.' To me, It seems that if I do both (monster/minion and peril), I am resolving one since I've resolved at least one.

I think otherwise. In my opinion Sauron can resolve both: peril and monster. Why? Because (p22) "must resolve one of the followinf (if able):" means that Sauron can't do nothing in this point - he MUST resolve one from two options but I think that he CAN resolve both options.

Macronx said:

One or the other, not both. The two bullet points are "Monster or Minion Attack" and "Peril", and Sauron "must resolve one" (p. 22)

Macronx is right. In addition to the page 22 reference, check out this from page 10, under "Hero Turn":

"3b Combat or Peril: Sauron chooses whether the hero will fight a monster/minion in his location (if any) or resolve a Peril card (if he is in a perilous location..."

It's either/or, not both.

TK

OK, my mistake :( .