How I learned to stop hating Roxas and win Gencon, Part 1

By barnabys, in Gummi Garage

sort of.

I didn't exactly win the final match, but we'll cover that in part 2 (the tournament report).
Part 2 eh? What is this you speak of? Well I've decided to break this article into 3 parts
Part 1: Building the original Roxas deck
Part 2: The tournament report
Part 3: The Roxas deck done RIGHT
So without further ado, here's the story of the Roxas deck.
Leading into the keybearer tournament I didn't have a deck. Luckily my friend Fairbanks had a ton of cards, so I was going to be able
to make a fairly competitive deck with his scraps. A year had passed since I last looked at Kingdom Hearts cards so a lot was new to
me, specifically the non-Sora non-Riku player cards. It didn't take long to tell that they were mostly garbage, but Roxas intrigued
me. I was promptly informed by Fairbanks that he sucked, though when I pushed he said, fine, we're building the deck. The card
choices are largely his, though I did have final say.
So why did I think Roxas was good? Well lets start by breaking down the card:
Level 1
HP 8
3 Attack
1 magic
Based on stats alone he's strictly worse than level 1 sora. While most of the stats are identical, 1 less attack is somewhat relevant.
So what about this abilities:
Treat this card as a "Mysterious Boy" card.
Fairly bland, a number of cards require "Mysterious Boy" so there may be something there.
At the begining of the game, choose one "Oathkeeper" Equipment Card from yoru deck, equip it to this card, and shuffle your deck.
Now we're getting somewhere. Oathkeeper makes him a 7 attack to start the game AND he actually punishes the opponent for playing dark
cards on your world. The point I heard thrown about was Abu negates this, making Roxas a crappier level 1 Sora. What people don't
seem to consider (and this of course applies to all card games) irrelvant of how much hate there is for a certain card/strategy, it
doesn't matter if no one plays with those cards. Between the 4 people I played in the tournmanet (I played 2 of them twice) no one was
running Abu, or any equipment hate for that matter.
This card can only be equipped with "Oathkeeper" Equipment Cards and "Oblivion" Equipment cards.
This is fine really, between those 2 pieces of equipment he's up to 10 attack and as most other equipment is garbage, he's not hurt by
not running them.
Only Twilight Town Frien Cards and "Samurai" Nobody Cards can be used as Friend Cards with this card.
This is where Roxas takes a huge dive in the eyes of most people. Even if you get over the whole equipment thing, it's hard to get
past the fact that Roxas can only use 1 of the 10 best friends (Samurai, in case you're wondering and as he's only good as a Roxas
friend, it's hard to really put him on the list).
So why Roxas? Well again, if there's no equipment hate, starting with Oathkeeper makes him a powerful world racer. On top of that,
the absurd power of Samurai coupled with his normally high attack power means he should always be able to win at least 1 challenge
against a valor form deck, negating their main advantage. Plus, his friends aren't that bad, sure no one else would run them if they
could, but they have some power.
So now that we know why we're making a Roxas deck, lets get to the list, please keep in mind that this is not an ideal list as it was
made with the scraps of someone's collection. So if you're wondering why something (like ultima weapon) isn't in here, that's why.
Wait till part 3 of this article to berate the card choices:
Player cards:
1x Roxas: See the above explanation.
Equipment cards:
1x Oathkeeper: Obviously an auto-include. Even in a world with equipment hate it's not worth running more than 1, as he cannot
re-attach it.
1x Oblivion: I would say this is an auto-include. Also fairly obviously a 1 of as it's not that great of a card on its own.
World cards:
2x Twilight Town: Not the greatest level 3 world, but being able to get Olette is pretty hott.
3x Olympus Coliseum: A solid world from the Roxas perspective, as he is all about raw attack power, so most of the time he'll be able
to overwhelm whatever the put on thsi world without losing friends.
1x Disney Castle: Arguably the best world. A number of times I wished I had more than 1. So good.
2x Timeless River: Probably my MVP as far as worlds went. In one match I was able to get him to lose the rest of his friends and then
play Timeless River to knock of Sephiroth, who woulda been bad news had he stayed around. Plus I got to keep going "my huckleberry
friend, Timeless riverrrrrr."
2x Monstro: I would argue Monstro is a most. You need it to keep people honest so they don't just drop half their deck into play and
roll you.
Attack cards:
3x Divine Rose: Divine rose is an ok fall back card if you have nothing else available to you. +5 isn't so bad and the chance of +12
is pretty hott.
1x Oblivion: I would tend to say this is an auto-include. Even with a world racer, that random +10 can be great.
Dark cards:
1x Pete: Man, Pete's awesome. I mean really, he can be dropped really early in the game at 12 power, or late game he could be as high
as 22 power. Plus he stops them from playing the best card in the game. Just wonderful.
1x Hades: Picked for the stats alone. 21 is a lot of power.
1x Air Pirate: I don't know, we thought maybe there would be some equipment to hate and 3 vivis wouldn't be enough to stop them? I
feel strongly we didn't think about this.
2x Stealth Sneak: Probably the best dark card in the game. Hits early, often requires escaping.
3x Pot spider (no friend version): Pot spider is solid, the ability rarely came up, but it was nice when it did.
2x Parasite Cage: To be clear, most of these dark cards were chosen because the better dark cards were in Fairbanks' deck. Parasite
cage was I think the last card added to the deck. I will say it was a game breaker in at least 1 case, but over all, m'eh.
Event cards:
1x Kingdom Hearts (I have no idea what it's actually called): I think this card is great, aggro is usually at a disadvantage when
playing against world racer, this helps even that. When I put this in I had visions that someone would unwittingly get down to 1hp and
I would triumphantly slap this down and mock them endlessly. Didn't happen. Still good though.
Friend cards:
2x Fuu: Well, Roxas has almost no card draw, so you really gotta grasp at straws with him, plus the average support value of his
friends is low so the 2 isn't bad.
1x hayner: Almost all of these choices came from the fact that you have very few choices. I think hayner was picked before it became
clear to me that Roxas can't reattach Oathkeeper (Btw, feel free to tell me if that has been errated or ruled on or something, but as
written he clearly cannot reattach oathkeeper).
3x Samurai: Now this card was my MVP, hands down, dropping him and adding 12 to an attack is just sick. I mean if I'm looking at
someone elses blank board, I can assume he won't be dropping sephiroth, but Samurai? Out of nowhere baby.
1x Rai: Probably the 2nd best of the Twilight Town friends, tragically only 1 was available. 5 power is pretty solid.
2x Pence: Pence, like Hayner, was used because we foolishly thought people might run equipment hate and then pence could just bite
the bullet. Wasn't relevant. Again though, 2 power is pretty average for Roxas.
3x Vivi: I honestly could not tell you why Vivi is the only friend we ran 3 of besides Samurai. I mean, if there was magic, or if
people ran equipment. As is, I have no idea why we ran 3.
1x Seifer: If he didn't have the ridiculous entering play restrictions, he'd be decent. Tragically he's terrible, but he was a
Twilight Town friend, so it seemed like a good idea at the time.
2x Olette: So good. She plays to the strength of Roxas, which is just having high raw attack power. With her and 2 other Twilight
Town friends, plus both equipments, he's sitting at 15 attack. Not only can he solo most dark cards, but that's gonna make it tough
for an aggro player to look at and say "yea, I'm gonna challenge."
So that's the deck. With it in hand I strode in the tournament hall, but that'll be coming in part 2.....

I believe Hayner allow you. Usally when something says you can't, but something else says you can, then you are allowed to do it. If Hayner could not let you equip the oathkeeper, he would be useless, and Roxas would also negate himself because at the beginning of the game, you don't even have a Kairi to equip it with. I think I have that close to right. Roxas and Hayner kinda of go past the text of requiring Kairi.

All in all, all I have to say to everyone who knocked Roxas, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

I still need to tech mine a little, but I run mine as a slow wr instead. Good job though. I salute you for playing Roxas.

Kudos to you. You ran Roxas and won. Everyone said he sucked, including me.

Granted, I still think he's weak, which means that you won with a weak deck by taking advantage of the fact that no one expected you to run him. That's some pretty epic mindgaming. It's amazing that any number of people (who are supposedly good at this game) failed to this. Whether you did this on purpose or not: grats. I'm sure they won't soon forget that.

As for the rest of you, you mean to tell me that in the whole tourny no one ran Abu?

A Dark Aggro or Dark WR running Air Pirate and any number of good stallers like CoWG, Stealth Sneak or Gargoyle would've hurt this deck so bad. But no one did that. You guys can't even do what a Dark Deck can do...

God.... You're not allowed to tell me that I suck anymore.

Before I go on too much of a rant of why this could've been prevented, could I ask why it wasn't easy to overcome?

If it has to do with people saying "I'm not gonna prepare for WR because WR is dead" then I'm just gonna lol and lose all respect for people who actually did this. Especially since I saw that coming and warned them of it. I wasn't the only one who said it either.

On the other hand, if it was just because of equipment hate well...

...Well, it's a new mechanic. At least that I could understand.

Haha, since I never actually had to use Hayner I apparently misread him. I thought it just let you search up an Oathkeeper and put it in hand, much better than what I thought.

Highjack said:

Haha, since I never actually had to use Hayner I apparently misread him. I thought it just let you search up an Oathkeeper and put it in hand, much better than what I thought.

Be careful gazing into this abyss too long.

Also, kudos for the Dr. Strangelove ref. Feel free to post my deck too if you haven't deconstructed it yet.

Sluppie said:

I ne'er said Roxas suck'd. A bit underpower'd at this moment, but never suck'd. I've always said each card has a worth 'n value, 'n it may take other cards for a card's value to shine, but never suck'd. There are still more cards to consider in the next set(s) that will seriously help out Roxas, along with the rest of the Org XIII folks (includin a level 0 Nobody that interests me, 'n I'll be mum on that, certainly).

Now, I never did expect anyone to run him in a tourney, I'll give you that. I will also grant that the Roxas Deck was play'd (by what I heard) brilliantly, 'n with that, I support fully. Yes, no one saw it comin, which is why it was sheer genious. 'N also, I've been helpin a friend finish up his Roxas deck for another person to play in a tourney we've got comin up (granted, it's a World Runner deck as well, 'n methinks it needs a few tweaks still).

The decks that are currently need'n help are the Roxas, Xaldin, 'n Axel decks. They don't have enough cards in itself to provide the support they need 'n to play around with to make a self-sufficient deck. Do they suck? Nah. They're great cards, certainly! Underpower'd? A bit, yes. Playable? Certainly, if you want to play them. Would you be able to do much? Not really. The most I can see happenin with these cards are half-potential decks. I'm waitin for their true potential to shine.

But again, major kudos to the Roxas Deck! It was brilliant, genious, 'n clever to boot. Definitely has my two thumbs up!

Sluppie said:

As for the rest of you, you mean to tell me that in the whole tourny no one ran Abu?

A Dark Aggro or Dark WR running Air Pirate and any number of good stallers like CoWG, Stealth Sneak or Gargoyle would've hurt this deck so bad. But no one did that. You guys can't even do what a Dark Deck can do...

I would've! Or at least insomuch that if I had my chance to goin to GenCon, my deck was goin to be my Dark Deck. Definitely somethin no one would've ever seen comin as well. 'N I was goin to play on this fact, too. The only Dark Deck at GenCon? World Runners would've want'd to murder me. 'N I so badly wanted to challenge an Aggro Deck with it, too, with the whole 'Barbossa/Panic' combo. Air Pirate, to me, is a definite must in this deck, for sure.

Sluppie said:

Considerin the perspective of equipment that we've had before (yes, I'm bringin up Set 3), the idea of equipment is a fickle thing. Should I put it in a deck? Should I not? Will someone else? What would they put in? What purpose does it have? Will I get it when I need it? Will it be worth it when I do get it? With this feelin from the previous set, we've aquired new equipment cards, 'n believe me, the feelin still lingers. Equipments have alter'd the game by a hair, 'n this hair makes quite a difference. What you can do with this equipment can determine how well your deck rolls along.

The best scenario I can give is my Dark Deck. It leans heavily on my equipment card. That card is the basis of all my draw power. My deck revolves around it. Can I get by without it? Slowly, yeah. Does the equipment make a difference? YES! It makes a HUGE difference. That's the way the deck was conctructed to be like, rotatin entirely around one equipment card.

Are people entirely ready for equipment yet? Not entirely. We're still arguin if the Kingdom Key has it's merit or not. By itself, it's effect says it can be a good card. You just have to win, right? Kinda tough when you're the lower level, 'n your attack is diddly-squat. However, when it rains, it pours. Get a bunch of cards that help out your player card (Fairy Harp, Oblivion, Ultima Weapon, etc), 'n you can suddenly see your deck flyin with power, makin an equipment card wonderful!

All in all, an equipment card is still a new factor to play upon. Even moreso Events, Techs 'n Nobodies. I don't think anyone will truly grasp their potential just yet.

Then again, maybe it takes just a lil thinkin outside the box. Give it time, aye? C| ;)

Sluppie said:

Granted, I still think he's weak, which means that you won with a weak deck by taking advantage of the fact that no one expected you to run him. That's some pretty epic mindgaming. It's amazing that any number of people (who are supposedly good at this game) failed to this. Whether you did this on purpose or not: grats. I'm sure they won't soon forget that.

The problem here is that there was only 2 people in the tournament from these forums that I would have considered "good at this game"...and they got 2nd and 4th...Fairbanks went a completely different strategy and didn't care about control...and Ecomics doesn't have enough Set 4 cards to effectively run control...sooo...your assumption that the reason he won with Roxas was because no one was running effective ways to stop it would be correct I'd say. Don't get me wrong though, HighJack there is a good player and played the deck well...but even he couldn't have overcome a decent control deck I don't think.

Sluppie said:

This seriously annoyed me as well...no one was running control, which means no Abu, no Yuffie, no Owl or Phil even! I wish I could have played SOOO badly.

Sluppie said:

God.... You're not allowed to tell me that I suck anymore.

Before I go on too much of a rant of why this could've been prevented, could I ask why it wasn't easy to overcome?

If it has to do with people saying "I'm not gonna prepare for WR because WR is dead" then I'm just gonna lol and lose all respect for people who actually did this. Especially since I saw that coming and warned them of it. I wasn't the only one who said it either.

First off, I'd like to officially state that I don't think you suck anymore. You've come a long way sir and your current IDT deck is impressive imo...if it really works as well as you say remains to be seen, but it's definitey a good idea.

Anyway, As I kept saying the reason this did so well is because most of the field was either WR or poorly built Aggro and no control...demonofturks had a decent Aggro deck, which I think was the Roxas deck's only loss?...so just imagine how well a control aggro would have done...

Bottom Line, I will admit that I had my mind changed about Roxas...if there's no control in your metagame, then Roxas is decent...but take that statement as it is...because any deck is good when it's not having its weaknesses exploited. Also, to clarify HighJack , I'm not trying to badmouth you or your playskill, I have respect for what ya did for sure sir, so no offense meant. ^_^

I played against at least one deck that ran both Owl and Phil...

Fairbanks said:

Fair enough...so a deck WAS running Owl and Phil...

...still though...probably not running them correctly if you get my drift.

from my personal experience, most of the people that play this game are bad at it.

idk what the offiicial ruling on it is but i thought that dark/nobody cards power is half rounded down to equal thier support. now i know Roxas doesnt say to half /round thier power down but if you look at it like that then technicially samurai have no support but 12 power. congratulations on winning but if you had a huge boost becasue of a ruling mistake then hahaha double congratulations. if you used them at 6 support then nvm this but you didnt make it seem like this.

WayToTheDawn said:

Fairbanks said:

Fair enough...so a deck WAS running Owl and Phil...

...still though...probably not running them correctly if you get my drift.

Hehe. I wish I could have played my deck in this. Sadly I finished 4th in day one of UFS, and had to play in the top 8 Saturday.

My deck loops stopga and is insane in valor form! I can get it up to 8 unanswered hp loss to the opponent.

Glad a Roxas and WR did well though, not to mention it sounds like you guys had a lot of fun. Special grats to Fairbanks who I'm sure a) did well (second?) and b) built the Roxas deck that 'took it'.

- dut

I used Samurai as 12 support. There is no rule saying nobodies/dark cards used as friends have support equal to half their power, that's text on other player cards. Since it's absent here I see no reason it wouldn't be played with them as a 12. I can see why you'd say they were power 12 with 0 support, but I would assume that since they're in the friend zone the power is just treated as support. Honestly I don't think it would have mattered. Now had people beeng running equipment hate AND samurai was only a 6, then it might have made a difference.

WayToTheDawn said:

First off, I'd like to officially state that I don't think you suck anymore. You've come a long way sir and your current IDT deck is impressive imo...if it really works as well as you say remains to be seen, but it's definitey a good idea.

I appreciate that. And about the IDT, well, I don't really know if it's the best deck ever, but it still seems like a good idea to me. The meta is still young I guess.