Plots please!

By Auguil, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

is it just me or is Arkham Horror basically devoid of real plot-line? as the game invites you to assume the roll of characters it would seem only natural that there are actual reasons for the great old ones arriving other than its just another bad day in the city again! i for one would like to see an expansion which adds numerous in-depth plot lines that the players can really get immersed in. ( i suppose the king in yellow and curse of the dark Pharaoh are plot lines, but not particularly in depth)

Not sure how conducive that would be to the way the game currently plays. I do like the idea of stories in a game, but the abstract nature of Arkham Horror might be hard to overcome with this sort of thing. It's probably also best to see an episode of Arkham Horror as a self-contained thing, and not as "oh no not again...didn'T Abhoth try invading the town just two days ago? sheesh."

Anyhoo, between the Mythos cards and the back of the player character cards, there already is a sort of story going on - the group of players that did the League of Writers thread on the old forums used these expertly to forge a story of their own, though they didn'T finish (they might be revving up to another one, you'll have to check out their thread here: new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp )

*edit*

Though I do not know where they are, someone did create a sort of Arkham casebook campaign system, which might be what you are looking for. Someone else from the old guard will have to point this out though, I never saved the links to that stuff.

What do you do in the game?

TheChampIsHere said:

Sigh.

Do you really want to know or are you just trying to get your post count/points up? I ask because this is your 2nd post of a generic nature I ran across in the last 2 minutes. If you are really interested, go read the product description and then come back with some specific questions. Or wait for someone else with more patience to answer.

ColtsFan76 said:

TheChampIsHere said:

Sigh.

Do you really want to know or are you just trying to get your post count/points up? I ask because this is your 2nd post of a generic nature I ran across in the last 2 minutes. If you are really interested, go read the product description and then come back with some specific questions. Or wait for someone else with more patience to answer.

And looking at your profile, looks like you have had a busy afternoon. The same generic question is asked in almost every forum. I would think if you actuually own all of these game - since you also apparently own everything that FFG has published, you could play some opf these games and tell us what to do.

This new point system is pathetic.

Victimizer said:

Though I do not know where they are, someone did create a sort of Arkham casebook campaign system, which might be what you are looking for. Someone else from the old guard will have to point this out though, I never saved the links to that stuff.

That would be Arkham Investigations . And it's really an excellent piece of work.

@TheChampIsHere: What do you do in the game?

We sacrifice points trolls to Tsathoggua. For every 5 sacrifices, we get 1 GOO point. When the stars are right, there will be a drawing amongst all those who have accumulated GOO points. The winner gets to be eaten first by Cthulhu.

But don't take my word for it. Check out the rules for yourself.

Cheers,
Chris

Thelric said:

@TheChampIsHere: What do you do in the game?

We sacrifice points trolls to Tsathoggua. For every 5 sacrifices, we get 1 GOO point. When the stars are right, there will be a drawing amongst all those who have accumulated GOO points. The winner gets to be eaten first by Cthulhu.

ROTFLMAO! partido_risa.gif Well played, sir.

This is even more annoying than the point-trolling friend requests. But I digress.

"ninjadorg" on the old forums posted character-specific missions. It's nowhere near the amzing intricacy of Arkham Investigations, but it does use a mechanic (missions) already in the core rules:

http://bp2.blogger.com/_OP5KjARxU8A/SB24S4W48VI/AA...kOqptWY/s1600-h/Missions+1.jpg

http://bp0.blogger.com/_OP5KjARxU8A/SB24TYW48WI/AA...CgNot8w/s1600-h/Missions+2.jpg

Hey, thanks for the links, but the second link seems to have been truncated. Any chance of getting the full link up please?

That first page of missions looked quite interesting, and would love to see the second.

While I don't quite need an actually "mechanistic" plot, I do like it when there is some flavor text (paragraph or so) that accompanies the scenerios. I think this provides a nice framework for my imagination to wrap around.

I think if you want a plot that relates to game play I would follow the links above or look on the old posts for player's Strange Eon posts. Perhaps FFG will set up a place to transfer all of that over?

Other than that I would read some of Lovecraft's stories which will provide background for the narratives that form while playing AH.

thorgrim said:

Hey, thanks for the links, but the second link seems to have been truncated. Any chance of getting the full link up please?
That first page of missions looked quite interesting, and would love to see the second.

I don't know about the links above, but you can find the source files for the missions at the link below, if that helps:
http://thelric.googlepages.com/NinjaDorgsMissions.zip

Excellent, thanks for that Thelric. Will have to test these out next time my group gets together.